This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On Modeling the Total Cost of Ownership of Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Sales of plug-in vehicles (PEVs), which include battery-only electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), have steadily grown in the past years amidst various incentive programs. While incentives are important, or perhaps essential during early phases of market introduction, they may not be feasibly sustainable when/if PEV sales ramp up to mass-market levels. As such, much interest and speculation exist on how soon could PEVs become cost-competitive without incentives. Research in this paper adopts a bottom-up approach for estimating sale price and total cost of ownership (TCO) for new vehicles. A critical review is also conducted for various publicly available sources of information pertaining to PEVs and conventional internal combustion-engine (CICE) vehicles. Due to the existence of some uncertainty about current costs, let alone future costs, a sensitivity analysis is conducted. In the various scenarios considered in the sensitivity analysis, a combination of cost predictions being better than the baseline case may allow some of the PEVs to have better TCO than a CICE within the 2030 timeframe. However, even the most optimistic scenarios considered did not show PEVs reaching purchase price parity by 2030 compared to a CICE.
CitationHamza, K., Laberteaux, K., and Chu, K., "On Modeling the Total Cost of Ownership of Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1435, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1435.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- US Department of Energy , http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/05/f15/52723.pdf, 2011, accessed October 2019.
- Axsen, J., Kurani, K., McCarthy, R., and Yang, C. , “Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle GHG Impacts in California: Integrating Consumer-Informed Recharge Profiles with an Electricity-Dispatch Model,” Energy Policy 39:1617-1629, 2011.
- Traut, E., Hendrickson, C., Klampfl, E., Liu, Y., and Michalek, J. , “Optimal Design and Allocation of Electrified Vehicles and Dedicated Charging Infrastructure for Minimum Lifecycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Cost,” Energy Policy 51:524-534, 2012.
- Karabasoglu, O. and Michalek, J. , “Influence of Driving Patterns on Life Cycle Cost and Emissions of Hybrid and Plug-In Electric Vehicle Power Trains,” Energy Policy 60:445-461, 2013.
- Yuksel, T., Tamayao, M.A., Hendrickson, C., Azevedo, I., and Michalek, J. , “Effect of Regional Grid Mix, Driving Patterns and Climate on the Comparative Carbon Footprint of Gasoline and Plug-In Electric Vehicles in the United States,” Environmental Research Letters 11:044007, 2016.
- Laberteaux, K., Hamza, K., and Willard, J. , “Optimizing the Electric Range of Plug-In Vehicles via Fuel Economy Simulations of Real-World Driving in California,” Transportation Research Part D 73:15-33, 2019.
- Jenn, A., Azevedo, I.L., and Michalek, J. , “Alternative-Fuel-Vehicle Policy Interactions Increase U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions,” Transportation Research Part A 124:396-407, 2019.
- Electric Drive Transportation Association , http://www.electricdrive.org/index.php?ht=d/sp/i/20952/pid/20952, 2019, accessed October 2019.
- US Department of Energy , https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml, 2016, accessed January 2016.
- California Clean Vehicle Rebate Program , https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng, 2015, accessed January 2016.
- California Environmental Protection Agency , http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/factsheets/clean_vehicle_incentives.pdf, 2012, accessed January 2016.
- US Environmental Protection Agency , http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/climate/documents/420f12051.pdf, 2012, accessed January 2016.
- California Air Resources Board, Zero Emission Vehicle, Program: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/zevprog.htm, 2015, accessed January 2016.
- A Simpson , “Cost-Benefit Analysis of Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle Technology,” in International Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Symposium and Exhibition (EVS-22), Yokohama, Japan, 2006.
- Plotkin, S. and Singh, M. , “Multi-Path Transportation Futures Study: Vehicle Characterization and Scenario Analyses,” Argonne National Laboratory Report: ANL/ESD/09-5, 2009.
- Shiau, C., Samaras, C., Hauffe, R., and Michalek, J. , “Impact of Battery Weight and Charging Patterns on the Economic and Environmental Benefits of Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles,” Energy Policy 37:2653-2663, 2009.
- Al-Alawi, B.M. and Bradley, T.H. , “Total Cost of Ownership, Payback, and Consumer Preference Modeling of Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Applied Energy 103:488-506, 2013.
- Breetz, H.L. and Salon, D. , “Do Electric Vehicles Need Subsidies? Ownership Costs for Conventional, Hybrid, and Electric Vehicles in 14 U.S. Cities,” Energy Policy 120:238-249, 2018.
- Soulopoulos, N. , “When Will Electric Vehicles be Cheaper than Conventional Vehicles?,” http://www.automotivebusiness.com.br/abinteligencia/pdf/EV-Price-Parity-Report.pdf, 2017, accessed October 2019.
- Bullard, N. , “Electric Car Price Tag Shrinks Along with Battery Cost,” https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-04-12/electric-vehicle-battery-shrinks-and-so-does-the-total-cost, 2019, accessed October 2019.
- Lutsy, N. and Nicholas, M. , “Update on Electric Vehicle Costs in the United States through 2030,” ICCT Working Paper: https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/EV_cost_2020_2030_20190401.pdf, 2019, accessed October 2019.
- Shared folder on Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15aRR8WrrVV6ttqxSJXfcM8lNf0WrTgxK?usp=sharing, 2019, accessed October 2019.
- Anderman, M. , “The xEV Industry Insider Report, April 2019 Edition, Total Battery Consulting: https://www.totalbatteryconsulting.com/industry-reports/xEV-report/Extract-from-the-xEV-Industry-Report.pdf, accessed October 2019.
- UBS , “UBS Evidence Lab Electric Car Teardown - Disruption Ahead?,” https://neo.ubs.com/shared/d1ZTxnvF2k/, 2017, accessed October 2019.
