This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on the Pre-Chamber Fueling Ratio Effect on the Main Chamber Combustion Using Simultaneous PLIF and OH* Chemiluminescence Imaging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Pre-chamber combustion (PCC) enables leaner air-fuel ratio operation by improving its ignitability and extending flammability limit, and consequently, offers better thermal efficiency than conventional spark ignition operation. The geometry and fuel concentration of the pre-chamber (PC) is one of the major parameters that affect overall performance. To understand the dynamics of the PCC in practical engine conditions, this study focused on (i) correlation of the events in the main chamber (MC) with the measured in-cylinder pressure traces and, (ii) the effect of fuel concentration on the MC combustion characteristics using laser diagnostics. We performed simultaneous acetone planar laser-induced fluorescence (PLIF) from the side, and OH* chemiluminescence imaging from the bottom in a heavy-duty optical engine. Two different PC Fueling Ratios (PCFR, the ratio of PC fuel to the total fuel), 7%, and 13%, were investigated. The “negative” regions of the PLIF fields were used to visualize PC jets and the MC combustion. The absence of acetone seeding in the PC, and its consumption during the MC combustion contributed to the loss of PLIF signal (negative regions). The instantaneous PLIF/OH* fields showed the appearance of PC jets near its pressure maximum. The PC jet interacting with the piston surface was accompanied by an increase in OH* chemiluminescence intensity and its area. Increasing PCFR resulted in a lag of ~0.6° crank angle in the PC and MC pressure and the pressure difference (ΔPPC-MC) between the two, for the two PCFR cases. This led to a phase lag in the PC flame jet penetration distance, which in turn delayed the increase in the total OH* chemiluminescence intensity for the higher PCFR case. For similar ΔPPC-MC, we observed wider OH* regions with increased PCFR. This result distinguished the radical concentration effect on the MC combustion from the fluid mechanical effects controlled by ΔPPC-MC.
- Ramgopal Sampath - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Qinglong Tang - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Manuel Echeverri Marquez - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Priybrat Sharma - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Ponnya Hlaing - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Moez Ben Houidi - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Emre Cenker - Saudi Aramco
- Junseok Chang - Saudi Aramco
- Bengt Johansson - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Gaetano Magnotti - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
CitationSampath, R., Tang, Q., Echeverri Marquez, M., Sharma, P. et al., "Study on the Pre-Chamber Fueling Ratio Effect on the Main Chamber Combustion Using Simultaneous PLIF and OH* Chemiluminescence Imaging," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2024, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2024.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Dale, J.D., SMY, P.R., Way-Nee, D., and Clements, R.M. , “Laser-Ignited Internal Combustion Engine,” Combustion and Flame 30:319-320, 1977.
- Alvarez, C.E.C., Couto, G.E., Roso, V.R., and Thiriet, A.B. , “A Review of Prechamber Ignition Systems as Lean Combustion Technology for SI Engines,” Applied Thermal Engineering 128:107-120, 2018.
- Chala, G.T., Aziz, A.R.A., and Hagos, F.Y. , “Natural Gas Engine Technologies: Challenges and Energy Sustainability Issue,” Energies 11:2934, 2018, doi:10.3390/en11112934.
- Gussak, L.A. , “High Chemical Activity of Incomplete Combustion Products and a Method of Prechamber Torch Ignition for Avalanche Activation of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Transactions 84(3):2421-2445, 1975.
- Gussak, L.A., Karpov, V.P., and Tikhonov, Y.V. , “The Application of Lag-Process in Prechamber Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 790692, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790692.
- Yamaguchi, S., Ohiwa, N., and Hasegawa, T. , “Ignition and Burning Process in a Divided Chamber Bomb,” Combustion and Flame 59:177-187, 1985.
- Biswas, S., Tanvir, S., Wang, H., and Qiao, L. , “On Ignition Mechanisms of Premixed CH4/air and H2/air Using a Hot Turbulent Jet Generated by Pre-chamber Combustion,” Applied Thermal Engineering 106:925-937, 2016.
- Attard, W.P., Toulson, E., Huijsen, A., Chen, X. et al. , “Spark Ignition and Pre-Chamber Turbulent Jet Ignition Combustion Visualization,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0823, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0823.
