This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibration and Dynamic Analysis of Right-Angle Geared Drives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The dynamics of hypoid or spiral bevel gears like most high-speed precision gears employed in the powertrains of automobiles, commercial trucks, and off highway vehicles are significantly influenced by the design of the shafts. The finite element modeling approach is one of the useful methodologies applied to perform gear dynamic analysis. One of the major advantages of the finite element modeling approach is that it can account for the gear-shaft-bearing assembly design more accurately than other modeling approaches, for example, the lumped parameter modeling approach. In this paper, the finite element formulation, which can generally represent more complete characteristics of the gear-shaft-bearing assembly design, is employed to investigate how the temperature change, shaft material type and shaft size influence the dynamics of spiral bevel gear system.
CitationHua, X., "Vibration and Dynamic Analysis of Right-Angle Geared Drives," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0415, 2020.
- Cheng, Y. , “Dynamics of High-Speed Spiral Bevel and Bevel Geared Rotor Systems,” Ph.D. Dissertation, The Ohio State University, 2000.
- Wang, H. , “Hypoid Gear Mesh Simulation and Dynamics,” Ph.D. Dissertation, The University of Alabama, 2002.
- Jiang, X. , “Non-Linear Torsional Dynamic Analysis of Hypoid Gear Pairs,” Ph.D. Dissertation, The University of Alabama, 2002.
- Wang, J. , “Nonlinear Time-Varying Gear Mesh and Dynamic Analysis of Hypoid and Bevel Geared Rotor Systems,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Cincinnati, 2007.
- Peng, T. , “Coupled Multi-Body Dynamic and Vibration Analysis of Hypoid and Bevel Geared Rotor System,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Cincinnati, 2010.
- Peng, T. and Lim, T.C. , “Coupled Multi-Body Dynamic and Vibration Analysis of High-Speed Spiral Bevel Geared Rotor System,” in Proc. SAE Noise and Vibration Conf. and Exposition, St. Charles, II, 2007.
- Peng, T. and Lim, T.C. , “Effects of Assembly Errors on Spiral Bevel Gear Mesh Characteristics and Dynamic Response,” in Proc. JSME Int. Conf. Motion and Power Transmissions, Sendai, Japan, 2009.
- Peng, T. and Lim, T.C. , “Influence of Gyroscopic Effect on Spiral Bevel and Bevel Geared System Dynamics,” SAE Int. J. Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems 2(1):1377-1386, 2009.
- Hua, X., Lim, T.C., Peng, T., and Wali, W.E. , “Dynamic Analysis of Spiral Bevel Geared Rotor Systems Applying Finite Elements and Enhanced Lumped Parameters,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 13(1):97-107, 2012.
- Lim, T.C. and Singh, R. , “Vibration Transmission through Rolling Element Bearings. Part I: Bearing Stiffness Formulation,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 139(2):179-199, 1990.
- Lim, T.C. and Singh, R. , “Vibration Transmission through Rolling Element Bearings. Part II: System Studies,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 139(2):201-225, 1990.
- Engineering ToolBox, [online] available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com, 2001.