This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigations on the Spray-Atomization of Various Fuels for an Outwardly Opening Piezo Injector for the Application to a Pilot Injection Passenger Car Gas Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Pilot injection gas engines are commonly used as large stationary engines. Often, the combustion is implemented as a dual-fuel strategy, which allows both mixed and diesel-only operation, based on a diesel engine architecture. The current research project focuses on the application of pilot injection in an engine based on gasoline components of the passenger car segment, which are more cost-effective than diesel components. The investigated strategy does not aim for a diesel-only combustion, hence only small liquid quantities are used for the main purpose of providing a strong, reliable ignition source for the natural gas charge. This approach is mainly driven to provide a reliable alternative to the high spark ignition energies required for high cylinder charge densities.
When using such small liquid quantities, a standard common-rail diesel nozzle will apparently not be ideal regarding some general specifications. Due to this fact, an outwardly opening piezo injector is intended to be used due to its high performance in several aspects. An issue, which is almost unknown in literature, is the atomization behavior for fuel types differing significantly from the viscosity properties of regular gasoline fuel.
The aim of this publication is to clarify, whether the outwardly opening piezo injector can produce an atomization quality, which is sufficient to be used as a pilot injection ignition source for natural gas engines. The experimental results were obtained by means of a combined methodology using both Mie-scattering and PDA (Phase Doppler Anemometry) in a constant volume chamber. The injected masses showed a difference of up to 30% for the examined fuels, whereas liquid penetrations displayed a smaller difference. The Sauter Mean Diameters (SMD) for diesel-like fuels were 5…10μm larger compared to operation on gasoline-like fuels. Additionally, the needle motion for given actuation parameters was studied using a laser vibrometer. Influences of rail pressure, injector temperature, actuation time and reproducibility were investigated, showing that the injector has great reproducibility, but on the other hand requires a complex understanding of the actuation strategy in engine operation.
CitationHummel, S., Berner, H., Altenschmidt, F., Schenk, M. et al., "Investigations on the Spray-Atomization of Various Fuels for an Outwardly Opening Piezo Injector for the Application to a Pilot Injection Passenger Car Gas Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2117, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2117.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- R. van Basshuysen , Natural Gas and Renewable Methane for Powertrains, Wiesbaden, Germany: Springer Fachmedien, 2015, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-23225-6.
- G. Kogler and A. Wimmer, "Potential of HCCl for Large Natural Gas Fueled Engines," in CIMAC World Congress on Combustion Engine Technology for Ship Propulsion, Power Generation, Rail Traction, Wien, Austria, 2007.
- Taenzler, A.G. , Experimentelle Untersuchung eines Dual-Fuel-Brennverfahrens für schwere Nutzfahrzeugmotoren (Wiesbaden, Germany: Springer Vieweg, 2017), doi:10.1007/978-3-658-18921-1.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (New York: McGraw-Hill Inc., 1988) ISBN: 0-07-100499-8.
- A. Schmid, B. Schneider, K. Boulouchos, M. Mojtabi and G. Wigley, "Experimental investigation on the spray behaviour for a hollow cone piezo injector with a multiple injection strategy," in ILASS - Europe 2010, 23rd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Brno, Czech Republic, 2010.
- F. E. Czarneski, S. H. Och and L. M. Moura, "Characterization of Nozzle Tip Temperature of Diesel Injector in a Dual Fuel Engine," in 7th European Combustion Meeting, Budapest, Hungary, 2015.
- A. Schmid , "Experimental Characterization of the Two Phase Flow of a Modern, Piezo Activated Hollow Cone Injector," PhD-Thesis, ETH Zurich, Zurich, 2012.
- Schmid, A., Schneider, B., Boulouchos, K., and Wigley, G., “Experimental Investigations on a Piezo-Activated Hollow Cone Injector - Part I: Measurement of Needle Lift and Its Influence on Spray Morphology,” Atomization and Sprays (10):841-857, 2014, doi:10.1615/AtomizSpr.2014007329.
- Schmid, A., Schneider, B., Boulouchos, K., and Wigley, G., “Experimental Investigations on a Piezo-Activated Hollow Cone Injector - Part II: The Influence of Needle Lift on Droplet Size Distributions and Vortex Formation,” Atomization and Sprays (10):859-873, 2014, doi:10.1615/AtomizSpr.2014007330.
- Gavaises, M., Tonini, S., Marchi, A., Theodorakakos, A. et al., “Modeling of Internal and Near-Nozzle Flow of a Pintle-Type Outwards-Opening Gasoline Piezo-Injector,” Int. J. Engine Res. 7:381-397, 2006, doi:10.1243/14680874JER00306.
- H. Baecker and M. Tichy, "Investigation of Injection Concepts to Optimize the Combustion Process for Spray-Guided GDI Methods by Using Optical Techniques," in The Working Process of the Internal Combustion Engine, Graz, Austria, 2005.
- T. Breuninger , „Untersuchung der Spraycharakteristik von Piezo-Injektoren in Bezug auf das Entflammungsverhalten beim strahlgeführten Brennverfahren,“ PhD-Thesis, Universität Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany, 2012.
- Marchi, A., Nouri, J.M., Yan, Y., and Arcoumanis, C., “Spray Stability of Outwards Opening Pintle Injectors for Stratified Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine Operation,” Int. J. of Engine Research 413-437, 2010, doi:10.1243/14680874JER605.
