This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Novel Prediction Algorithm for Heavy Vehicles System Rollover Risk Based on Failure Probability Analysis and SVM Empirical Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The study of heavy vehicles rollover prediction, especially in algorithm-based heavy vehicles active safety control for improving road handling, is a challenging task for the heavy vehicle industry. Due to the high fatality rate caused by vehicle rollover, how to precisely and effectively predict the rollover of heavy vehicles became a hot topic in both academia and industry. Because of the strong non-linear characteristics of Human-Vehicle-Road interaction and the uncertainty of modeling, the traditional deterministic method cannot predict the rollover hazard of heavy vehicles accurately. To deal with the above issues, this paper applies a probability method of uncertainty to the design of a dynamic rollover prediction algorithm for heavy vehicles and proposes a novel algorithm for predicting the rollover hazard based on the combined empirical model of reliability index and failure probability. Moreover, the paper establishes a classification model of heavy vehicles based on the support vector machine (SVM) and uses the Monte Carlo method to calculate the failure probability of rollover limit state of heavy vehicles. The fishhook, double lane change, and slalom maneuver tests of heavy vehicles are used to predict and validate the proposed algorithm in real-time. The simulation results show that the rollover prediction method based on failure probability is accurate and real-time, and can effectively improve the rollover prediction accuracy. Meanwhile, the proposed approach reduces the external interference of strong non-linear characteristics of Human-Vehicle-Road interaction and the uncertainty of the modeling to the system, thus significantly improving the prediction accuracy of active safety performance of heavy vehicles.
- Tianjun Zhu - Hebei University of Engineering
- Xiaoxuan Yin - Hebei University of Engineering
- Zhenfeng Wang - China Automotive Technology and Reseach Center Co.,Ltd
- Dong Wang - Suzhou Zijing Qingyuan Automotive Co.Ltd
- Fei Li - China Automotive Technology and Reseach Center Co.,Ltd
- Xinyu Wang - China Automotive Technology and Reseach Center Co.,Ltd
- Wei Ma - Hebei University of Engineering
- Zheng Wang - Harbin Institute of Technology
CitationZhu, T., Yin, X., Wang, Z., Wang, D. et al., "A Novel Prediction Algorithm for Heavy Vehicles System Rollover Risk Based on Failure Probability Analysis and SVM Empirical Model," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0701, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Zhi, H., Nie, W.T., Kou, S.W. et al. , “Rollover Detection and Control on the Non-Driven Axles of Trucks Based on Pulsed Braking Excitation,” Vehicle System Dynamics 56:1864-1882, 2018, doi:10.1080/00423114.2018.1439978.
- Li, B. and Bei, S.Y. , “Search Method of Vehicle Rollover Mechanism under Critical Instability Condition,” Advances in Mechanical Engineering 11:1-11, 2019, doi:10.1177/1687814018821218.
- Mansour, A., Amir, K., and Soo, J. , “Model Predictive Rollover Prevention for Steer-by-Wire Vehicles with a New Rollover Index,” International Journal of Control 45:23-35, 2018, doi:10.1080/00207179.2018.1535198.
- Li, L., Lu, Y.S., Wang, R.R. et al. , “A Three-Dimensional Dynamics Control Framework of Vehicle Lateral Stability and Rollover Prevention Via Active Braking with MPC,” Journal of IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 64:3389-3401, 2017, doi:10.1109/TIE.2016.2583400.
- Ghazali, M., Durali, M., and Salarieh, H. , “Path-Following in Model Predictive Rollover Prevention Using Front Steering and Braking,” Vehicle System Dynamics 55:121-148, 2017, doi:10.1080/00423114.2016.1246741.
- Braghin, F., Cheli, F., Corradi, R. et al. , “Active Anti-Rollover System for Heavy-Duty Road Vehicles,” Vehicle System Dynamics 46:653-668, 2008, doi:10.1080/00423110802033064.
- Anubi, O.M. and Crane, C.D. , “Roll Stabilization of Road Vehicles Using a Variable Stiffness Suspension System,” Journal of Vehicle System Dynamics 51:1894-1917, 2013, doi:10.1080/00423114.2013.843713.
- Dahmani, H., Pages, O., and El Hajjaji, A. , “Observer-Based Robust Control of Vehicle Dynamics for Rollover Mitigation in Critical Situations,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 15:274-284, 2014, doi:10.1109/TITS.2013.2281135.
