This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optical Characterization of the Combustion Process inside a Large-Bore Dual-Fuel Two-Stroke Marine Engine by Using Multiple High-Speed Cameras
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dual-fuel engines for marine propulsion are gaining in importance due to operational and environmental benefits. Here the combustion in a dual-fuel marine engine operating on diesel and natural gas, is studied using a multiple high-speed camera arrangement. By recording the natural flame emission from three different directions the flame position inside the engine cylinder can be spatially mapped and tracked in time. Through space carving a rough estimate of the three-dimensional (3D) flame contour can be obtained. From this contour, properties like flame length and height, as well as ignition locations can be extracted. The multi-camera imaging is applied to a dual-fuel marine two-stroke engine, with a bore diameter of 0.5 m and a stroke of 2.2 m. Both liquid and gaseous fuels are directly injected at high pressure, using separate injection systems. Optical access is obtained using borescope inserts, resulting in a minimum disturbance to the cylinder geometry. In this type of engine, with fuel injection from positions at the rim of the cylinder, the flame morphology becomes asymmetric. The optical spatial mapping and tracking method is demonstrated to be well suited for the study of such an asymmetric combustion system. Spatial mapping and tracking of flame position is applied to both engine operating modes; normal diesel operation and dual-fuel operation with diesel pilot ignition of the gas. Similarities and differences between diesel and gas flame shape and development can thus be visualised directly. The effects of changing charge density, gas injection pressure and injection nozzle geometry on the flame geometry and development are also studied.
CitationHult, J., Matamis, A., Baudoin, E., Mayer, S. et al., "Optical Characterization of the Combustion Process inside a Large-Bore Dual-Fuel Two-Stroke Marine Engine by Using Multiple High-Speed Cameras," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0788, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0788.
- MAN Energy Solutions Paper , “MAN B&W ME-LGIP Dual-Fuel Engines - Dual-Fuel Technology Reshapes the Future Two-Stroke Engine Operation,” https://man-es.com/docs/default-source/lgip/5510-0210-00ppr-man-b-w-me-lgip-dual-fuel-engines-web.pdf, accessed Aug. 2018.
- Juliussen, L.R., Mayer, S., and Kryger, M. , “The MAN ME-GI Engine: From Initial System Considerations to Implementation and Performance Optimization,” in CIMAC Congress, Shanghai, China, May 13-16, 2013, Paper Nbr. 424.
- Juliussen, L.R., Kryger, M.J., Lee, H.T., and Choi, H.J. “Service Experience with the First MAN B&W Diesel ME-GI Engines Onboard LNG Vessels,” in CIMAC Congress, Helsinki, Finland, June 6-10, 2016, Paper Nbr. 269.
- Ott, M., Nylund, I., Alder, R., Hirose, T. et al. , “The 2-Stroke Low-Pressure Dual-Fuel Technology: From Concept to Reality,” in CIMAC Congress, Helsinki, Finland, June 6-10, 2016, Paper Nbr. 233.
- Mayer, S., Sjöholm, J., Murakami, T., Shimada, K. et al. , “Performance and Emission Results from the MAN B&W LGI Low-Speed Engine Operating on Methanol,” in CIMAC Congress, Helsinki, Finland, June 6-10, 2016, Paper Nbr. 101.
- Takasaki, K., Tsuru, D., Hirata, J., Hult, J. et al. , “Visual Study of Combustion for Development of Alternative Liquid and Gs Fuels,” in CIMAC Congress, Helsinki, Finland, June 6-10, 2016, Paper Nbr. 91.
- Mayer, S., Cong, S., Andersen, T.M., and Juliusen, L. , “Performance and Emission Results from the MAN B&W LGI-P Low-Speed Engine Operating on LPG,” in CIMAC Congress, Vancouver, Canada, June 10-14, 2019, Paper Nbr. 169.
- Sarjovaara, T., Hillamo, H., Larmi, M., and Olenius, T. , “Optical In-Cylinder Measurements of a Large-Bore Medium-Speed Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2477, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2477.
- Schulz, R., Herrmann, K., Von Rotz, B., Hensel, S. et al. , “Assessing the Performance of Spray and Combustion Simulation Tools against Reference Data Obtained in a Spray Combustion Chamber Representative of Large Two-Stroke Diesel Engine Combustion Systems,” in CIMAC Congress, Bergen, Norway, June 14-17, 2010, Paper no. 247.
- Hult, J. and Mayer, S. , “A Methodology for Laser Diagnostics in Large-Bore Marine Two-Stroke Diesel Engines,” Meas. Sci. Technol. 24(045204), 2013, doi:10.1088/0957-0233/24/4/045204.
- Hult, J., Matlok, S., and Mayer, S. , “Optical Diagnostics of Fuel Injection and Ignition in a Marine Two-Stroke Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(3):1195-1206, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1448.
- Unfug, F., Wagner, U., Beck, K., Pfeil, J. et al. , “Investigation of Fuel Spray Propagation, Combustion and Soot Formation/Oxidation in a Single Cylinder Medium Speed Diesel Engine,” ASME Technical Paper ICEF2012-92038, 2012, doi:10.1115/ICEF2012-92038.
- Imhof, D. and Takasaki, K. , “Visual Combustion Research Using the Rapid Compression Expansion Machine,” MTZ Ind. 2:28-39, 2012, doi:10.1365/s40353-012-0037-6.
- Mayer, S., Clausen, S., Hult, J., and Nogenmyr, K.J. , “Advanced Optical Development Tools for Two-Stroke Marine Diesel Engines,” in CIMAC Congress, Shanghai, China, May 13-16, 2013, Paper Nbr. 53.
