This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Tire Dynamics over Small Obstacles Using Virtual Profiles and a Substructuring Method
Published November 01, 1991 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
In this paper a model is presented which allows to simulate the dynamic response of a tire rolling over elementary road obstacles, whether its spindle is pinned to a test machine or coupled to a vehicle suspension. First the notion of virtual profile is introduced which allows to decrease the number of degrees of freedom accounted for in the contact area without any significant loss in calculation accuracy. Then the principles of dynamic substructuring methods are discussed and applied for the reduction of complex finite element representations to a limited set of most significant equations.
Experimental and predictive methods for the evaluation of tire parameters in the model are reviewed as well as theoretical ways of implementing its coupling to actual suspension models.
Finally a set of simulated data is provided under various operating conditions. It is also found that this data shows good agreement with equivlent experimental results.
CitationP., V. and P., P., "Simulation of Tire Dynamics over Small Obstacles Using Virtual Profiles and a Substructuring Method," SAE Technical Paper 912580, 1991.
- Sundaram S. Hohman R. Richards T. “Vibration Modes of a Tire Using MSC/NASTRAN” User's conference Pasadena Cal. March 1985
- Richards T. Charek. Scavuzzo R. “The effects of Spindle and Patch Boundary Conditions on Tire Vibration modes” SAE Paper Feb. 1986
- Sundaram S.V Richards T. Charek L.T. “A New Tire Model for Vehicle NVH Analysis” SAE Paper Feb. 1987
- Vinesse E. “Tyre Vibration Testing From Modal Analysis to Dispersion Relations” ISATA Proceedings Florence Italy June 1988
- Vinesse E. Nicollet H. “Surface Waves on the Rotating Tyre: An Application of Functional Analysis” Journal of Sound and Vibration Sept. 1988
- Vinesse E. Deneuvy A.C. “Modes Propres Pneumatique Comparaison Calcul Elements Finis et Analyse Modale Experimentale” Congres SIA le comfort automobile Paris Juin 1988
- Bandel P. Mongezzi “Simulation Model of the Dynamic Behavior of a Tire Running over an Obstacle” Tire science technology TSTCA 16 Apr. June
- Auclair J.M “Les methodes de sous structuration en dynamique” Materiaux, Mecanique et Electricite n° 404 30 33 1984
- Deneuvy A.C. “Modal Analysis of a Pneumatic Tyre and dynamic Simulation by a substructuring method” Proceedings 7th IMAC - Las Vegas 1989
- Pacejka H. Analysis of Tire properties (Mechanics of Pneumatics Tires) U.S. Dept of Transpt. 1981 732 737
- Pacejka H. Analysis of Tire Properties Clark Samuel K. U.S. Department of Transportation 1981 738 741
- Hiller M. Kecskemethy A. Woernle C. A Loop-Based Kinematical Analysis of Spatial Mechanism ASME Paper 86-DET-184 1986
- Hiller M. Schnelle K.P. Dynamical Analysis of a five-point wheel suspension Ingenieurs de L'Automobile 10 1987 80 84
- Hiller M. Simulation Model of a complete vehicle with nonlinear wheel suspension kinematics and relevant elasticities Proc. of IUTAM-congress Zurich 1988