This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Three-Dimensional Multi-phase Physics-Based Modeling Methodology to Study Engine Cylinder-kit Assembly Tribology and Design Considerations- Part I
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Understanding cylinder-kit tribology is pivotal to durability, emission management, reduced oil consumption, and efficiency of the internal combustion engine. This work addresses the understanding of the fundamental aspects of oil transport and combustion gas flow in the cylinder kit, using simulation tools and high-performance computing. A dynamic three-dimensional multi-phase, multi-component modeling methodology is demonstrated to study cylinder-kit assembly tribology during the four-stroke cycle of a piston engine. The percentage of oil and gas transported through different regions of the piston ring pack is predicted, and the mechanisms behind this transport are analyzed. The velocity field shows substantial circumferential flow in the piston ring pack, leading to blowback into the combustion chamber during the expansion stroke. Oil initialization and management of a continuous supply of oil throughout the cycle are observed to govern how much oil would be lost to the crankcase and combustion chamber. The calculated blow-by results agree with the results of a quasi-one-dimensional cylinder-kit analysis system of programs known as CASE (Cylinder-kit Analysis System for Engines). Implementing this three-dimensional methodology leads to a better understanding of cylinder-kit fluid flow physics. The findings presented in this work pave the way to further the ongoing development effort of optimum cylinder kit designs with controlled gas leakage, low oil consumption, and low cylinder kit friction.
CitationChowdhury, S., Kharazmi, A., Atis, C., and Schock, H., "Three-Dimensional Multi-phase Physics-Based Modeling Methodology to Study Engine Cylinder-kit Assembly Tribology and Design Considerations- Part I," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2230, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2230.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Atis, C., Chowdhury, S.S., Ayele, Y., Stuecken, T. et al. , “Ultra-Lean and High EGR Operation of Dual Mode, Turbulent Jet Ignition (DM-TJI) Engine with Active Pre-chamber Scavenging,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1117, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1117.
- Richardson, D.E. , “Review of power cylinder friction for diesel engines,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 122(4):506-519, 2000.
- Hill, S.H., and Sytsma, S.J. , “A Systems Approach to Oil Consumption,” SAE Technical Paper 910743, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910743.
- Ingwersen, J., Pederson, P.S., Nielsen, T., Larsen, E., and Fenger, J. , Effects on Pollution of a Reduction or Removal of Lead Addition to Engine Fuel.
- Trier, C.J., Coates, D.S., Fussey, D.E., and Rhead, M.M. , “The contribution of lubricating oil to diesel exhaust emissions,” Sci. Total Environ. 93:167-174, 1990.
- Sakurai, H., Tobias, H.J., Park, K., Zarling, D. et al. , “On-line measurements of diesel nanoparticle composition and volatility,” Atmos. Environ. 37(9-10):1199-1210, 2003.
- Ruddy, B.L., Dowson, D., Economou, P.N., and Baker, A.J.S. , “Piston-ring lubrication. Part III. The influence of ring dynamics and ring twist,” Energy Conserv. through Fluid Film Lubr. Technol. Front. Res. Des. 191-215, 1979.
- Gamble, R.J., Priest, M., and Taylor, C.M. , “Detailed analysis of oil transport in the piston assembly of a gasoline engine,” Tribol. Lett. 14(2):147-156, 2003, doi:10.1023/A:1021712506331.
- Tian, T., Rabute, R., Wong, V.W., and Heywood, J.B. , “Effects of Piston-Ring Dynamics on Ring/Groove Wear and Oil Consumption in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 970835, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970835.
- Tian, T., and Wong, V.W. , “Modeling the lubrication, dynamics, and effects of piston dynamic tilt of twin-land oil control rings in internal combustion engines,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 122(1):119-129, 2000.
- Tian, T. , “Dynamic behaviours of piston rings and their practical impact. Part 1: ring flutter and ring collapse and their effects on gas flow and oil transport,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part J J. Eng. Tribol. 216(4):209-228, 2002.
