This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pre-design Investigation of Resonant Frequency Effects on Gas Exchange Efficiencies of a One-kW Natural-Gas Linear Engine Alternator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Performance of a natural gas two-stroke engine incorporated in a 1-kW free-piston oscillating Linear Engine Alternator (LEA) - a household electricity generator - was investigated under different resonant frequencies for pre-design phase purposes. To increase the robustness, power density, and thermal efficiencies, the crank mechanism in free-piston LEA is omitted and all moving parts of the generator operate at a fixed resonant frequency. Flexure springs are the main source of the LEA’s stiffness and the mass-spring dynamics dominates the engine’s speed. The trade-off between the engine’s performance, mass-spring system limits, and power and efficiency targets versus the LEA speed is very crucial and demands a careful investigation specifically at the concept design stages to find the optimum design parameters and operating conditions. CFD modeling was performed to analyze the effects of resonant frequency on the engine’s gas exchange behavior. To take combustion effects into account, a semi-empirical method was employed to obtain the initial and boundary conditions during the gas exchange from experiments and imported into CFD simulation. The numerical results of the gas exchange were validated at the engine speed of 5400 RPM with the experimental results. The semi-empirical method eliminated the complicated combustion simulation and significantly reduced the computational time and well-matched with experiments within 1 % error. Results showed enhanced trapping efficiency of 7.1% per 1000 RPM, and reduced scavenging efficiencies of 5.5% per 1000 RPM as speed engine’s speed increased. Comparison of the trapping and scavenging efficiencies showed an improved fuel/power efficiency equal to about 1.45 % per each 15 Hz increase in the LEA resonant frequency.
CitationZamani Meymian, N., Darzi, M., Johnson, D., and Famouri, P., "Pre-design Investigation of Resonant Frequency Effects on Gas Exchange Efficiencies of a One-kW Natural-Gas Linear Engine Alternator," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0488, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- GENSETS , https://arpa-e.energy.gov/?q=arpa-e-programs/gensets, accessed on June 18, 2015.
- U.S. Energy Information Administration , https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=97&t=3.
- Mikalsen, R. and Roskilly, A. , “A Review of Free-Piston Engine History and Applications,” Applied Thermal Engineering 27:2339-2352, 2007.
- Bade, M., Clark, N., Robinson, M., and Famouri, P. , “Parametric Investigation of Combustion and Heat Transfer Characteristics of Oscillating Linear Engine Alternator,” Journal of Combustion, 2018, doi:10.1155/2018/2907572.
- Bade, M., Clark, N., Musho, T., and Famouri, P. , “Piston Rings Friction Comparison in a Free Piston and Conventional Crankshaft Engines,” in ASME 2018 Internal Combustion Engine division Fall Technical Conference, 2018, V002T07A012, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Subramanian, J., Heiskell, G., Mahmudzadeh, F., and Famouri, P. , “Study of Radial and Axial magnets for Linear Alternator - Free Piston Engine System,” in 2017 North American Power Symposium (NAPS), Morgantown, WV, 2017, 1-6.
- Bayat, M., Pakar, I., and Cveticanin, L. , “Nonlinear Free Vibration of Systems with Inertia and Static Type Cubic Nonlinearities: An Analytical Approach,” Mechanism and Machine Theory 77:50-58, 2014. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2014.02.009.
- Bayat, M., Pakar, I., and Bayat, M. , “Nonlinear Vibration of Multi-Body Systems with Linear and Nonlinear Springs,” Steel and Composite Structures 25(4):497-503, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2017.25.4.497.
- Bayat, M., Pakar, I., and Bayat, M. , “Approximate Analytical Solution of Nonlinear Systems Using Homotopy Perturbation Method,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering 230(1):10-17, 2016, doi:10.1177/0954408914533104.
- Zamani Meymian, N., Clark, N., Musho, T., Darzi, M. et al. , “An Optimization Method for Flexural Bearing Design for High-Stroke High-Frequency Applications,” Cryogenics 95:82-94, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.cryogenics.2018.09.008.
- Rawlings, R. and Miskimins, S. , “Flexure Springs Applied to Low-Cost Linear Drive Cryocoolers,” Proceedings of SPIE 4130:406-412, 2000.
- Subramanian, J. and Famouri, P. , “Analysis of Neutral position, Magnet - Spacer of Tubular Permanent Magnet Linear Generator for FPE Applications,” in 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Vancouver, Canada, 2019, doi:10.1109/ISIE.2019.8781327.
- Fathi Sola, J., Alinejad, F., Rahimidehgolan, F., and Niazmand, A. , “Fatigue Life Assessment of Crankshaft with Increased Horsepower,” International Journal of Structural Integrity 10(1):13-24, doi:https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSI-04-2018-0020.
- Heywood, J. and Sher, E. , The Two-Stroke Cycle Engine - Its Development, Operation, and Design (Routledge, 2017).
- Atkinson, C., Petreanu, S., Clark, N., Atkinson, R. et al. , “Numerical Simulation of a Two-Stroke Linear Engine-Alternator Combination,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0921, 1999, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0921.
