Impact of Mixed Traffic on the Energy Savings of a Truck Platoon
ISSN: 2641-9637, e-ISSN: 2641-9645
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Citation: McAuliffe, B., Raeesi, A., Lammert, M., Smith, P. et al., "Impact of Mixed Traffic on the Energy Savings of a Truck Platoon," SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 2(3):1472-1496, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0679.
- Marcu, B. and Browand, F. , “Aerodynamic Forces Experienced by a 3-Vehicle Platoon in a Crosswind,” SAE Paper 1999-01-1324 , 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1324.
- Tsuei, L. and Savas, O. , “Transient Aerodynamics of Vehicle Platoons during in-line Oscillations,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 89:1085-1111, 2001.
- Lammert, M. and Kelly, K. , “Correlations of Platooning Track Test and Wind Tunnel Data,” NREL Technical Report NREL/TP-5400-68897, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2018.
- Salari, K. and Ortega, J. , “Experimental Investigation of the Aerodynamic Benefits of Truck Platooning,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0732 , https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0732.
- McAuliffe, B.R. and Ahmadi-Baloutaki, M. , “A Wind-Tunnel Investigation of the Influence of Separation Distance, Lateral Stagger, and Trailer Configuration on the Drag-Reduction Potential of a Two-Truck Platoon,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 11(2):125-150, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/02-11-02-0011.
- van Tilborg, F., Van Raemdonck, G., Sciacchitano, A., and Casalino, D. , “Flow Analysis between Two Bluff Bodies in a Close Distance Platooning Configuration,” Int. J. Commer. Veh. 12(3):179-196, 2019, doi:10.4271/02-12-03-0015.
- Bonnet, C. and Fritz, H. , “Fuel Consumption Reduction in a Platoon: Experimental Results with Two Electronically Coupled Trucks at Close Spacing,” SAE Paper 2000-01-3056 , 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3056.
- Browand, F., McArthur, J., and Radovich, C. “Fuel Saving Achieved in the Field Test of Two Tandem Trucks,” California PATH Research Report UCB-ITS-PRR-2004-20, 2004.
- Al Alam, A., Gattami, A. and Johansson, K.H. , “An Experimental Study on the Fuel Reduction Potential of Heavy Duty Vehicle Platooning,” in 13th International IEEE Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Madeira Island, Portugal, 2010.
- Roeth, M. , “CR England Peloton Technology Platooning Test Nov. 2013,” North American Council for Freight Efficiency (NACFE), Peloton, 2013.
- Lammert, M., Gonder, J., Kelly, K., Salari, K. et al. , “Class 8 Tractor Trailer Platooning: Effects, Impacts, and Improvements,” in Automated Vehicle Symposium, San Francisco, CA, July 19-21, 2016, Technical Report NREL/PO-5400-66766.
- Tsugawa, S. , “Results and Issues of an Automated Truck Platoon within the Energy ITS Project,” in 2014 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), Dearborn, MI, June 8-11, 2014.
- Humphreys, H.L., Batterson, J., Bevly, D., and Schubert, R. , “An Evaluation of the Fuel Economy Benefits of a Driver Assistive Truck Platooning Prototype Using Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0167 , 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0167.
- Roberts, J., Mihelic, R., Roeth, M., and Rondini, D. , “Confidence Report on Two-Truck Platooning,” Technical Report, North American Council for Freight Efficiency (NACFE), 2016.
- McAuliffe, B.R., Ahmadi-Baloutaki, M., Croken, M., and Raeesi, A. , “Fuel-Economy Testing of a Three-Vehicle Truck Platooning System,” NRC Report LTR-AL-2017-0008, National Research Council Canada, 2017.
- Bevly, D., Murray, C., Lim, A., Turochy, R. et al. , “Heavy Truck Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control: Evaluation, Testing, and Stakeholder Engagement for Near Term Deployment: Phase Two Final Report.” Technical Report FHWA-, Auburn University, 2017.
- McAuliffe, B.R., Lammert, M., Lu, X., Shladover, S. et al. , “Influences on Energy Savings of Heavy Trucks Using Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control,” SAE Paper 2018-01-1181 , 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1181.
- Hammache, M., Michaelian, M., and Browand, F. , “Aerodynamic Forces on Truck Models, Including Two Trucks in Tandem,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0530 , 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0530.
