This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Thermal Barrier Coating on Performance and Emissions of a DI Diesel Engine
Published January 24, 2020 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Recycling is an attractive solution to problems associated with the disposal of industrial and municipal wastes that are significantly available worldwide. Plastic in different forms is used in many applications day-to-day life. Some plastics can be converted into fuel or energy by thermal and catalytic degradation of plastic waste through pyrolysis processes. The oil obtained from pyrolysis of waste plastic can be used as an alternative fuel for CI engines. Most of the cases, it is reported by many researchers that the engine performance of a CI engine would be inferior when it is run on plastic pyrolysis oil (PPO) or its diesel blends than the diesel-fueled diesel engine operation. Reducing heat loss from engine components may improve the thermal efficiency and reduce fuel consumption of a CI engine. The heat loss can be reduced in CI engines by introducing thermal barrier coating (TBC). In this investigation, the effect of TBC on the performance and emissions of a CI engine run on PPO and its diesel blends was studied. For the investigation, a single cylinder, four stroke, air cooled, direct injection (DI) diesel engine developing a power of 4.4kW at a rated speed of 1500rpm was used. The PPO obtained from a pyrolysis plant was blended with diesel at four different percentages. The blends were denoted as PPO10, PPO20, PPO30 and PPO40, and the blends were used as test fuels in the test engine. The numeric value followed after PPO suggests the percentage of PPO in the blend. An optimum blend was chosen based on the performance and emission parameters alongside diesel operation of the same engine. Further, the piston of the test engine was coated with YSZ and YSZ+CeO2 separately and the experiments were conducted. The obtained performance and emission parameters of the coated engine fueled with an optimum PPO blend were compared with those of the diesel operation and presented in this paper.
- Yogeshwar Paik - Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of
- Chinmaya Ranjan Sahu - Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of
- Krishna Kumar Pandey - Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of
- Saroj Kumar Barik - Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of
- S. Murugan - Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of
- Debidutta Debasish - CSIR- Institute of Minerals and Materials Technology, Bhuban
CitationPaik, Y., Sahu, C., Pandey, K., Barik, S. et al., "Effect of Thermal Barrier Coating on Performance and Emissions of a DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-0526, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Kalargaris, I., Guohong T., and Sai, Gu. , "Combustion, performance and emission analysis of a DI diesel engine using plastic pyrolysis oil," Fuel Processing Technology (2017), doi:10.1016/j.fuproc.2016.11.016.
- Sharuddin, S., Dayana A., Faisal A., Aroua, M.K. et al. , "A Review on Pyrolysis of Plastic Wastes," Energy Conversion and Management115 (2016) : 308-26. doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2016.02.037.
- Kumar, S., Gupta, R., Murugan, S., and Singh, R.K. , "Performance and emission analysis of blends of waste plastic oil obtained by catalytic pyrolysis of waste HDPE with diesel in a CI engine," Energy Conversion and Management 74 (2013), 323-331. doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2013.05.028.
- Hejwowski, T., and Weronski, A. , "The effect of thermal barrier coatings on diesel engine performance," Vacuum 65, no. 3-4 (2002), 427-432. doi:10.1016/s0042-207x(01)00452-3.
- Thiruselvam, K. , “Thermal Barrier Coatings in Internal Combustion Engines,” Department of Mechanical Engineering, Panimalar Engineering Collage, Chennai, India. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. ISSN:0974-2115.
- Nileshkumar ., Kagdi D., Jani, R.J., Rathod, G., et al., "Effect of Blend Ratio of Plastic Pyrolysis Oil and Diesel Fuel on the Performance of Single Cylinder CI Engine," International Journal of Science Technology & Engineering 1, no. 11 (May 2015), 9. www.ijste.org.
- Sharuddin, S., Abnisa, F., Daud, W.M.A.W., Aroua, M.K.. et al. , “Pyrolysis of Plastic Waste for Liquid Fuel Production as Prospective Energy Resource,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 334: 012001, doi:10.1088/1757-899x/334/1/012001.