- Toulson, E., Schock, H.J., and Attard, W.P. , “A Review of Pre-Chamber Initiated Jet Ignition Combustion Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2263, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2263.
- Murase, E., and Hanada, K. , “Enhancement of Combustion by Injection of Radicals,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0194, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0194.
- Gentz, G., Thelen, B., Gholamisheeri, M., and Litke, P. , “A Study of the Influence of Orifice Diameter on a Turbulent Jet Ignition System through Combustion Visualization and Performance Characterization in a Rapid Compression Machine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 81:399-411, 2015.
- Mastorakos, E., Allison, P., Giusti, A., and Oliveira, P.D. , “Fundamental Aspects of Jet Ignition for Natural Gas Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(5), 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-24-0097.
- Oppenheim, A.K. , “Prospects for Combustion in Piston Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0999, 2002, https://doi.org/10.427/2002-01-0999.
- Biswas, S., and Qiao, L. , “Ignition of Ultra-Lean Premixed H2/Air Using Multiple Hot Turbulent Jets Generated by Pre Chamber Combustion,” Applied Thermal Engineering 132:102-114, 2018.
- Kawabata, Y., and Mori, D. , “Combustion Diagnostics & Improvement of a Prechamber Lean-Burn Natural Gas Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0979, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0979.
- Shah, A., Tunestal, P., and Johansson, B. , “Effect of Pre-Chamber Volume and Nozzle Diameter on Pre-Chamber Ignition in Heavy Duty Natural Gas Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0867, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0867.
- Shah, A., Tunestal, P., and Johansson, B. , “Effect of Relative Mixture Strength on Performance of Divided Chamber‘ Avalanche Activated Combustion’ Ignition Technique in a Heavy Duty Natural Gas Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1327, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1327.
- Xu, G., Kotzagianni, M., Kyrtatos, P., Wright, Y.M., and Boulouchos, K. , “Experimental and Numerical Investigations of the Unscavenged Pre-chamber Combustion in a Rapid Compression and Expansion Machine Under Engine-like Conditions,” Combustion and Flame 204:68-84, 2019.
- Hlaing, P., Echeverri Marquez, M., Singh, E., and Almatrafi, F. , “Effect of Pre-Chamber Enrichment on Lean Burn Pre-Chamber Spark Ignition Combustion Concept with a Narrow-Throat Geometry,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0825, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0825.
- Weibner, M., Beger, F., Schuttenhelm, M., and Tallu, G. , “Lean-burn CNG Engine with Ignition Chamber: From the Idea to a Running Engine,” Combustion Engines. 176(1):3-9, 2019, doi:10.19206/CE-2019-101.
- Hlaing, P., Echeverri Marquez, M., Bhavani Shankar, V.S., and Cenker, E. , “A Study of Lean Burn Pre-Chamber Concept in a Heavy-Duty Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0107, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0107.
- Wellander, R., Rosell, J., Richter, M., and Alden, M. , “Study of the Early Flame Development in a Spark-Ignited Lean Burn Four-Stroke Large Bore Gas Engine by Fuel Tracer PLIF,” SAE International Journal of Engines 7(2):928-936, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1330.
- O'Connor, J., and Musculus, M. , “In-Cylinder Mechanisms of Soot Reduction by Close-Coupled Post-Injections as Revealed by Imaging of Soot Luminosity and Planar Laser-Induced Soot Incandescence in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE International Journal of Engines 7(2), 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1255.
- Cossali, G.E., Coghe, A., and Araneo, L. , “Near-Field Entrainment in an Impulsively Started Turbulent Gas Jet,” AIAA Journal 39(6):1113-1121, 2001.
- Johari, H., and Paduano, R. , “Dilution and Mixing in an Unsteady Jet,” Experiments in Fluids 23:272-280, 1997.
- El Hassan, M., Assoum, H.H., Martinuzzi, R., Sobolik, V. et al. , “Experimental Investigation of the Wall Shear Stress in a Circular Impinging Jet,” Physics of Fluids 25:077101, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4811172.
- Martin, H. , “Heat and Mass Transfer Between Impinging Gas Jets and Solid Surfaces,” Advances in Heat Transfer 13:1-60, 1977.