This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Method of the Improvement of Wireless Power Transfer (WPT) System Efficiency, Compatibility, EMI Reduction, and Foreign Object Detection (FOD) for EV Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
During the charging Electric Vehicle (EV), power transfer occurs in the power electronics of an EV powertrain. Understanding how the Wireless Power Transfer (WPT) occurs would be beneficial for achieving convenient charging method. This paper focuses on improving WPT system pad compatibility, power transfer efficiency, EMI reduction, and Foreign Object Detection (FOD). The choice of convertible WPT pad for circular and DD type coil, improvement of pad compatibility is analyzed in this paper. In addition, several control methods of increasing WPT system efficiency are proposed. Firstly, the effect of Full Bridge - Half Bridge (FB-HB) is introduced, and the influence of a Bridgeless control scheme is discussed. A new, ferrite pad structure is applied to WPT system in order to achieve EMI reduction. Lastly, a new strategy of Foreign Object Detection (FOD) is suggested for WPT system using phase difference and frequency variation detection.
CitationCha, J., Lee, W., Choe, G., Kim, Y. et al., "A Method of the Improvement of Wireless Power Transfer (WPT) System Efficiency, Compatibility, EMI Reduction, and Foreign Object Detection (FOD) for EV Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0530, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0530.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Bosshard , R. and Kolar , J.W. Inductive Power Transfer for Electric Vehicle Charging: Technical Challenges and Tradeoffs IEEE Power Electron. Mag. 3 3 22 30 2016
- Kim , M.A. , Park , H.P. , and Jung , J.H. Design Methodology of 500 W Wireless Power Transfer Converter for High Power Transfer Efficiency The Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics 21 4 356 363 2016
- Covic , G.A. and Boys , J.T. Inductive Power Transfer Proceedings of the IEEE 101 6 1276 1289 June 2013
- Li , S. and Mi , C.C. Wireless Power Transfer for Electric Vehicle Applications IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electronics 3 1 4 17 Mar. 2015
- Chwei-Sen , W. , Stielau , O.H. , and Covic , G.A. Design Considerations for a Contactless Electric Vehicle Battery Charger IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 52 5 1308 1314 2005