- Martin, D., Cardenas, M., Pischke, P., and Kneer, R., “Experimental Investigation of Near Nozzle Spray Structure and Velocity for a GDI Hollow Cone Spray,” Atomization and Sprays 1065-1076, 2010, doi:10.1615/AtomizSpr.v20.i12.40.
- Martin, D., Pische, P., and Kneer, R., “Investigation of the Influence of Multiple Gasoline Direct Injections on Macroscopic Spray Quantities at Different Boundary Conditions by Means of Visualization Techniques,” Int. J. of Engine Research 439-454, 2010, doi:10.1243/14680874JER525.
- Nouri, J.M., Hamid, M.A., Yan, Y., and Arcoumanis, C., “Spray Characterization of a Piezo Pintle-Type Injector for Gasoline Direct Injection Engines,” J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 85:012037, London, 2007, doi:10.1088/1742-6596/85/1/012037.
- Nouri, J.M., Marchi, A., Yan, Y., and Arcoumanis, C., “Internal Flow and Spray Characteristics of a Pintle-Type Outward Opening Piezo-Injector,” Transactions Journal of Engines 915-934, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1406.
- Dong, Q., Ishima, T., Kawashima, H., and Long, W., “A Study on the Spray Characteristics of a Piezo Pintle-Type Injector for DI Gasoline Engines,” J. of Mechanical Science and Technology 27:1981-1993, 2013.
- Beatrice, C., Belgiorno, G., Di Blasio, G., Mancaruso, E. et al., “Analysis of a Prototype High-Pressure “Hollow Cone Spray” Diesel Injector Performance in Optical and Metal Research Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0073, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0073.
- Migliaccio, M., Montanaro, A., Beatrice, C., Napolitano, P. et al., “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a High-Pressure Outwardly Opening Hollow Cone Spray Injector for Automotive Engines,” Fuel 196:508-519, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2017.01.020.
- Vacca, A., Hummel, S., Müller, K., Reichenbacher, M. et al., “Virtual Development of Injector Spray Targeting by Coupling 3D-CFD Simulations with Optical Investigations,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1157, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1157.
- R. van Basshuysen and F. Schäfer, Handbuch Verbrennungsmotor, Wiesbaden: Vieweg+Teubner, 2010, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-658-04678-1.
- G. Wigley, M. Mehdi, M. Williams, G. Pitcher and J. Helie, "The Effect of Fuel Properties on Liquid Breakup and Atomisation in GDI Sprays," in ICLASS - 2006, 10th International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Kyoto, Japan, 2006.
- Curl, H., and O'Donnell, K., Chemical and Physical Properties of Refined Petroleum Products (Boulder, CO, USA: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1977).
- P. Risberg , "Describing the Auto-Ignition Quality of Fuels in HCCI Engines," PhD-Thesis, KTH Royal Insitute of Technology, Stockholm, 2006.
- Yanowitz, J., Ratcliff, M.A., McCormick, R.L., Taylor, J.D., and Murphy, M., Compendium of Experimental Cetane Numbers (Golden CO, USA: National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2014), doi:10.2172/1150177.
- P. J. Lindstrom and W. Mallard, NIST Chemistry WebBook, NIST Standard Reference Database Number 69, Gaithersburg MD, USA: National Institute of Standards and Technology, retrieved May 2020, DOI: 10.18434/T4D303.
- Bulanov, N.V., and Skripov, V.P., “Viskosität von Fluessigkeiten im metastabil ueberhitzten Zustand,” Teplofiz. Vys. Temp. 12:1184-1187, 1974.
- Bailey, B., Eberhardt, J., Goguen, S., and Erwin, J., “Diethyl Ether (DEE) as a Renewable Diesel Fuel,” SAE Transactions Vol. 106, Section 4: Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 1578-1584, 1997.
- Mojtabi, M., Wigley, G., and Helie, J., “The Effect of Flash Boiling on the Atomization Performance of GDI Multi-Stream Injectors,” Atomization and Sprays 24(6):467-493, 1, 2014, doi:10.1615/AtomizSpr.2014008296.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Gasoline Fuel Injector Spray Measurement and Characterization,” SAE Standard J2715, Rev. Mar. 2007, 10.4271/2008-01-1068.
- Payri, R., Araneo, L., Shakal, J., and Soare, V., “Phase Doppler Measurements: System Set-Up Optimization for Characterization of a Diesel Nozzle,” J. of Mech. Sc. and Techn. 22:1620-1632, 2008, doi:10.1007/s12206-008-0432-7.
- T. Merk , “Experimental Investigation and Modeling of the Mass Flow Behaviour of DI-Injectors,” B.Sc.-Thesis, University of Stuttgart, 2019.
- P. Hankeln and L. Klein, "Design and development of a temperature conditioning system for injectors," Term Paper, University of Stuttgart, 2019.
- I. Pribicevic , “Dieselmotorische Gemischbildung und Verbrennung bei Einspritzdruecken bis 300 MPa, PhD-Thesis,” TUM, Munich, 2013.
- Li, F., Xu, Z., Wei, X., and Yao, X., “Determination of Temperature Dependence of Piezoelectric Coefficients Matrix of Lead Zirconate Titanate Ceramics by Quasi-Static and Resonance Method,” J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 42:095417, 2009, doi:10.1088/0022-3727/42/9/095417.