- Jin, Z.L., Zhang, L. et al. , “Stability and Optimised H∞ Control of Tripped and Untripped Vehicle Rollover,” Journal of Vehicle System Dynamics 54:1405-1427, 2016, doi:10.1080/00423114.2016.1205750.
- Mashadi, B. and Mostaghimi, H. , “Vehicle Lift-Off Modelling and a New Rollover Detection Criterion,” Journal of Vehicle System Dynamics 55:704-724, 2017, doi:10.1080/00423114.2016.1278076.
- Li, H., Zhao, Y.Q., Wang, H.Y. et al. , “Design of an Improved Predictive LTR for Rollover Warning Systems,” Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering 39:3779-3791, 2017, doi:10.1007/s40430-017-0796-7.
- Wang, F.C., Chen, Y. “Detection of Vehicle Tripped and Untripped Rollovers by a Novel Index with Mass-Center-Position Estimations,” in ASME 2017 Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, 2017. doi:10.1115/DSCC2017-5149.
- He, Y., Chu, D.F., Lu, X.Y. et al. “Probabilistic Assessment for HDVs Rollover Using Second Order Reliability Method,” in 2017 4th International Conference on Transportation Information and Safety (ICTIS), 2017, doi:10.1109/ICTIS.2017.8047746.
- Imine, H., Benallegue, A., Madani, T. et al. , “Rollover Risk Prediction of Heavy Vehicle Using High-Order Sliding-Mode Observer: Experimental Results,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 63:2533-2543, 2014, doi:10.1109/TVT.2013.2292998.
- Zhu, T.J. and Zong, C.F. , “Rollover Warning System of Heavy Duty Vehicle Based on Improved TTR Algorithm,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering 47:88-94, 2011, doi:10.3901/JME.2011.10.088.
- Liu, C.C. and Hu, C. , The Uncertainty of Measurement Was Evaluated by Monte Carlo Method Based on MATLAB (Bei Jing: China Quality Inspection Publishing House, 2014), 121-132.
- Suo, B. , Reliability Analysis, Evaluation and Robust Design Based on Quantifying Uncertainty (Bei Jing: China Quality Inspection Publishing House, 2018), 134-137.
- Joa, E., Yi, K., and Kim, K. , “A Lateral Driver Model for Vehicle-Driver Closed-Loop Simulation at the Limits of Handling,” Vehicle System Dynamics 53:1-22, 2015, doi:10.1080/00423114.2015.1042485.
- Tsourapas, V., Piyabongkam, D., Williams, A.C., et al. “New Method of Identifying Real-Time Predictive Lateral Load Transfer Ratio for Rollover Prevention Systems,” in Conference on American Control Conference IEEE Press, 2009, doi:10.1109/ACC.2009.5160061.
- Cortes, C. and Vapnik, V. , “Support-Vector Networks,” Machine Learning 20:273-297, 1995, doi:10.1007/bf00994018.
- Yang, Z. and Liu, G. , Uncertain Support Vector Machines- Algorithms and Applications (Bei Jing: Science Press, 2017), 56-67.
- Yang, X.W. and Hao, Z.F. , Algorithm Design and Analysis of Support Vector Machine (Bei Jing: Science Press, 2013), 173-178.
- Hurtado, J.E., London, J.M. , “A Method for Reliability-Based Design Mixing Support Vector Machines and Particle Swarm Optimization,” in Proceedings of the Eight World Congress on Computational Mechanics VIIIWCCM, 2008, 231-241.
- Kim, W., Yi, K., and Lee, J. , “Development of a Driving Control Algorithm and Performance Verification Using Real-Time Simulator for a 6WD/6WS Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0262, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0262.
- Jin, Z.L., Li, J.X., Huang, Y.J. et al. , “Study on Rollover Index and Stability for a Triaxle Bus,” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 4:1-15, 2019, doi:10.1186/s10033-019-0376-0.
- Wang, Z.F., Dong, M.M., Qin, Y.C. et al. , “Fuzzy Observer-Based Prescribed Performance Control of Vehicle Roll Behavior Via Controllable Damper,” IEEE Access, 2019, doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2896588.
- Hu, C., Wang, Z.F., Qin, Y.C. et al. , “Lane Keeping Control of Autonomous Vehicles with Prescribed Performance Considering the Rollover Prevention and Input Saturations,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 2019, doi:10.1109/TITS.2019.2924937.