- Tsugawa, S., Kato, S. and Aoki, K. , “An Automated Truck Platoon for Energy Saving,” in IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. San Francisco, CA, 2011.
- Davila, A., Aramburu, E., and Freixas, A. , “Making the Best Out of Aerodynamics: Platoons,” SAE Paper 2013-01-0767 , 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0767.
- Smith, J., Mihelic, R., Gifford, B., and Ellis, M. , “Aerodynamic Impact of Tractor-Trailer in Drafting Configuration,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7(2), 2014. https://doi.org.10.4271/2014-01-2436(2014-01-2436).
- Ellis, M., Gargoloff, J.I., and Sengupta, R. , “Aerodynamic Drag and Engine Cooling Effects on Class 8 Trucks in Platooning Configurations,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 8(2), 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2896(2015-01-2896).
- Mihelic, R., Smith, J., and Ellis, M. , “Aerodynamic Comparison of Tractor-Trailer Platooning and A-Train Configuration,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 8(2):740-746, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2897.
- Humphreys, H.L. and Bevly, D. , “Computational Fluid Dynamic Analysis of a Generic 2 Truck Platoon,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8008 , 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8008.
- Siemon, M., Smith, P., Nichols, D. et al. , “An Integrated CFD and Truck Simulation for 4 Vehicle Platoons,” SAE Paper 2018-01-0797 , 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0797.
- SAE J1321 , “Fuel Consumption Test Procedure - Type II,” Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice J1321, 2012.
- Lammert, M.P., McAuliffe, B.R., Raeesi, A., Smith, P. et al. , “Impact of Lateral Alignment on the Energy Savings of a Truck Platoon,” SAE Paper 2020-01-0594 , 2020.
- McAuliffe, B.R. , “Improving the Aerodynamic Efficiency of Heavy Duty Vehicles: Wind Tunnel Test Results of Trailer-Based Drag-Reduction Technologies,” NRC Report LTRAL-2015-0272, National Research Council, Canada, 2015.
- SAE J1252 , “SAE Wind Tunnel Test Procedure for Trucks and Busses.” Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice J1252, 2012.
- McCallen, R., Couch, R., Hsu, J., Leaonard, A. et al. , “Progress in Reducing Aerodynamic Drag for Higher Efficiency of Heavy Duty Trucks (Class 7-8),” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2238 , 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2238.
- Leuschen, J. and Cooper, K.R. , “Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Tests of Production and Prototype, Second-Generation Aerodynamic Drag-Reduction Devices for Tractor-Trailers,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3456 , 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3456.
- Ortega, J.M., Salari, K., Brown, A., and Schoon, R. , “Aerodynamic Drag Reduction of Class 8 Heavy Vehicles: A Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Study,” Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Report LLNL-TR-628153, 2013.
- McAuliffe, B.R. and Wall, A.S. , “Aerodynamic Performance of Flat-Panel Boat-Tails and Their Interactive Benefits with Side-Skirts,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh 9(2), 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8015.
- Smith, P., and Bevly, D. , “Analysis of On-Road Highway Testing for a Two Truck Controlled Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Cruise (CACC) Platoon,” SAE Technical Paper, 2020, in print.
- McAuliffe, B.R. and Ahmadi-Baloutaki, M. , “An Investigation of the Influence of Close-Proximity Traffic on the Aerodynamic Drag Experienced by Tractor-Trailer Combinations,” SAE International Journal of Advances and Current Practices in Mobility 1(3):1251-1264, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0648.
- Wang, Z., Bian, Y., Shladover, S.E., Wu, G. et al. , “A Survey on Cooperative Longitudinal Motion Control of Multiple Connected and Automated Vehicles,” IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine, 2019.
- Smith, P., Ward, J., Pierce, J., Bevly, D. et al. , “Experimental Results and Analysis of a Longitudinal Controlled Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Cruise (CACC) Truck Platoon,” Dynamic Systems and Control Conference 2019, 2019.
- Hooper, J.D. and Musgrove, A.R. , “Reynolds Stress, Mean Velocity, and Dynamic Static Pressure Measurements by a Four-Hole Pressure Probe,” Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci. 15:375-383, 1997.
- Moffat, R.J. , “Contributions to the Theory of Single-Sample Uncertainty Analysis,” Journal of Fluids Engineering 104:250-258, 1982.