This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of operation temperature on exhaust emissions in a spark ignition system using pre-chamber stratified system
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Atmospheric pollution is the major public health issue in many cities around the world. Internal combustion engines (ICE) and industries are common sources of pollutants that aggravate this situation. Aiming to overcome this problem, increasingly restrictive legislation on combustion pollutant emissions has been formulated and new technologies are being developed to ensure compliance with such restrictions. In this scenario, the lean mixtures appear as a possible alternative, but also bring some inconveniences such as combustion instabilities. Pre-chamber ignition systems (PCIS) enable a more stable combustion process due to high kinetic, thermal and chemical energy of the gases from the pre-chamber (PC), which pass through nozzles and begin the combustion process of the air-fuel mixture contained in the main combustion chamber (MC). However, some challenges still have to be overcome in the development of these systems, one of the main ones being hydrocarbon (HC) emissions. Therefore, the main goal of this investigation is to evaluate the effect of operating temperature on the pollutants emissions from an ICE with stratified pre-chamber ignition system (SPCIS) and to verify specifically the possibility of HC emissions reduction by raising the operating temperature. So, an ICE equipped with a SPCIS, operating with indirect injection of ethanol in the MC and direct injection of hydrogen in the PC, was tested under lean conditions of λ = 1.4, at 2250 rpm and indicated mean effective pressure of 5 bar. With the increase in the operating temperature of the ICE from 70 °C to 100 °C, were observed emission reductions in percentage volume of 42.4% for HC and 20.4% for CO, while NOx emissions increased in 33.7%. These results allow to conclude that the increase in operating temperature is a viable alternative to achieve lower HC emission with PCIS.
- Carlos Eduardo Castilla Alvarez - Universidade Federal de Lavras
- Marcelo Augusto Maia Pires - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Vinícius Rückert Roso - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Vinícius Faria Duarte - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Nathália Duarte Souza Alvarenga Santos - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Ramón Molina Valle - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
CitationMaia Pires, M., Roso, V., Castilla Alvarez, C., Duarte, V. et al., "Effects of operation temperature on exhaust emissions in a spark ignition system using pre-chamber stratified system," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0130, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0130.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Arapatsakos , C. , Karkanis , A. , & Strofylla , S. M. 2012 The effect of temperature on gas emissions International Journal of Research and Reviews in Applied Sciences 11 1
- MOREIRA , T. 2009 Projeto e Construçao de um Sistema de Igniçao por Lança Chamas com carga estratificada para Motor do Ciclo Otto. Belo Horizonte Masters degree Escola de Engenharia Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- El-Mahallawy , F. , & Habik , S. D. 2002 Fundamentals and technology of combustion Elsevier
- Grammelis , P. 2016 Energy, Transportation and Global Warming Springer
- IPCC 2015
- European Commission 2006
- IBAMA 2011 a
- Toulson , E. 2008
- Ricardo , H. R. 1918
- Roso , V. R. , Santos , N. D. S. A. , Alvarez , C. E. C. , Rodrigues Filho , F. A. , Pujatti , F. J. P. , & Valle , R. M. 2019 Effects of mixture enleanment in combustion and emission parameters using a flex-fuel engine with ethanol and gasoline Applied Thermal Engineering 153 463 472
- Alvarez , C. E. C. , Couto , G. E. , Roso , V. R. , Thiriet , A. B. , & Valle , R. M. 2018 A review of prechamber ignition systems as lean combustion technology for SI engines Applied Thermal Engineering 128 107 120
- Rodrigues Filho , F. A. , Baêta , J. G. C. , Teixeira , A. F. , Valle , R. M. , & de Souza , J. L. F. 2016 E25 stratified torch ignition engine emissions and combustion analysis Energy Conversion and Management 121 251 271 .
- Moreira , T. A. A. 2014 .
- Rodrigues Filho , F. A. 2014 .
- Alvarez , C. E. C. 2018 .
- Kim , H. I. , Shon , J. , & Lee , K. 2013 A study of fuel economy and exhaust emission according to engine coolant and oil temperature Journal of Thermal Science and Technology 8 1 255 268
- Alvarez , C. E. C. , et al. 2018
- Roso , V. R. , Alvarez , C. E. C. , Santos , N. D. S. A. , Baeta , J. G. C. , & Valle , R. M. 2018 Combustion influence of a prechamber ignition system in a SI commercial engine (No. 2018-36-0115 ). SAE Technical Paper
- Alvarez , C. E. C. , Roso , V. R. , Santos , N. D. S. A. , Fernandes , A. T. , & Valle , R. M. 2018 Combustion analysis in a SI engine with homogeneous and stratified pre-chamber system (No. 2018-36-0112 ). SAE Technical Paper
- Santos , N. D. S. A. , Alvarez , C. E. C. , Roso , V. R. , Baeta , J. G. C. , & Valle , R. M. 2019 Combustion analysis of a SI engine with stratified and homogeneous pre-chamber ignition system using ethanol and hydrogen Applied Thermal Engineering 113985
- Abdelghaffar , W. A. , Osman , M. M. , Saeed , M. N. , & Abdelfatteh , A. I. 2002 Effects of coolant temperature on the performance and emissions of a diesel engine ASME 2002 Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference 187 197 .
- Podevin , P. , Clenci , A. , & Descombes , G. 2011 Influence of the lubricating oil pressure and temperature on the performance at low speeds of a centrifugal compressor for an automotive engine Applied Thermal Engineering 31 2-3 194 201