- Mikalsen, R. and Roskilly, A. , “Performance Simulation of a Two-Stroke Free-Piston Engine Generator,” Applied Thermal Engineering 28, 2008.
- Fredriksson, J. and Denbratt, I. , “Simulation of a Two-Stroke Free Piston Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1871, 2004, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1871.
- Bade, M., Clark, N., Famouri, P., and Guggilapu, P. , “Performance Comparison of a Single Cylinder and a Dual Cylinder Free Piston Engine,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 141(8):081015, 2019.
- Jennings, G. , Two-Stroke Tuner’s Handbook (1973), http://www.vintagesleds.com/library/manuals/misc/Two-stroke%20Tuner's%20Handbook.pdf.
- Blair, G. , Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines (Warrendale, PA: SAE, 1994).
- Nuti, M. , Emission from Two-Stroke Engines (Warrendale, PA: SAE, 1998).
- Mitianiec, W. , “Improvements of Crankcase Delivery Ratio in Two-Stroke Engines with Volume Intake System,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3334, 1999, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3334.
- Jawad, B., Yee, K., Arslan, S., and Liu, L. , “Improving Engine Performance Through Intake Design,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1404, 2013, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1404.
- Johnson, D., Darzi, M., Ulishney, C., Bade, R. et al. , “Methods to Improve Combustion Stability, Efficiency, and Power Density of a Small, Port-Injected, Spark-Ignited, Two-Stroke Natural Gas Engine,” ICEF2017-3557, V002T07A008, 12pp., doi:10.1115/ICEF2017-3557.
- Adair, J., Olsen, D., and Kirkpatrick, A. , “Exhaust Tuning of Large Bore Multi-Cylinder Engine,” Int. J. Eng. Res. 131-142, 2006, doi:10.1243/146808705X58297.
- Obodeh, O. and Ogbor, A. , “Improving the Performance of Two-Stroke Motorcycle with Tuned Adjustable Exhaust Pipe,” Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology 59-65, 2009.
- Marti, J. , “Implementation of an Exhaust System for an Opposed Piston Two-Stroke HCCI Engine,” Thesis, Stockholm, Sweden, 2010, http://www.diva-portal.se/smash/get/diva2:460049/FULLTEXT01.pdf.
- Javhery, A., Esfahanian, V., Salavati-Zade, A., and Darzi, M. , “Energetic and Exergetic Analyses of a Variable Compression Ratio Spark Ignition Gas Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 88:739-748, 2014.
- Bozza, F., Gimelli, A., Fontanesi, S., and Severi, E. , “1D and 3D CFD Investigation of Burning Process and Knock Occurrence in a Gasoline or CNG fuelled Two-Stroke SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-32-0526, 2011, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-32-0526.
- Motoyama, Y. and Gotoh, T. , “The Effect of Higher Compression Ratio in Two-Stroke Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 93A090, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/93A090.
- Darzi, M., Johnson, D., Ulishney, C., Bade, M. et al. , “Baseline Evaluation of Ignition Timing and Compression Ratio Configurations on Efficiency and Combustion Stability of a Small-Bore, Two-Stroke, Natural Gas Engine,” IMECE2017-70078, doi:10.1115/IMECE2017-70078.
- Darzi, M., Johnson, D., Bade, M., Ulishney, C. et al. , “Quantification of Energy Pathways and Gas Exchange of a Small Port Injection SI Two-Stroke Natural Gas Engine Operating on Different Exhaust Configurations,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1278, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1278.
- Szwaja, S., Ansari, E., Rao, S., Szwaja, M. et al. , “Influence of Exhaust Residuals on Combustion Phases, Exhaust Toxic Emission and Fuel Consumption from a Natural Gas Fueled Spark-Ignition Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 165:440-446, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2018.03.075.
- Shahsavan, M., Morovatiyan, M., and Mack, J. , “The Influence of Mixedness on Ignition for Hydrogen Direct Injection in a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber,” in Spring Technical Meeting, ESSCI, State College, PA, 2018.
- Darzi, M., Johnson, D., Bade, M., Ulishney, C. et al. , “Continuously Varying Exhaust Outlet Diameter to Improve Efficiency and Emissions of a Small SI Natural Gas Two-Stroke Engine by Internal EGR,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0985, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0985.
- Javaheri, A., Esfahanian, V., Salavati-Zadeh, A., Darzi, M. et al. , “Investigation of Natural Gas Composition Effects on Knock Phenomenon in SI Gas Engines Using Detailed Chemistry,” Applied Mechanics and Materials 493:239-244, 2014.
- Zamani Meymian, N., Clark, N., Subramanian, J., Heiskell, G. et al. , “Quantification of Windage and Vibrational Losses in Flexure Springs of a One kW Two-Stroke Free Piston Linear Engine Alternator,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0816, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0816.
- Dehkordi, B., Fallah, S., and Niazmand, A. , “Investigation of Harmonic Instability of Laminar Fluid Flow Past 2D Rectangular Cross Sections with 0.5-4 Aspect Ratios,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 228(5):828-839, 2014, doi:10.1177/0954406213491906.
- ANSYS® , “Academic Research Mechanical,” Release 18.1.