- Bridgwater, A.V. , “Review of Fast Pyrolysis of Biomass and Product Upgrading,” Biomass and Bioenergy38:6894, doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2011.01.048.
- Onwudili, J., Insura, N., and Williams, P. , "Composition of products from the pyrolysis of polyethylene and polystyrene in a closed batch reactor: Effects of temperature and residence time," Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis 86, no. 2 (2009), doi:10.1016/j.jaap.2009.07.008.
- Liu, Y., Qian, J., and Wang, J. , "Pyrolysis of polystyrene waste in a fluidized-bed reactor to obtain styrene monomer and gasoline fraction," Fuel Processing Technology63, no. 1 (2000), 45-55. doi:10.1016/s0378-3820(99)00066-1.
- Demirbas, A. , "Pyrolysis of municipal plastic wastes for recovery of gasoline-range hydrocarbons," Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis 72, no. 1 (2004), 97-102, doi:10.1016/j.jaap.2004.03.001.
- Czajczynska, D., Anguilano, L., Ghazal, H., Krzyzynska, R., Reynolds, A.J., Spencer, N. and Jouhara, H., et al. , "Potential of pyrolysis processes in the waste management sector." Thermal Science and Engineering Progress 3 (2017), pp.171-197, doi:10.1016/j.tsep.2017.06.003.
- Çepeliogullar, O., and Pütün, A. , "Thermal and kinetic behaviors of biomass and plastic wastes in copyrolysis," ICOEST Cappadocia 75 (2013), 1-13. doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2013.06.036.
- Sarker, M., Kabir, A., Rashid, M., Molla, M., et al. , "Waste Polyethylene Terephthalate (PETE-1) Conversion into Liquid Fuel," Journal of Fundamentals of Renewable Energy and Applications 1 (2011), 1-5. doi:10.4303/jfrea/r101202.
- Ahmad, I., Khan, M., Khan, H., Ishaq, M., et al. , "Pyrolysis Study of Polypropylene and Polyethylene Into Premium Oil Products," International Journal of Green Energy 12, no. 7 (2014), 663-671. doi:10.1080/15435075.2014.880146.
- Jan, M., Shah, J., Gulab H. , "Catalytic degradation of waste high-density polyethylene into fuel products using BaCO3 as a catalyst," Discovery 23 (2014), 748. doi:10.1016/j.fuproc.2010.05.017.
- Desai, S. B. and Galage, C.K. , "Production and analysis of pyrolysis oil from waste plastic in Kolhapur city," International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science 3, no. 1 (2015): 590-595.
- Pinto, F., Costa, P., Gulyurtlu, I., and Cabrita, I. , "Pyrolysis of plastic wastes. 1. Effect of plastic waste composition on product yield," Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis 51, no. 1-2 (1999), 39-55. doi:10.1016/s0165-2370(99)00007-8.
- Blazsó, Marianne ., "Composition of Liquid Fuels Derived from the Pyrolysis of Plastics," Feedstock Recycling and Pyrolysis of Waste Plastics, 2006, 315-342. doi:10.1002/0470021543.ch12.
- "Manufacturer of Petroleum Products & Petrochemicals by Goverdhan Energy & Petrochemical Private Limited, Nagpur." IndiaMART.com. Accessed July 28, 2019. https://www.indiamart.com/goverdhan-energy-petrochemical/.
- Barnwal ., Shubham., and Bissa, C., "Thermal Barrier Coating System and Different Processes to apply them-A Review," Home - IJIRSET::HIGH IMPACT FACTOR JOURNAL: 7.089: UGC Approved Journal. Last modified September 9, 2015. http://www.ijirset.com/upload/2015/september/72_14 _Thermal.pdf.
- Gupta, M. , "Design of Thermal Barrier Coatings," Springer Briefs in Materials, 2015. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-17254-5.
