This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Portable In-Cylinder Pressure Measurement and Signal Processing System for Real-Time Combustion Analysis and Engine Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents an in-cylinder pressure measurement system for cycle-to-cycle feedback combustion control purposes. Such a system uses off-the-shelf components to measure cylinder pressure and performs user-defined algorithms for heat release analysis. The working principle of the device is discussed as well as the simplifications for heat release analysis required for fast computation. The system is benchmarked against a commercially-available combustion analyzer in order to quantify the accuracy and time response. The results showed that the system is satisfactorily accurate for combustion phasing control. The main advantage, however, comes from the reduction of calculation and communication delays observed in the commercially-available system. This enables the use of cycle-to-cycle cylinder pressure-based feedback control algorithms. The functionality of such a device is demonstrated in a spark-ignition experimental engine fitted with an externally cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) loop. Here, an optimal combustion phasing was the target for a feedback combustion controller that automatically adjusted the spark advance. The favorable results proved the system suitable not only for this particular combustion control problem with EGR but also for many of the modern combustion control strategies in gasoline and diesel engines.
CitationLuo, Y., Maldonado, B., Liu, S., Solbrig, C. et al., "Portable In-Cylinder Pressure Measurement and Signal Processing System for Real-Time Combustion Analysis and Engine Control," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1144, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Jade, S., Hellström, E., Larimore, J., Stefanopoulou, A. et al. , “Reference Governor for Load Control in a Multicylinder Recompression HCCI Engine,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 22(4):1408-1421, 2014.
- Ingesson, G., Yin, L., Johansson, R., and Tunestal, P. , “Simultaneous Control of Combustion Timing and Ignition Delay in Multi-Cylinder Partially Premixed Combustion,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(5):2089-2098, 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2424.
- Guardiola, C., Pla, B., Bares, P., and Barbier, A. , “Closed-Loop Control of a Dual-Fuel Engine Working with Different Combustion Modes Using In-Cylinder Pressure Feedback,” International Journal of Engine Research, 2019.
- Willems, F. , “Is Cylinder Pressure-Based Control Required to Meet Future HD Legislation?” IFAC-PapersOnLine 51(31):111-118, 2018.
- Alger, T., Gingrich, J., Roberts, C., and Mangold, B. , “Cooled Exhaust-Gas Recirculation for Fuel Economy and Emissions Improvement in Gasoline Engines,” International Journal of Engine Research 12(3):252-264, 2011.
- Simescu, S., Ryan, T., Neely, G., Matheaus, A. et al. , “Partial Pre-Mixed Combustion with Cooled and Uncooled EGR in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0963, 2002, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0963.
- Wang, J. and Sarlashkar, J. , “Engine Crankshaft Position Tracking Algorithms Applicable for Given Arbitrary Cam- and Crank-Shaft Position Signal Patterns,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1597, 2007, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1597.
- Rogers, D. , Engine Combustion Pressure Measurement and Analysis (Warrendale, PA: SAE International, 2010).
- Heywood, J. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (New York: McGraw Hill, 1988).
- Caton, J. , “Combustion Phasing for Maximum Efficiency for Conventional and High Efficiency Engines,” Energy Conversion and Management 77:564-576, 2014.
- Zhu, Q., Wang, S., Prucka, R., Prucka, M. et al. , “Model-Based Control-Oriented Combustion Phasing Feedback for Fast CA50 Estimation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(3):997-1004, 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0868.
- Zhang, Y. and Shen, T. , “Cylinder Pressure Based Combustion Phase Optimization and Control in Spark-Ignited Engines,” Control Theory and Technology 15(2):83-91, 2017.
- Kang, M., Sata, K., and Matsunaga, A. , “Control-Oriented Cyclic Modeling Method for Spark Ignition Engines,” IFAC-PapersOnLine 51(31):448-453, 2018.
- Eriksson, L. and Nielsen, L. , Modeling and Control of Engines and Drivelines, Automotive Series (Wiley, 2014).
- Maldonado, B., Solbrig, C., and Stefanopoulou, A. , “Feasibility and Calibration Considerations for Selection of Combustion Control Features,” in The 3rd IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA), 2019.
- Eriksson, L. and Sivertsson, M. , “Computing Optimal Heat Release Rates in Combustion Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(3):1069-1079, 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0882.
- Maldonado, B., Zaseck, K., Kitagawa, E., and Stefanopoulou, A. , “Closed-Loop Control of Combustion Initiation and Combustion Duration,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 1-15, 2019.
- Middleton, R. , “Voronoi Partitions for Assessing Fuel Consumption of Advanced Technology Engines: An Approximation of Full Vehicle Simulation on a Drive Cycle,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0317, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0317.
- Olsson, J., Tunestål, P., and Johansson, B. , “Closed-Loop Control of an HCCI Engine,” SAE Trans., J. Engines 110(3):1076-1085, 2001, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1031.