This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Durability Tests of Gaskets in Biofuels Environment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The production of biofuels to means of transport allows the additional development and the full maintenance of the agricultural sector. The biofuel of II generation may be produced with usage of waste fats and oils. That biofuel is total renewable source of energy. The properties of tested new biofuels were described. Their influence on pipes and especially gaskets and gasket materials during durability tests was determined.
Gasket materials were tested in accordance with DIN 28090-3: 2014-11 and DIN28091-2. During 1000 hours of tests at 353 K, the weight loss of the biofuel and the change in elongation (tensile stress) of the flange bolts were measured. Fuel leakage rate was calculated.
The gaskets were checked and no delamination was observed.
The value of volatile biofuels emission after 1000 hours of testing was less than allowed in DIN Standard. Fuel leakage rate was also lower too. The main conclusion of this research was the suggestion that the gasket materials used may be allowed for contact with diesel with ethyl esters and diesel with methyl esters and ethanol named BIOXDIESEL.
CitationRogula, J., "Durability Tests of Gaskets in Biofuels Environment," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2138, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2138.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Struś, M., Rewolte, M., Rogula, J., and Trawiński, G. , “Efficiency of Diesel Engine Fuelled with Biofuels of Second Generation BIOXDIESEL,” Journal of KONES Powertrain and Transport 22(4), 2015.
- Struś, M. , “Reduction of Toxic Emissions by Using Three-Components Biofuel,” Polish Journal of Environmental Studies. 20(4A, s):322-328, 2011.
- Struś, M., and Poprawski, W. , “Improvement of the Compression Ignition Behaviour and Combustion Efficiency of the Second Generation Biofuel BIOXDIESEL,” Combustion Engines 178(3, s):187-190, 2019.
- Struś, M., Poprawski, W., Rewolte, M. , Testing of the Fleet of the Vehicles with Diesel Engines Fed by BIOXDIESEL Fuel, Combustion Engines, 2017, R. 46, No. 3, s, 37-41.
- “PN-EN 1514 - 1:2001- Flanges and Their Joints, Dimensions of Gaskets for PN-Designated Flanges, Non-Metallic Flat Gaskets with or Without Inserts.�
- “DIN 28090-3:2014-11 - Static Gaskets For Flange Connections - Gaskets Made from Sheets - Part 3: Chemical Resistance Test Procedures.”
- “DIN 28091-2 - Technical Delivery Conditions for Gasket Sheets - Part 2: Fibre-Based Gasket Materials (FA); Requirements and Testing.�
- Bharadwaj, M., Claramunt, S., and Srinivasan, S. , “Modeling Creep Relaxation of Polytetrafluorethylene Gaskets for Finite Element Analysis,” International Journal of Materials, Mechanics and Manufacturing 5(2), May 2017.
- Sorvari, J., and Malinen, M. , “Determination of the Relaxation Modulus of a Linearly Viscoelastic Material,” Mech. Time-Depend. Mater. 10:125-133, 2006.
- Wasmi, H.R., Abdullah, M., and Jassim, Q. , “Development of Model for Creep Relaxation of Soft Gaskets in Bolted Joints at Room Temperature,” International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology 6(4), 2016.
- Bouzid, H.A., and Nechache, A. , “An Analytical Solution for Evaluating Gasket Stress Change in Bolted Flange Connections Subjected to High Temperature Loading,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology 127(4), 2005.
- Abid, M., Iqbal, S., and Khushnood, S. , “Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis of Gasketed Flange Joints under Combined Internal Pressure and Different Thermal Loading Conditions,” Failure of Engineering Materials and Structures, 2007.
- Guruchannabasavaiah, N.G., and Arun, L.R. , “Effect of Temperature and Associated Deformations on the Gasket Seal Compression in a Pressure Vessel,” International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research 4, Issue 8, 2013.