This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Road Noise Evaluation by Sound Quality Simulation Module
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An objective evaluation of sound quality is a technical bridge connecting sound pressure level (SPL) and human auditory sensation. In this paper, an algorithm is proposed for calculating objective evaluation parameters of sound quality (including loudness, sharpness and articulation index), considering acoustic characteristics of human external ear, middle ear and inner ear to reflect auditory sensation. A sound quality simulation (SQS) module is coded according to the algorithm. The module is used for evaluating sound quality of road noise from an SUV in three steps. Firstly, interior noise is predicted by integrating finite-element method (FEM), hybrid FE-SEA method, and statistical energy analysis (SEA) for low frequency (20~315 Hz), medium frequency (315~500 Hz), and high frequency (>500 Hz) in 1/3 octave band, respectively. The predicted interior noise SPLs are compared with the measured results, with deviations less than 3dB in average. Secondly, the sound quality parameters are calculated using the predicted SPLs in the SQS module. The predicted and measured loudness, sharpness, and articulation index are compared, with average deviations less than 5%. Finally, the predicted interior noise is filtered by the SQS module in 1/3 octave band, to determine the dominant contribution bands for the sound quality parameters. Several optimized designs are implemented to optimize the sound quality parameters, and validated by experiments.
- Perry Gu - Geely Automobile Research Institute
- Jie Mao - Geely Automobile Research Institute
- Zhidong Chen - Geely Automobile Research Institute
- Zhi Ding - Geely Automobile Research Institute
- Lei Cheng - Geely Automobile Research Institute
- Zhenying Zhu - Geely Automobile Research Institute
- Hong Peng - Geely Automobile Research Institute
CitationGu, P., Mao, J., Chen, Z., Ding, Z. et al., "Road Noise Evaluation by Sound Quality Simulation Module," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1275, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Ge, J., Wang, Z., Long, Y., Wang, W. et al. , “Application of Tire/Road Noise in Tire Design,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1237, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1237.
- Lee, J., Suh, J., Jeong, S., Kandarpa, S. et al. , “Development of Input Loads for Road Noise Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1608, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1608.
- Waisanen, A. and Blough, J. , “Road Noise TPA Simplification for Improving Vehicle Sensitivity to Tire Cavity Resonance Using Helium Gas,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2092, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2092.
- Yu, Z., Tan, H., and Du, X. , “Progress in Study on Tire Pattern Noise,” Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology 34(1):105-109, 2002.
- Mao, J., Hao, Z., Jing, G., Zheng, X. et al. , “Sound Quality Improvement for a Four-Cylinder Diesel Engine by the Block Structure Optimization,” Applied Acoustics 74(1):150-159, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.apacoust.2012.07.005.
- Turner, W. and Turgay, F. , “Development of Coupled Structure-Acoustic FE Models for Vehicle Refinement,” SAE Technical Paper 984107, 1998.
- Liu, J., Suh, S., Sullivan, J., and Chaudhari, P. , “Noise and Vibration Prediction and Validation for Off-Highway Vehicle Cab Using Hybrid FE-SEA Methodology,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1479, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1479.
- Liao, Q. and Li, S. , “Statistical Response Prediction of Vehicle Based on Statistical Energy Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3498, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3498.
- Gu, P. and Park, J. , “A New Experimental Methodology to Estimate Chassis Force Transmissibility and Applications to Road NVH Improvement,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1711, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1711.
- Schweitzer, J., Reynolds, C., Blough, J., Anderson, C. et al. , “Sound Power Measurement in a Semi-Reverberant, Volume Deficient Chamber,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2359, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2359.
- Mauermann, M., Long, G., and Kollmeier, B. , “Fine Structure of Hearing Threshold and Loudness Perception,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 116(2):1066-1080, 2004.
- ANSI , “Procedure for the Computation of Loudness of Steady States,” New York, 2005.
- Onusic, H., Hage, M., and Baptista, E. , “Articulation Index (AI): Concepts and Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3150, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3150.