This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Cycle Closed-Loop Combustion Control for Pilot Misfire Compensation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Pilot injections are normally used for the reduction of diesel engine emissions and combustion noise. Nonetheless, with a penalty on the indicated thermal efficiency. The cost is reduced by the minimization of the pilot mass, which on its counterpart increases the risk of pilot misfire. Pilot misfire can have a higher penalty on the indicated efficiency if it is not compensated adequately. This paper investigates how in-cycle closed-loop combustion control techniques can reduce the effects of pilot misfire events.
By closed-loop combustion control, pilot misfire can be detected and counteracted in-cycle. Two injection strategies are investigated. The first is the control of the main injection, the second includes an additional second pilot injection. Based on the in-cycle misfire diagnose, two architectures are investigated. The first uses a cycle-to-cycle controller to set the main injection under each scenario. The second is a fully in-cycle controller with feedback from predictive models. All the algorithms were tested experimentally in a Scania D13 engine.
The results confirmed that in-cycle closed-loop combustion control can effectively reduce the effects of pilot misfire. An error of +1.5CAD on the main SOC and −0.5bar IMEP on the engine load was reduced to 0±0.6CAD and 0±0.4bar IMEP using the cycle-to-cycle architecture. The predictive in-cycle control can further reduce the error of the main SOC to 0±0.4CAD and 0±0.2bar IMEP for the engine load. These two approaches had one degree of freedom, and therefore only one of the combustion timing parameters (SOC or CA50) was regulated successfully. With the additional degree of freedom of the second pilot injection, the misfire effects were not only reduced, but also fully counteracted.
The methods are limited by the time window where pilot misfire observability and controllability overlap. This is set by the injections’ separations and the respective ignition delays. The second pilot injection can be further improved by the regulation of its injection timing and duration. The results can enhance the nominal set-up optimization by including the in-cycle controllability and regulation performance in the constraints.
CitationJorques Moreno, C., Stenlaas, O., and Tunestal, P., "In-Cycle Closed-Loop Combustion Control for Pilot Misfire Compensation," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2086, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2086.
- Zhang, L. , “A Study of Pilot Injection in a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3493.
- Okude, K., Mori, K., Shiino, S., Yamada, K. et al. , “Effects of Multiple Injections on Diesel Emission and Combustion Characteristics,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4178, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-4178.
- Jorques Moreno, C., Stenlåås, O., and Tunestål, P. , “Investigation of Small Pilot Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(3):2017-1-2017-718, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0718.
- Jorques Moreno, C., Stenlåås, O., and Tunestål, P. , “Influence of Small Pilot on Main Injection in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-1-708, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-1-708.
- Turesson, G. , Model-Based Optimization of Combustion-Engine Control (Lund University, 2018), ISBN:9789177537052.
- Willems, F., Doosje, E., Engels, F., and Seykens, X. , “Cylinder Pressure-Based Control in Heavy-Duty EGR Diesel Engines using a Virtual Heat Release and Emission Sensor,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-1-564, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-1-564.
- Jorques Moreno, C., Stenlåås, O., and Tunestål, P. , “In-Cycle Closed-Loop Combustion Control with Pilot-Main Injections for Maximum Indicated Efficiency,” IFAC-PapersOnLine 51(31):92-98, 2018.
- Jorques Moreno, C., Stenlaas, O., and Tunestal, P. , “Cylinder Pressure Based Method for In-Cycle Pilot Misfire Detection,” SAE Int. J. Adv. Curr. Pr. Mobil. 2(2):488-502, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0017.
- Jorques Moreno, C., Stenlaas, O., and Tunestal, P. , “Influence of Small Pilot on Main Injection in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0708, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0708.
- Heywood, J.B. , “Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals,” 6th ed., McGraw Hill Education, New York, ISBN 0-07-100499-8, 1988.
- Denny, M. , On the Combustion Characteristics of Closely-Coupled LD Diesel Injection Strategies (Lund University, 2019).
- Yoon, S.J., Park, B., Park, J., and Park, S. , “Effect of Pilot Injection on Engine Noise in a Single Cylinder Compression Ignition Engine,” Int. J. Automot. Technol. 16(4):571-579, 2015, doi:10.1007/s12239-015-0058-6.
- van Nieuwstadt, M.J. and Kolmanovsky, I.V. , “Detecting and Correcting Cylinder Imbalance in Direct Injection Engines,” J. Dyn. Syst. Meas. Control. Trans. ASME 123(3):413-424, 2001, doi:10.1115/1.1386647.
- Johansson, B. , Combustion Engines (Lund: LTH, 2012).
- Burcat, A. , “Thermochemical Data for Combustion Calculations,” In: Combustion Chemistry, (Springer New York, 1984), 455-473, doi:10.1007/978-1-4684-0186-8_8.
- Zander, C.-G., Tunestal, P., Stenlåås, O., and Johansson, B. , “In-Cycle Closed Loop Control of the Fuel Injection on a 1-Cylinder Heavy Duty CI-Engine,” ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division ICED 2010 Fall Technical Conference, ASME, ISBN 978-0-7918-4944-6: ICEF2010-35100 405-414, 2010doi:10.1115/ICEF2010-35100.
- Jorques Moreno, C., Stenlåås, O., and Tunestål, P. , “Predictive In-Cycle Closed-Loop Combustion Control with Pilot-Main Injections,” IFAC-PapersOnLine, 2020.
- Finesso, R., and Spessa, E. , “A Control-Oriented Approach to Estimate the Injected Fuel Mass on the Basis of the Measured In-Cylinder Pressure in Multiple Injection Diesel Engines,” Energy Convers. Manag. 105:54-70, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2015.07.053.
- Jorques Moreno, C., Stenlaas, O., Tunestal, P., Stenlåås, O., and Tunestål, P. , “Cylinder Pressure based Virtual Sensor for In-Cycle Pilot Mass Estimation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 11(6):1167-1182, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1163.
- Jorques Moreno, C., Stenlåås, O., and Tunestål, P. , “Multi-Cylinder Adaptation of In-Cycle Predictive Combustion Models,” SAE Powertrains, Fuel Lubes (2020-1-2087), 2020.
- Finesso, R., and Spessa, E. , “Ignition Delay Prediction of Multiple Injections in Diesel Engines,” Fuel 119:170-190, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.11.040.
- Gill, D., Erhart, J., Bürgler, L., Kammerstetter, H., and Werner, M. , “Characterizing Injection System Behaviour under Real Operating Conditions.”
- Mingfa, Y., Hu, W., Zunqing, Z., Yan, Y. et al. , “Experimental Study of Multiple Injections and Coupling Effects of Multi-Injection and EGR in a HD Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2807, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2807.