- Tian, T. , “Dynamic behaviours of piston rings and their practical impact. Part 2: oil transport, friction and wear of ring/liner interface and the effects of piston and ring dynamics,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part J J. Eng. Tribol. 216(4):229-248, 2002.
- Thirouard, B., Tian, T., and Hart, D.P. , “Investigation of Oil Transport Mechanisms in the Piston Ring Pack of a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine, Using Two Dimensional Laser Induced Fluorescence,” SAE Technical Paper 982658, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982685.
- Thirouard, B., and Tian, T. , “Oil Transport in the Piston Ring Pack (Part I): Identification and Characterization of the Main Oil Transport Routes and Mechanisms,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1952, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1952.
- Thirouard, B., and Tian, T. , “Oil Transport in the Piston Ring Pack (Part II): Zone Analysis and Macro Oil Transport Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1953, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1953.
- Yilmaz, E. , Sources and Characteristics of Oil Consumption in a Spark-Ignition Engine (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2003).
- Baelden, C., and Tian, T. , “A Dual Grid Curved Beam Finite Element Model of Piston Rings for Improved Contact Capabilities,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(1):156-171, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1085.
- Liu, Y., Li, Y., and Tian, T. , “Development and Application of Ring-Pack Model Integrating Global and Local Processes. Part 2: Ring-Liner Lubrication,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(4):1969-1983, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1047.
- Bhouri, M.A. , Curved Beam Based Model for Piston-Ring Designs in Internal Combustion Engines (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2017).
- Wang, Yuan , S.M.M.I. of T., “Air flow effects in the piston ring pack and their implications on oil transport,” Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2012.
- Fang, T. , Computations and Modeling of Oil Transport between Piston Lands and Liner in Internal Combustion Engines (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2014).
- Przesmitzki, S.S.V. , Characterization of Oil Transport in the Power Cylinder of Internal Combustion Engines during Steady State and Transient Operation (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2008).
- Felter, C.L. , “Lubrication of Piston Rings in Large 2 - and 4 - stroke Diesel Engines,” Technical University of Denmark, Kgs. Lyngby, ISBN 9788774753476, 2007.
- Shahmohamadi, H., Rahmani, R., Rahnejat, H., King, P., and Garner, C. , “Cavitating flow in engine piston ring-cylinder liner conjunction,” in ASME 2013 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection, 2013.
- Shahmohamadi, H., Mohammadpour, M., Rahmani, R., Rahnejat, H. et al. , “On the boundary conditions in multi-phase flow through the piston ring-cylinder liner conjunction,” Tribol. Int. 90:164-174, 2015.
- Hronza, J., and Bell, D. , “A Lubrication and Oil Transport Model for Piston Rings Using a Navier-Stokes Equation with Surface Tension,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1053, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1053.
- Puthiya Veettil, M., and Shi, F. , “CFD Analysis of Oil/Gas Flow in Piston Ring-Pack,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1406, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1406.
- Oliva, A., Held, S., Herdt, A., and Wachtmeister, G. , “Numerical Simulation of the Gas Flow Through the Piston Ring Pack of an Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1302, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1302.
- Oliva, A., and Held, S. , “Numerical multiphase simulation and validation of the flow in the piston ring pack of an internal combustion engine,” Tribol. Int. 101:98-109, 2016.
- Lyubarskyy, P., and Bartel, D. , “2D CFD-model of the piston assembly in a diesel engine for the analysis of piston ring dynamics, mass transport and friction,” Tribol. Int. 104(September):352-368, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.triboint.2016.09.017.
- Urzua, Dr.P., Lehnen, A., Otte, R., Prouvier, M., V.A.P.D.T, A.W., Tian, Q., Zhang, Y.L.-M., , “Detailed Fuel and Oil Transport Simulation for Understanding Low Speed Pre-Ignition - LSPI,” in 13th International AVL Symposium on Propulsion Diagnostics, Kurhaus, Baden-Baden, Germany, 2018.
- CASE Theoretical Manual, MID MICHIGAN Res., 2020.
