This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Noise of Dual Fuel Engine Running on Cottonseed, Soybean Raw Oils and Their Methyl Esters as Pilot Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The cottonseed oil, soybean oil and their methyl esters have been used as a pilot fuels for dual fuel engine running on the LPG as the main fuel. A variable compression research diesel engine has been converted to run on dual fuel of LPG and a pilot fuel derived from the renewable liquid fuels above. The engine has been instrumented to measure the combustion pressure, crank angles, exhaust temperature, flow rates of air, pilot fuel and gaseous fuel. The effects of changing the following parameters have been studied: the mass of pilot fuel, the mass of gaseous fuel, the pilot fuel injection timing, engine speed and the pilot fuel type. Five different pilot fuels has been tested here namely the cottonseed raw oil, the cottonseed methyl ester, the soybean raw oil, the soybean methyl ester and the diesel fuel as a reference fuel. The results presented included the combustion noise (as maximum pressure rise rate), the heat release rate, the maximum combustion pressure, the exhaust temperature, the brake and indicated mean effective pressures. It has been found that the renewable pilot fuel properties affected the combustion process and the combustion noise. The best fuel in terms of highest output and minimum noise has been put forward.
CitationSelim, M. and Saleh, H., "Performance and Noise of Dual Fuel Engine Running on Cottonseed, Soybean Raw Oils and Their Methyl Esters as Pilot Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0811, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Mohamed, Y.E.S., Salah, B.A.-O., and Abdullah, A.J.A.-A. , “Effects of Steam Injection to Dual Fuel Engine on Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1831, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1831.
- Saleh, H.E. , “Effect of Variation in LPG Composition on Emissions and Performance in a Dual Fuel Diesel Engine,” Fuel 87:3031-3039, 2008.
- Tira, H.S., Herreros, J.M., Tsolakis, A., and Wyszynski, M.L. , “Characteristics of LPG-Diesel Dual Fuelled Engine Operated with Rapeseed Methyl Ester and Gas-to-Liquid Diesel Fuels,” Energy 47:620-629, 2012.
- Negurescu, N., Pana, C., and Cernat, A. , “Theoretical and Experimental Investigations on the LPG Fuelled Diesel Engine,” Proceedings of FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress 191:37-49, 2013.
- Sahoo, B.B., Sahoo, N., and Saha, U.K. , “Effect of Engine Parameters and Type of Gaseous Fuel on the Performance of Dual-Fuel Gas Diesel Engines - A Critical Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 13:1151-1184, 2009.
- Li, W., Liu, Z., and Wang, Z. , “Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of the Combustion Process at Low Loads of a Diesel Natural Gas Dual-Fuel Engine,” Energy 94:728-741, 2016.
- Vipavanich, C., Chuepeng, S., and Skullong, S. , “Heat Release Analysis and Thermal Efficiency of a Single Cylinder Diesel Dual Fuel Engine with Gasoline Port Injection,” Case Studies in Thermal Engineering 12:143-148, 2018.
- Yu, L., Li, H., and Hongsheng, G. , “A Numerical Investigation on NO2 Formation Reaction Pathway in a Natural Gas-Diesel Dual Fuel Engine,” Combustion and Flame 190:337-348, 2018.
- Akbariana, E. and Najafib, B. , “A Novel Fuel Containing Glycerol Triacetate Additive, Biodiesel and Diesel Blends to Improve Dual-Fuelled Diesel Engines Performance and Exhaust Emissions,” Fuel 236:666-676, 2019.
- Huang, H. et al. , “Development of a New Reduced Diesel/Natural Gas Mechanism for Dual-Fuel Engine Combustion and Emission Prediction,” Fuel 236:30-42, 2019.
- Park, H., Shim, E., and Bae, C. , “Improvement of Combustion and Emissions with Exhaust Gas Recirculation in a Natural Gas-Diesel Dual-Fuel Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Engine at Low Load Operations,” Fuel 235:763-774, 2019.
- Vinícius, B., Pedrozo, I.M., Guan, W., and Zhao, H. , “High Efficiency Ethanol-Diesel Dual-Fuel Combustion: A Comparison against Conventional Diesel Combustion from Low to Full Engine Load,” Fuel 230:440-451, 2018.
- Wang, Z., G, D., Wang, D., Xu, Y., and Shao, M. , “Combustion Process Decoupling of a Diesel/Natural Gas Dual-Fuel Engine at Low Loads,” Fuel 232:550-561, 2018.
- Jian, D., Xiaohong, G., Gesheng, L., and Xintang, Z. , “Study on Diesel-LPG Dual Fuel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3679, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3679.
- Singh, R.N., Singh, S.P., and Pathak, B.S. , “Investigation on Operation of CI Engine Using Producer Gas and Rice Bran oil in Mixed Fuel Mode,” Renewable Energy 32:1565-1580, 2007.
- Tarabet, L. et al. , “Experimental Investigation of DI Diesel Engine Operating with Eucalyptus Biodiesel/Natural Gas under Dual Fuel Mode,” Fuel 133:129-138, 2014.
- Wang, Y., Liu, H., Huang, Z., and Liu, Z. , “Study on Combustion and Emission of a Dimethyl Ether-Diesel Dual-Fuel Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Engine with LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) as Ignition Inhibitor,” Energy 96:278-285, 2016.