- Bloomberg New Energy Finance , “A Behind the Scenes Take on Lithium-ion Battery Prices,” https://about.bnef.com/blog/behind-scenes-take-lithium-ion-battery-prices/, 2019, accessed October 2019.
- Attwood, J. , The Cost of Doing Business: Lithium Ion Battery Cost Breakdown and Forecast (Bloomberg New Energy Finance, 2016).
- US Department of Energy , “Cost and Price Metrics for Automotive Lithium-Ion Batteries,” https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2017/06/f34/67089_EERE_LIB_cost_vs_price_metrics_r9_0.pdf, 2017, accessed October 2019.
- National Research Council , Transitions to Alternative Vehicles and Fuels (National Academic Press, 2013), https://www.nap.edu/catalog/18264/transitions-to-alternative-vehicles-and-fuels, accessed October 2019.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory , “Future Automotive Systems Technology Simulator,” http://www.nrel.gov/transportation/fastsim.html, 2018, accessed October 2019.
- Wolfram, P. and Lutsy, N. , “Electric Vehicles: Literature Review of Technology Costs and Carbon Emissions,” ICCT Working Paper https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT_LitRvw_EV-tech-costs_201607.pdf, 2016, accessed October 2019.
- Cuenca, R.M., Gaines, L.L., and Vyas, A.D. , “Evaluation of Electric Vehicle Production and Operating Costs,” Argonne National Laboratory Report: ANL/ESD-41, 1999.
- Rogozhin, A., Gallaher, M., Helfand, G., and McManus, W. , “Using Indirect Cost Multipliers to Estimate the Total Cost of Adding New Technology in the Automobile Industry,” International Journal of Production Economics 124:360-368, 2010.
- Ricardo Energy & Environment , 2016 Improving understanding of technology and costs for CO2 reductions from cars and LCVs in the period to 2030 and development of cost curves, https://ec.europa.eu/clima/sites/clima/files/transport/vehicles/docs/ldv_co2_technologies_and_costs_to_2030_en.pdf, 2018, accessed October 2019.
- Kromer, M.A. and Heywood, J.B. , “Electric Powertrains: Opportunities and Challenges in the U.S. Light-Duty Vehicle Fleet,” LFEE 2007-03 RP, http://web.mit.edu/sloan-auto-lab/research/beforeh2/files/kromer_electric_powertrains.pdf, 2007, .
- Kolwich, G. , “Light-Duty Vehicle Technology Cost Analysis - European Vehicle Market (Phase 1),” FEV Analysis Report BAV 10-449-001B prepared for International Council on Clean Transportation, https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/Phase_1_2_Summary%20080713B_Trans.pdf, 2012, accessed October 2019.
- US Environmental Protection Agency , “Peer Review of FEV Inc. Report “Light Duty Technology Cost Analysis, Power-Split and P2 Hybrid Electric Vehicle Case Studies,” EPA-420-R-11-016 https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi/P100CVJS.PDF?Dockey=P100CVJS.PDF, 2011, accessed October 2019.
- EV West , https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=8&osCsid=47u2f6hve2gv0tb4ih0gqf98s3, accessed October 2019.
- Thunder Struck Motors , https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/ac-motor-kits/, accessed October 2019.
- US Department of Energy , https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/printGuides.shtml, 2019, accessed October 2019.
- National Research Council , Assessment of Fuel Economy Technologies for Light-Duty Vehicles (National Academies Press, 2011), https://www.nap.edu/catalog/12924/assessment-of-fuel-economy-technologies-for-light-duty-vehicles, accessed October 2019.
- Kelly Blue Book , https://www.kbb.com/, accessed November 2019.
- NC PEV Taskforce , “Plug-in Electric Vehicle (PEV) Roadmap for North Carolina,” http://www.pluginnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/7-NCPEVRoadmap_April2014_v2.pdf, 2013, accessed November 2019.
- Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy , “Charging at Home,” https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/charging-home, accessed November 2019.
- Idaho National Laboratory , “How do Residential Level 2 Charging Installation Costs Vary by Geographic Location?,” https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/EVProj/HowDoResidentialChargingInstallationCostsVaryByGeographicLocations.pdf, 2015, accessed November 2019.
- US Department of Energy , https://afdc.energy.gov/data/10309, 2018, accessed August 2019
- National Household Travel Survey , https://nhts.ornl.gov/, 2017, accessed November 2019.
- U.S. Energy Information Administration , https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_dcus_nus_a.htm, accessed November 2019.
- Annual Energy Outlook , https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/index.php, 2019, accessed November 2019.
- SAE International , “Utility Factor Definitions for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles Using Travel Survey Data,” SAE Standard J2841 2010-09, 2010, https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2841_201009/, accessed August 2019.
- National Household Travel Survey , https://nhts.ornl.gov/download.shtml, 2009, .
- California Household Travel Survey , https://www.nrel.gov/transportation/secure-transportation-data/tsdc-california-travel-survey.html, 2013, accessed October 2019.
- US Department of Transportation , https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/hwytaxes/2001/pt11.htm, accessed October 2019.
- US News , https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/most-expensive-states-to-own-a-car, accessed October 2019.
- American Automobile Association , “Your Driving Costs,” https://exchange.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/AAA-Your-Driving-Costs-2019.pdf, 2019, accessed November 2019.
- U.S. General Services Administration. Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) Mileage Reimbursement Rates, https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book/transportation-airfare-pov-etc/privately-owned-vehicle-pov-mileage-reimbursement-rates, accessed November 2019.
- Hamza, K. and Laberteaux, K. , “A Cluster Analysis Study of Opportune Adoption of Electric Drive Vehicles for Better Greenhouse Gas Reduction,” in ASME IDETC-2016, Charlotte, NC, DETC2016-59119, 2016.