This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of EGR Dilution on the Heat Release Rates in Boosted Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI) Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents an experimental investigation of the impact of EGR dilution on the tradeoff between flame and end-gas autoignition heat release in a Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI) combustion engine. The mixture was maintained stoichiometric and fuel-to-charge equivalence ratio (ϕ′) was controlled by varying the EGR dilution level at constant engine speed. Under all conditions investigated, end-gas autoignition timing was maintained constant by modulating the mixture temperature and spark timing. Experiments at constant intake pressure and constant spark timing showed that as ϕ′ is increased, lower mixture temperatures are required to match end-gas autoignition timing. Higher ϕ′ mixtures exhibited faster initial flame burn rates, which were attributed to the higher laminar flame speeds immediately after spark timing and their effect on the overall turbulent burning velocity. The increasing trends in peak heat release rate and peak autoignition rate as a function of ϕ′ were consistent for all intake pressures ranging from 80 kPa to 150 kPa. For a constant spark timing, the mass fraction burned at the onset of autoignition correlated well with ϕ′, regardless of intake pressure. Reducing the unburned mass fraction at the onset of autoignition was effective at limiting the peak heat release rates. This behavior was attributed to the reduced energy content of the end-gas and also to the reduced end-gas burn rates. Possible explanations for the latter observation were the greater buffer gas effect due to a larger burned gas mass, and the higher reactivity stratification of the end-gas being closer to the walls.
CitationTriantopoulos, V., Bohac, S., Martz, J., Lavoie, G. et al., "The Effect of EGR Dilution on the Heat Release Rates in Boosted Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI) Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1134, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Zigler, B.T., Keros, P.E., Helleberg, K.B., Fatouraie, M. et al. , “An Experimental Investigation of the Sensitivity of the Ignition and Combustion Properties of a Single-Cylinder Research Engine to Spark-Assisted HCCI,” International Journal of Engine Research 12(4):353-375, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1177/1468087411401286.
- Persson, H., Johansson, B., and Remón, A. , “The Effect of Swirl on Spark Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI),” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1856, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1856.
- Reuss, D.L., Kuo, T.-W., Silvas, G., Natarajan, V., and Sick, V. , “Experimental Metrics for Identifying Origins of Combustion Variability during Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition,” International Journal of Engine Research 9(5):409-434, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1243/14680874JER01108.
- Han, T., Lavoie, G., Wooldridge, M., and Boehman, A. , “Effect of Syngas (H2/CO) on SI Engine Knock under Boosted EGR and Lean Conditions,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(3):959-969, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0670.
- Mounaïm-Rousselle, C., Landry, L., Halter, F., and Foucher, F. , “Experimental Characteristics of Turbulent Premixed Flame in a Boosted Spark-Ignition Engine,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 34(2):2941-2949, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2012.09.008.
- Dec, J., Sjöberg, M., and Hwang, W. , “Isolating the Effects of EGR on HCCI Heat-Release Rates and NOX Emissions,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(2):58-70, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2665.
- Kodavasal, J., Lavoie, G.A., Assanis, D.N., and Martz, J.B. , “The Effect of Diluent Composition on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Auto-Ignition and Combustion Duration,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 35(3):3019-3026, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2014.06.152.
- Triantopoulos, V., Martz, J.B., Sterniak, J., Lavoie, G., Assanis, D.N., and Bohac, S.V. , “Operating Limits of Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition Combustion Under Boosted Ultra-EGR Dilute Conditions in a Negative Valve Overlap Engine,” in Proceedings of the ASME 2019 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference. ASME 2019 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, Chicago, Illinois, USA, October 20-23, 2019, V001T03A013, ASME, https://doi.org/10.1115/ICEF2019-7220.
- Manofsky, L., Vavra, J., Assanis, D., and Babajimopoulos, A. , “Bridging the Gap between HCCI and SI: Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1179, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1179.
- Shingne, P.S., Gerow, M.S., Triantopoulos, V., Bohac, S.V., and Martz, J.B. , “A Comparison of Valving Strategies Appropriate For Multimode Combustion Within a Downsized Boosted Automotive Engine-Part I: High Load Operation Within the Spark Ignition Combustion Regime,” ASME. J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 136(10):101507, May 2, 2014, October 2014, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4027359.
- Gerow, M.S., Shingne, P.S., Triantopoulos, V., Bohac, S.V., and Martz, J.B. , “A Comparison of Valving Strategies Appropriate for Multimode Combustion Within a Downsized Boosted Automotive Engine-Part II: Mid Load Operation Within the SACI Combustion Regime,” ASME. J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 136(10):101508, May 2, 2014, October 2014, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4027360.
- Inoue, A., Sueoka, M., Matsumoto, K., and Urushihara, T. , U.S. Patent No. 10,502,147, Washington, DC, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2019.
- Szybist, J., Nafziger, E., and Weall, A. , “Load Expansion of Stoichiometric HCCI Using Spark Assist and Hydraulic Valve Actuation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(2):244-258, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2172.