- Sodeoka, S., Suzuki, M., Ueno, K., Sakuramoto, H., et al. , "Thermal and mechanical properties of ZrO2-CeO2 plasma-sprayed coatings," Journal of Thermal Spray Technology 6, no. 3 (1997), 361-367. doi:10.1007/s11666-997-0071-z.
- Heintze, G.N. and McPherson, R. , "Fracture toughness of plasma-sprayed zirconia coatings," Surface and Coatings Technology 34, no. 1 (1988), 15-23. doi:10.1016/0257-8972(88)90084-9.
- Lee, C. H., Kim, H. K., Choi, H. S., and Ahn, H. S. , "Phase transformation and bond coat oxidation behavior of plasma-sprayed zirconia thermal barrier coating," Surface and Coatings Technology 124, no. 1 (2000), 1-12. doi:10.1016/s0257-8972(99)00517-4.
- Thornton, John ., Amit, Majumdar., and Grant, McAdam., "Enhanced cerium migration in ceria-stabilised zirconia," Surface and Coatings Technology 94-95 (1997), 112-117. doi:10.1016/s0257-8972(97)00487-8.
- Peraudeau, G., Sibieude, F., Priem, T., Rigal, E. et al. , "Chemical and Structural Characterisation of Quenched Ceria (Yttria) Stabilised Zirconia or Hafnia Ceramics for Plasma Coatings," pp. 507-512 in The 14th International Thermal Spray Conference: Thermal Spray-Current Status and Future Trends (Kobe Japan, May 1995). Edited by A. Ohmori. High Temperature Society of Japan, Osaka, 1995
- DIN EN ISO 14917:2017-08 , “Thermal spraying - Definitions, classification,” ISO_14917:2017, doi:10.31030/2588876.
- Kaimal, V. K., and Vijayabalan, P. (2015). “A detailed study of combustion characteristics of a DI diesel engine using waste plastic oil and its blends,” Energy Conversion and Management, 105, 951-956. doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2015.08.043.
- Kalargaris, I., Tian, G., and Gu, S. , (2017). “Experimental evaluation of a diesel engine fuelled by pyrolysis oils produced from low-density polyethylene and ethylene-vinyl acetate plastics,” Fuel Processing Technology, 161, 125131. doi:10.1016/j.fuproc.2017.03.014.
- Ganesan, V. , Internal Combustion Engines. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2012.
- Heywood, J. B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill Inc. 1988.
- Greeves, G., Khan, I., Wang, C., Fenne, I. , “Origins of hydrocarbons emissions from diesel engines,” SAE Tech. Pap. (770259). (1977)
- Mendez, S., Kashdan, J., Bruneaux, G., Thirouard B., et al. , “Formation of unburned hydrocarbons in low temperature diesel combustion,” SAE Tech. Pap. (2009-01-2729). (2009).
- Morel, T., Keribar, R., Blumberg, P., and Fort, E. , “Examination of Key Issues in Low Heat Rejection Engines,” SAE Technical Paper Series. doi:10.4271/860316.
- Azadi, M., Farrahi, G., and Moridi, A. , “Optimization of Air Plasma Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coating Parameters in Diesel Engine Applications,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 22(11), 3530-3538. doi:10.1007/s11665-013-0629-5.
- Sivakumar, G., and Kumar, S. , “Investigation on effect of Yttria Stabilized Zirconia coated piston crown on performance and emission characteristics of a Diesel Engine,” Alexandria Engineering Journal, 53(4),787-794. doi:10.1016/j.aej.2014.08.003.
- Martynov, S., Kazachenok, M., Shugurov, R., Kasterov, A., et al. , “Enhancement of thermal cycling resistance of EB-PVD YSZ and CeO2 thermal barrier coatings by deposition of a Ni-Al bond coat,” doi:10.1063/1.5084400.
- Cerit, M., Ayhan, V., Parlak, A., and Yasar, H. , "Thermal Analysis of a Partially Ceramic Coated Piston: Effect on Cold Start HC Emission in a Spark Ignition Engine," Applied Thermal Engineering 31, no.23(2011):33641. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2010.09.015.