This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Analysis and Control of Aural Discomfort inside a Car at the Instant of Door Closing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With the continuous improvement of vehicle air leakage performance, an aural discomfort phenomenon had been occurred at the instant of vehicle door closing. There are many studies on door closing sound quality in past 20 years, but there is little publications on the study of the aural discomfort due to a transient high air pressure fluctuations. In this paper, the relationships of passenger’s aural discomfort produced by interior air pressure fluctuations are systematically studied. The ratio of door surface area to passenger compartment volume and other related parameters such as the cross-sectional area of a vehicle, the air extractor size, and the vehicle body air leakage under positive pressure are also studied through CAE analysis and verified through a large number of objective measurements and subjective vehicle evaluation.
Base on this study, a new threshold value of air pressure fluctuation for human aural comfort, and a new objective evaluation index for aural discomfort due to the transient air pressure fluctuations are defined. Some guidelines for the pressure exhaust system design and development to improve the door closing aural comfort of passenger vehicles are provided.
CitationJun, M., Cao, Y., Zhang, J., Zhang, K. et al., "The Analysis and Control of Aural Discomfort inside a Car at the Instant of Door Closing," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1260, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1260.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Schwanitz , S. , Wittkowski , M. , Rolny , V. et al. Continuous Assessments of Pressure Comfort on a Train e A Field-Laboratory Applied Ergonomics 44 11 17 2013
- Li , J. , Mourelatos , Z.P. , Schwarze , F.G. et al. Prediction of Automotive Side Swing Door Closing Effort SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars-Mech. Syst 2 1 271 284 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0084
- Lee , Y.L. and Hwang , S.H. Flow Characteristics in a Cabin during Door Closure Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering 225 3 318 327 2011
- Didyk , L.A. , Dirckx , J.J.J. , Bogdanov , V.B. et al. The Mechanical Reaction of the Pars Flaccida of the Eardrum to Rapid Air Pressure Oscillations Modeling Different Levels of Atmospheric Disturbances Hearing Research 223 1 20 28 2007
- Gawthorpe , R.G. , Figura , G.I. , and Robertson , N. Pressure Chamber Tests of Passenger Comfort in Tunnels 8th International Conference on Aerodynamics and Ventilation of Vehicle Tunnels 1994 227 243
- Klaver , E.C. and Kassies , E. Dimensioning of Tunnels for Passenger Comfort in Netherlands Proc. 10th International Symposium on the Aerodynamics and Ventilation of Vehicle Tunnels Cranfield UK: BHR Group 2000 19 737 755
- Gl Ockle , H. Determining Comfort Limits with Regard to Pressure Changes and Operational Experiences with Pressure Tight Vehicles 8th International Conference on Aerodynamics and Ventilation of Vehicle Tunnels 1994 95 101