- Wang, Z., He, X., Wang, J.X., Shuai, S. et al. , “Combustion Visualization and Experimental Study on Spark Induced Compression Ignition (SICI) in Gasoline HCCI Engines,” Energy Conversion and Management 51(5):908-917, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2009.11.029.
- Zhou, L., Dong, K., Hua, J., Wei, H. et al. , “Effects of Applying EGR with Split Injection Strategy on Combustion Performance and Knock Resistance in a Spark Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI) Engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 145:98-109, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.09.001.
- Olesky, L.K.M., Middleton, R.J., Lavoie, G.A., Wooldridge, M.S., and Martz, J.B. , “On the Sensitivity of Low Temperature Combustion to Spark Assist near Flame Limit Conditions,” Fuel 158:11-22, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2015.05.012.
- Gentz, G., Dernotte, J., Ji, C., and Dec, J. , “Spark Assist for CA50 Control and Improved Robustness in a Premixed LTGC Engine - Effects of Equivalence Ratio and Intake Boost,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1252, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1252.
- Yun, H., Wermuth, N., and Najt, P. , “Extending the High Load Operating Limit of a Naturally-Aspirated Gasoline HCCI Combustion Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):681-699, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0847.
- Ketterer, J. and Cheng, W. , “On the Nature of Particulate Emissions from DISI Engines at Cold-Fast-Idle,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(2):986-994, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1368.
- Yun, H. and Mirsky, W. , “Schlieren-Streak Measurements of Instantaneous Exhaust Gas Velocities from a Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 741015, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/741015.
- Ortiz-Soto, E.A., Vavra, J., and Babajimopoulos, A. , “Assessment of Residual Mass Estimation Methods for Cylinder Pressure Heat Release Analysis of HCCI Engines with Negative Valve Overlap,” ASME. J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 134(8):082802, June 11, 2012, August 2012, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4006701.
- Guardiola, C., Triantopoulos, V., Bares, P., Bohac, S., and Stefanopoulou, A. , “Simultaneous Estimation of Intake and Residual Mass Using In-Cylinder Pressure in an Engine with Negative Valve Overlap,” IFAC-PapersOnLine 49(11):461-468, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.08.068.
- Ortiz-Soto, E.A., Lavoie, G.A., Martz, J.B., Wooldridge, M.S., and Assanis, D.N. , “Enhanced Heat Release Analysis for Advanced Multi-Mode Combustion Engine Experiments,” Applied Energy 136:465-479, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.09.038.
- Tabaczynski, R.J., Ferguson, C.R., and Radhakrishnan, K. , “A Turbulent Entrainment Model for Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 770647, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770647.
- Catania, A.E., Misul, D., Mittica, A., and Spessa, E. , “A Refined Two-Zone Heat Release Model for Combustion Analysis in SI Engines,” JSME Int. J., Ser. B. 46(1):75-85, 2003, https://doi.org/10.1299/jsmeb.46.75.
- Lavoie, G.A., Martz, J., Wooldridge, M., and Assanis, D. , “A Multi-Mode Combustion Diagram for Spark Assisted Compression Ignition,” Combustion and Flame 157(6):1106-1110, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.02.009.
- Persson, H., Hultqvist, A., Johansson, B., and Remón, A. , “Investigation of the Early Flame Development in Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion Using High Speed Chemiluminescence Imaging,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0212, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0212.
- Middleton, R.J., Martz, J.B., Lavoie, G.A., Babajimopoulos, A., and Assanis, D.N. , “A Computational Study and Correlation of Premixed Isooctane Air Laminar Reaction Fronts Diluted with EGR,” Combustion and Flame 159(10):3146-3157, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2012.04.014.
- Lund, C. and Westbrook, C. , “HCT, Time Dependent 1-D Gas Hydrodynamics, Chemical Kinetics, Chemical Transport,” May 2001.
- Temel, V.K. and Sterniak, J. , “Characterization of SACI Combustion for Use in Model Based Controls,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1289, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1289.
- Andreae, M., Cheng, W., Kenney, T., and Yang, J. , “On HCCI Engine Knock,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1858, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1858.
- Olesky, L.M., Martz, J.B., Lavoie, G.A., Vavra, J. et al. , “The Effects of Spark Timing, Unburned Gas Temperature, and Negative Valve Overlap on the Rates of Stoichiometric Spark Assisted Compression Ignition Combustion,” Applied Energy 105:407-417, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.01.038.
- Middleton, R.J., Olesky, L.K.M., Lavoie, G.A., Wooldridge, M.S. et al. , “The Effect of Spark Timing and Negative Valve Overlap on Spark Assisted Compression Ignition Combustion Heat Release Rate,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 35(3):3117-3124, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2014.08.021.
- Shen, H., Hinze, P., and Heywood, J. , “A Model for Flame Initiation and Early Development in SI Engine and its Application to Cycle-to-Cycle Variations,” SAE Technical Paper 942049, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/942049.