- Brombolich, L.J. , “Structural Mechanics of Piston Rings,” Compu-Tec Eng. Intern. Report, St. Louis, MO, 1993.
- Ejakov, M.A., Schock, H.J., Brombolich, L.J., Carlstrom, C.M., and Williams, R.L. , “Simulation Analysis of Inter-Ring Gas Pressure and Ring Dynamics and Their Effect on Blow-by,” ASME Pap., 1997.
- Ejakov, M.A., Hascher, H.G., Schock, H.J., Brombolich, L.J. et al. , Simulation Analysis of Ring Pack Behavior in a Deactivated Cylinder (New York, NY (United States): American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1996).
- Ejakov, M.A., Schock, H.J., and Brombolich, L.J. , “Modeling of Ring Twist for an IC Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 982693, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982693.
- Chui, B.-K., Schock, H.J., Fedewa, A.M., Richardson, D.E., and Shaw, T. , “Coupled Model of Partially Flooded Lubrication and Oil Vaporization in an Internal Combustion Engine,” in ASME 2005 Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection: 447-456, 2005.
- Chui, B.-K. and Schock, H.J. , “Computational Analysis of Piston-Ring Wear and Oil Consumption for An Internal Combustion Engine,” in ASME 2002 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection: 461-469, 2002.
- Panayi, A., Schock, H., Chui, B.-K., and Ejakov, M. , “Parameterization and FEA Approach for the Assessment of Piston Characteristics,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0429, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0429.
- Cheng, C., Kharazmi, A., Schock, H., Wineland, R., and Brombolich, L. , “Three-dimensional piston ring-cylinder bore contact modeling,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 137(11), 2015.
- Kharazmi, A. , “Three Dimensional Analysis of the Gas Flow in Piston Ring Pack,” Michigan State University, ISBN 0355361442, 2017.
- Reynolds, O. , “IV. On the theory of lubrication and its application to Mr. Beauchamp tower’s experiments, including an experimental determination of the viscosity of olive oil,” Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London (177):157-234, 1886.
- Patir, N. and Cheng, H.S. , “An average flow model for determining effects of three-dimensional roughness on partial hydrodynamic lubrication,” 1978.
- Greenwood, J.A., and Tripp, J.H. , “The contact of two nominally flat rough surfaces,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 185(1):625-633, 1970.
- Archard, J.F. , “Contact and rubbing of flat surfaces,” J. Appl. Phys. 24(8):981-988, 1953, doi:10.1063/1.1721448.
- Antoine, C. , “Vapor Pressure: a new relationship between pressure and temperature,” Comptes Rendus Des Séances l’Académie Des Sci. (in French), 1888.
- CONVERGE, C.F.D. , “Software,(version 2.1. 0), convergent science,” Inc., Middleton, WI, 2013.
- Manninen, M., Taivassalo, V., and Kallio, S. , On the mixture model for multiphase flow, 1996.
- Hirt, C.W., and Nichols, B.D. , “Volume of fluid (VOF) method for the dynamics of free boundaries,” J. Comput. Phys. 39(1):201-225, 1981.
- Convergent Science , “CONVERGE Manual v2.4,” 2017.
- Waclawczyk, T., and Koronowicz, T. , “Modeling of the wave breaking with CICSAM and HRIC high resolution schemes,” Eur. Conf. Comput. Fluid Dyn. 1-19, 2006.
- Fefferman, C.L. , “Existence and smoothness of the Navier-Stokes equation,” Millenn. Prize Probl. 57:67, 2006.
- Launder, B.E., and Sharma, B.I. , “Application of the energy-dissipation model of turbulence to the calculation of flow near a spinning disc,” Lett. Heat Mass Transf. 1(2):131-137, 1974.
- Redlich, O., and Kwong, J.N.S. , “On the thermodynamics of solutions. V. An equation of state. Fugacities of gaseous solutions,” Chem. Rev. 44(1):233-244, 1949.
- Issa, R.I. , “Solution of the implicitly discretised fluid flow equations by operator-splitting,” J. Comput. Phys. 62(1):40-65, 1986.