- Von Rotz, B., Schmid, A., Hensel, S., Herrmann, K. et al. , “Comparative Investigations of Spray Formation, Ignition and Combustion for LFO and HFO at Conditions Relevant for Large 2-Stroke Marine Diesel Engine Combustion Systems,” in CIMAC Congress, Helsinki, Finland, June 6-10, 2016, Paper Nbr. 253.
- Schmid, A., Von Rotz, B., Weisser, G., and Herrmann, K. , “Ignition Behaviour of Marine Diesel Fuels under Engine like Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2656, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2656.
- Bolla, M., Srna, A., Wright, Y., Von Rotz, B. et al. , “Influence of Injector Diameter (0.2-1.2 Mm Range) on Diesel Spray Combustion: Measurements and CFD Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1419, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1419.
- Hirose, T., Masuda, Y., Yamada, T., Umemoto, Y. et al. , “Technical Challenge for the 2-Stroke Premixed Combustion Gas Engine (Pre-Ignition Behavior and Overcoming Technique),” in CIMAC Congress, Shanghai, China, May 13-16, 2013, Paper Nbr. 185.
- Mayer, S., Poulsen, H.H., and Hult, J. . “In-Situ Optical Combustion Diagnostics on a Large Two-Stroke Marine Diesel Engine,” in CIMAC Congress, Bergen, Norway, June 14-17, 2010, Paper Nbr. 40.
- Hult, J., Matlok, S., and Mayer, S. , “Particle Image Velocimetry Measurements of Swirl and Scavenging in a Large Marine Two-Stroke Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1173, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1173.
- Nada, F.A., Hult, J., Knappe, C., Richter, M. et al. , “A First Application of Thermographic Phosphors in a Marine Two-Stroke Diesel Engine for Surface Temperature Measurement,” ASME Technical Paper ICEF2014-5417, 2014, doi:10.1115/ICEF2014-5417.
- Hult, J., Simmank, P., Matlok, S., Mayer, S. et al. , “Interior Flow and Near-Nozzle Spray Development in a Marine-Engine Diesel Fuel Injector,” Exp. Fluids 57:1-19, 2016, doi:10.1007/s00348-016-2134-8.
- Gilabert, G., Lu, G., and Yan, Y. , “Three-Dimensional Tomographic Reconstruction of the Luminosity Distribution of a Combustion Flame,” IEEE Trans. Instr. Meas. 56:1300-1306, 2007, doi:10.1109/TIM.2007.900161.
- Tanahashi, M., Inoue, S., Shimura, M., Taka, S. et al. , “Reconstructed 3D Flame Structures in Noise-Controlled Swirl-Stabilized Combustor,” Exp. in Fluids 45(3):447-460, 2008, doi:10.1007/s00348-008-0487-3.
- Worth, N.A. and Dawson, J.R. , “Tomographic Reconstruction of OH∗ Chemiluminescence in Two Interacting Turbulent Flames,” Meas. Sci. Technol. 24(024013), 2013, doi:10.1088/0957-0233/24/2/024013.
- Bheemul, H.C., Lu, G., and Yan, Y. , “Three-Dimensional Visualization and Quantitative Characterization of Gaseous Flames,” Meas. Sci. Technol. 13:1643, 2002, doi:10.1088/0957-0233/13/10/318.
- Bheemul, H.C., Lu, G., and Yan, Y. , “Digital Imaging-Based Three-Dimensional Characterization of Flame Front Structures in a Turbulent Flame,” IEEE Trans. Instr. Meas. 4:1073-1078, 2005, doi:10.1109/TIM.2005.847238.
- Fujisawa, N. and Nakashima, K. , “Simultaneous Measurement of Three-Dimensional Flame Contour and Velocity Field for Characterizing the Flickering Motion of a Dilute Hydrogen Flame,” Meas. Sci. Technol. 18:2103, 2007, doi:10.1088/0957-0233/18/7/041.
- Floyd, J., Geipel, P., and Kempf, A. , “Computed Tomography of Chemiluminescence (Ctc): Instantaneous 3d Measurements and Phantom Studies of a Turbulent Opposed Jet Flame,” Comb. Flame 158:376-391, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.09.006.
- Han, K., Velji, A., and Spicher, U. , “A New Approach for Three-Dimensional High-Speed Combustion Diagnostics in Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3315, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3315.
- Hult, J., Matamis, A., Baudoin, E., Mayer, S., Richter, M. , “Spatiotemporal Flame Mapping in a Large-Bore Marine Diesel Engine Using Multiple High-Speed Cameras,” Int. J. Engine Research, 2019, accepted for publication.
- Aronsson, U., Chartier, C., Horn, U., Andersson, Ö. et al. , “Heat Release Comparison between Optical and all-Metal HSDI Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1062, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1062.
- Zhang, Z. , “A Flexible New Technique for Camera Calibration,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 22:1330-1334, 2000, doi:10.1109/34.888718.
- Kurolakos, K.N. and Seitz, S.M. , “A Theory of Shape by Space Carving,” Int. J. of Computer Vision 38:199-218, 2000, doi:10.1023/A:1008191222954.
- Juliussen, L., Mayer, S. and Kryger, M. , “The MAN ME-GI Engine: From Initial System Considerations to Implementation and Performance Optimisation,” in CIMAC Congress, Shanghai, China, May 13-16, 2013, Paper Nbr. 424.
- Schmid, A., Von Rotz, B., Bombach, R., Herrmann, K., and Weisser, G. , “Investigation of Marine Diesel Ignition and Combustion at Engine-like Conditions by Means of OH* Chemiluminescence and Soot Incandescence,” in COMODIA 2012, Fukuoka, Japan, July 24-26, 2012, Paper Nbr. CI1-2.