This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Tire Work Load (TWL) Based Controller for Active Independent Front Steering System (AIFS)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Vehicle Handling performance depends on many parameters. One of the most important parameters is the dynamic behavior of the steering system. However, steering system had been enhanced thoroughly over the past decade where Active Front Steering (AFS) is now present and other system as Active Independent Front Steering (AIFS) is currently in the research phase. Actually, AFS system adopt the front wheels’ angles base on the actual input steering angle from the driver according to vehicle handling dynamics performance. While, the AIFS controls the angle of each front wheel individually to avoid reaching the saturation limits of any of the front wheels’ adhesion. In this paper modeling and analysis of an AIFS is presented with Tire Work Load (TWL) based controller. Magic Formula tire model is implemented to represent the tire in lateral slip condition. A specially derived 3-DOF vehicle handling model longitudinal, lateral and yaw motion with four wheels is capable for studying AIFS implementing proposed control strategy. AIFS system is proposed to implement two main control strategies, which are PI controller only for yaw rate correction and the other controller incorporate a Fuzzy controller for TWL in addition to the prescribed PI controller. Simulation of the developed model with the proposed control strategies is been tested on constant radius maneuver at high vehicle lateral acceleration levels. Furthermore, the effect of split adhesion, on both track sides, is also investigated. The effect of PI feedback gains and the Fuzzy TWL controllers had been validated to eliminate the possibility of losing directional stability of the vehicle.
CitationBahnasy, M., Aly, M., and Oraby, W., "A Tire Work Load (TWL) Based Controller for Active Independent Front Steering System (AIFS)," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0648, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0648.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- E. NCAP , “Euro NCAP 2025 Roadmap,” In Pursuit of Vision Zero, Septamber 12, 2017.
- Dang, J.N. , Statistical Analysis of the Effectiveness of Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Systems - Final Report (Washington: U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2007).
- Wong, J.Y. , Theory of Ground Vehicles (Ottawa: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001).
- Sano, S., Furukawa, Y., and Shiraishi, S. , “Four Wheel Steering System with Rear Wheel Steer Angle Controlled as a Function of Steering Wheel Angle,” SAE Technical Paper 860625, 1986, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/860625.
- Saxena, S., Kumar, V., Luthra, S.S., and Kumar, A. , “4 Wheel Steering Systems (4WAS),” International Journal of MEchanical Engineering and Robotics Research 1(1):213-2019, 2014.
- Oraby, W.A.H. , “Improvement of Vehicle Lateral Stability During Overtaking Process by Active Front Steering System,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0810, 2007, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0810.
- Kojo, T., Suzumura, M., Tsuchiya, Y., and Hattori, Y. , “Development of Active Front Steering Control System,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0404, 2005, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0404.
- Klier, W. and Reinelt, W. , “Active Front Steering (Part 1): Mathematical,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1102, 2004, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1102.
- Reinelt, W., Klier, W., Reimann, G., Schuster, W., and Grobheim, R. , “Active Front Steering (Part 2): Safety and Functionality,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1102, 2004, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1102.
- Amitesh Kumar, D.E. , “An Overview of Active Front Steering System,” International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research 3(6), 2012.
- Sun, Z. , Robust Control Design for Vehicle Steer-by-Wire Systems (Melbourne: SwinBurn University of Technology, 2017).
- INFINITI_NEWS , “Direct Adaptive Steering,” INFINITY, 2013. [Online]. Available: https://infinitinews.com/media_storage/images/DASinfo.pdf. [Accessed 26 April 2019].
- Yao, Y. , “Vehicle Steer-by-Wire System Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1175, 2006, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1175.
- Ahmed, A., Rawat, V., and Bhat, A.R. , “Active Front Independent Steering System and its Control for Road Vehicle with Understeer Characteristics,” in International Conference on Advances in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (ICAEME), Phuket (Thailand), 2012.
- Rawat, V. , “Active Independent Front Steering for Yaw-Rate Control and Tire Work-Load Equalization in Road Vehicles,” Master Thesis, Concordia University, Canada, Library and Archives Canada, 2007.
- Buchalik, R. , “Evaluation of a Conceptual Vehicle Steering System for Independent Wheel Control,” Scientific Journal of Silesian University of Technology. Series Transport 94:0209-3324, 2017.
- Farazandeh, A. , Synthesis and Analysis of an Active Independent Front Steering (AIFS) System (Montreal: Concordia University, 2015).
- Ahmed, A., Rawat, V. and Bhat, A.R. , “Vehicle Steering Mechanism for Active Independent Front Steering System,” in 3rd International Conference on Mechanical, Production and Automobile Engineering (ICMPAE), Bali, 2013.
- Pacejka, H.B. , Tyre and Vehicle Dynamics Second Edition (Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann, Elsevier, 2006).
- Svendenius, J. , Tire Modeling and Friction Estimation (Lund: Lund University, 2007).
- Elbeheiry, E., Zeyada, Y., and Elaraby, M. , “Handling Capabilities of Vehicles in Emergencies Using Coordinated AFS and ARMC Systems,” International Journal of Vehicle Mechanics and Mobility 3:195-215, 2001.
- Uil and i. R.T , Tyre Models for Steady-State Vehicle Handling Analysis (Eindhoven: Eindhoven University of Technology, 2007).
- Bian, M., Chen, L., Luo, Y., and Li, K. , “A Dynamic Model for Tire/Road Friction Estimation under Combined Longitudinal/Lateral Slip Situation,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0123, 2014, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0123.