- Courant, R., Friedrichs, K., and Lewy, H. , “On the partial difference equations of mathematical physics,” IBM J. Res. Dev. 11(2):215-234, 1967.
- Yilmaz, E., Tian, T., Wong, V.W., and Heywood, J.B. , “The Contribution of Different Oil Consumption Sources to Total Oil Consumption in a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2909, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2909.
- Bilicki, Z., and Kestin, J. , “Physical aspects of the relaxation model in two-phase flow,” Proc. R. Soc. London. A. Math. Phys. Sci. 428(1875):379-397, 1990.
- Downar-Zapolski, P., Bilicki, Z., Bolle, L., and Franco, F. , “The Non-Equilibrium Relaxation Model for One-Dimensional Flashing Liquid Flow,” in 3rd ASME JSME Joint Fluids Engineering Conference, 616, 1999.
- Launder, B.E., and Spalding, D.B. , “The numerical computation of turbulent flows,�. In: Numerical Prediction of Flow, Heat Transfer, Turbulence and Combustion, (Elsevier, 1983), 96-116.
- Amsden, A.A., and Findley, M. , KIVA-3V: A Block-Structured KIVA Program for Engines with Vertical or Canted Valves (Livermore, CA (United States: Lawrence Livermore National Lab.(LLNL), 1997).
- Dursunkaya, Z., Keribar, R., and Richardson, D.E. , “Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Inter-ring Gas Pressures and Blowby in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 930792, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930792.
- Tian, T., Noordzij, L.B., Wong, V.W., and Heywood, J.B. , “Modeling piston-ring dynamics, blowby, and ring-twist effects,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 120, 1998.
- Thirouard, B. , Characterization and Modeling of the Fundamental Aspects of Oil Transport in the Piston Ring Pack of Internal Combustion Engines (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001).
- Tamai, G. , Experimental study of engine oil film thickness dependence on liner location, oil properties and operating conditions, 1995.
- Noordzij, L.B. , Measurement and analysis of piston inter-ring pressures and oil film thickness and their effects on engine oil consumption, 1996.
- De Petris, C., Giglio, V., and Police, G. , “A Mathematical Model of the Evaporation of the Oil Film Deposed on the Cylinder Surface of IC Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 972920, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972920.
- Inagaki, H., Saito, A., Murakami, M., and Konomi, T. , “Development of Two-dimensional Oil Film Thickness Distribution Measuring System,” SAE Technical Paper 952346, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952346.
- Nakashima, K., Ishihara, S., and Urano, K. , “Influence of Piston Ring Gaps on Lubricating Oil Flow into the Combustion Chamber,” SAE Technical Paper 952546, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952546.
- Saito, K., Igashira, T., and Nakada, M. , “Analysis of Oil Consumption by Observing Oil Behavior around Piston Ring Using a Glass Cylinder Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 892107, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/892107.
- Furuhama, S., Hiruma, M., and Yoshida, H. , “An Increase of Engine Oil Consumption at High Temperature of Piston and Cylinder,” SAE Technical Paper 810976, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810976.
- Orrin, D.S., and Coles, B.W. , “Effects of Engine Oil Composition on Oil Consumption,” SAE Technical Paper 710141, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710141.
- Stewart, R.M. and Selby, T.W. , “The relationship between oil viscosity and engine performance-a literature search,” in The Relationship Between Engine Oil Viscosity and Engine Performance, ASTM International, 1977.
- Wahiduzzaman, S., Keribar, R., Dursunkaya, Z., and Kelley, F.A. , “A Model for Evaporative Consumption of Lubricating Oil in Reciprocating Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 922202, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922202.
- Audette, W.E. III, and Wong, V.W. , “A Model for Estimating Oil Vaporization from the Cylinder Liner as a Contributing Mechanism to Engine Oil Consumption,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1520, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1520.
- Zhang, Q., Tian, T., and Koeser, P. , “A One-Line Correlation for Predicting Oil Vaporization from Liner for IC Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0162, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/10.4271/2018-01-0162.