- Sunmeet Singh Kalsi, K.A.S. , “Effect of Simulated Biogas on Performance, Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of a Bio-Diesel Fueled Diesel Engine,” Renewable Energy 106:78-90, 2017.
- Banapurmath, N.R., Tewari, P.G., Yaliwal, V.S., Kambalimath, S., and Basavarajappa, Y.H. , “Combustion Characteristics of a 4-Stroke CI Engine Operated on HONGE OIL, Neem and Rice Bran Oils when Directly Injected and Dual Fuelled with Producer Gas Induction,” Renewable Energy 34:1877-1884, 2009.
- Banapurmath, N.R., Tewari, P.G., and Hosmath, R.S. , “Experimental Investigation of a Four-Stoke Single Cylinder Direct Injection Diesel Engine Operated on Dual Fuel Mode with Producer Gas and Honge oil and its Methyl Ester (HOME) as Injected Fuels,” Renewable Energy 33:2007-2018, 2008.
- Banapurmath, N.R. and Tewari, P.G. , “Comparative Performance Studies of a 4-Stroke CI Engine Operated on Dual Fuel Mode with Producer Gas and Honge oil and its Methyl Ester (HOME) with and without Carburetor,” Renewable Energy 34:1009-1015, 2009.
- Pianthong, K., Thaiyasuit, P., Saengmanee, C., Nonchana, V., and Nunt-Jaruwong, S. , “Investigation on Performances of the Engine for the Electrical Power Generator Using Biomass Gases and Biodiesel as Fuels,” GMSARN International Journal 5:11-18, 2011.
- Ramadas, A.S., Jayaraj, S., and Muraleedharan, C. , “Dual Fuel Mode Operation in Diesel Engines Using Renewable Fuels: Rubber Seed oil and Coir-Pith Producer Gas,” Renewable Energy 33:2077-2083, 2008.
- Lata, D.B. and Misra, A. , “Theoretical and Experimental Investigations on the Performance of Dual Fuel Diesel Engine with Hydrogen and LPG as Secondary Fuels,” Hydrogen Energy 35(21):11918-11931, 2010.
- Karim, G.A. and Liu, Z. , “A Predictive Model for Knock in Dual Fuel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 921550, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/921550.
- Ryu, K. , “Effects of Pilot Injection Timing on the Combustion and Emissions Characteristics in a Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel-CNG Dual Fuel,” Applied Energy 111:721-730, 2013.
- Saleh, H.E. , “The Preparation and Shock Tube Investigation of Comparative Ignition Delays Using Blends of Diesel Fuel with Bio-Diesel of Cottonseed oil,” Fuel 90:421-429, 2011.
- Luft, S. and Michalczewski, A. , “Analysis of Chosen Parameters of Dual Fuel CI Engine Fuelled with Propane- Butane Gas as a Main Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2234, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2234.
- Luft, S. , “The Influence of Regulating Parameters of Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine Fuelled with LPG on its Maximum Torque, Overall Efficiency and Emission,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3264, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3264.
- Lounici, M.S., Loubar, K., Tarabet, L. et al. , “Towards Improvement of Natural Gas-Diesel Dual Fuel Mode: An Experimental Investigation on Performance and Exhaust Emissions,” Energy 64:200-211, 2014.
- Selim, M.Y.E. , “Pressure-Time Characteristics in Diesel Engine Fueled with Natural Gas,” Renewable Energy 22:473-489, 2001.
- Gunea, C., Razavi, M.R.M., and Karim, G.A. , “The Effect of Pilot Fuel Quantity on Dual Fuel Ignition Delay,” SAE Technical Paper 982453, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982453.
- Tira, H.S., Herreros, J.M., Tsolakis, A., and Wyszynski, M.L. , “Influence of the Addition of LPG-Reformate and H2 on an Engine Dually Fuelled with LPG-Diesel, −RME and -GTL Fuels,” Fuel 118:73-82, 2014.
- Gumus, M., Sayin, C., and Canakci, M. , “Effect of Fuel Injection Timing on the Injection, Combustion, and Performance Characteristics of a Direct-Injection (DI) Diesel Engine Fueled with Canola oil Methyl Ester-Diesel Fuel Blends,” Energy & fuels 24(MAIJUN):3199-3213.
- Meng, X., Chen, G., and Wang, Y. , “Biodiesel Production from Waste Cooking Oil via Alkali Catalyst and Its Engine Test,” Fuel Processing Technology 89(9):851-857, 2008.
- Ryu, K. , “The Characteristics of Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a Diesel Engine Using a Biodiesel with Antioxidants,” Bioresource Technology 101(1 Supplement):S78-S82, Jan. 2010.
- Abd-Alla, G.H. and Soliman, H.A. , “Effect of Injection Timing on the Performance of a Dual Fuel Engine,” Energy Convers. Manag. 43:269-277, 2002.
- Alam, M., Goto, S., Sugiyama, K., Kajiwara, M. et al. , “Performance and Emissions of a DI Diesel Engine Operated with LPG and Ignition Improving Additives,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3680, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3680.