This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Simulation on Turbulent Forced Convection of Copper Oxide (CuO) -Water Nanofluids in a Horizontal Circular Pipe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The present study provides a detailed investigation on simulation of Copper oxide nanofluids in a simple horizontal circular pipe considering turbulent forced convection, with a constant heat flux boundary condition. The simulation is carried out using three different models available in fluent viz. Newtonian single phase model, Eulerian-mixture and Eulerian-Eulerian multiphase models. The Reynold number of the flow is varied along with volume concentration of nanoparticles varying form low to high. Nanofluids rheology is studied by considering standard k-ε two equation turbulence model with enhanced wall treatment considering appropriate wall y+ values. The effective temperature dependent thermo-physical properties for nanofluids were seized from the literatures. The results from the simulation clearly showed an increase in the heat transfer characteristics with the addition of nanoparticles compared to that of base fluid alone. Eulerian-Mixture model predicted the Nusselt number near to that of the experimental results from literature.
CitationDewangan, N. and Kattula, N., "CFD Simulation on Turbulent Forced Convection of Copper Oxide (CuO) -Water Nanofluids in a Horizontal Circular Pipe," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0131, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0131.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Choi, S.U.S. and Eastman, J.A. , “Enhancing Thermal Conductivity of Fluids with Nanoparticles,” ASME Int. Mech. Eng. Congr. Expo. 66:99-105, March 1995.
- Maxwell, J.C. , A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism (Oxford Clarendon Press, 1873), 360-366.
- Hamilton, R.L. , “Thermal Conductivity of Heterogeneous Two-Component Systems,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Fundam. 1(3):187-191, 1962.
- Pak, B.C. and Cho, Y.I. , “Hydrodynamic and Heat Transfer Study of Dispersed Fluids with Submicron Metallic Oxide Particles,” Exp. Heat Transf. 11(2):151-170, 1998.
- Xuan, Y. and Li, Q. , “Investigation on Convective Heat Transfer and Flow Features of Nanofluids,” J. Heat Transfer 125(1):151, 2003.
- Suresh, S., Venkitaraj, K.P., Selvakumar, P., and Chandrasekar, M. , “A Comparison of Thermal Characteristics of Al2O3/Water and CuO/Water Nanofluids in Transition Flow through a Straight Circular Duct Fitted with Helical Screw Tape Inserts,” Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci. 39:37-44, 2012.
- Mahdavi, M., Sharifpur, M., and Meyer, J.P. , “CFD Modelling of Heat Transfer and Pressure Drops for Nanofluids through Vertical Tubes in Laminar Flow by Lagrangian and Eulerian Approaches,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 88:803-813, 2015.
- Behroyan, I., Ganesan, P., He, S., and Sivasankaran, S. , “Turbulent Forced Convection of Cu-Water Nanofluid: CFD Model Comparison,” Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transf. 67:163-172, 2015.
- Lotfi, R., Saboohi, Y., and Rashidi, A.M. , “Numerical Study of Forced Convective Heat Transfer of Nanofluids: Comparison of Different Approaches,” Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transf. 37(1):74-78, 2010.
- Dittus, F.W. and Boelter, L.M.K. , “Heat Transfer in Automobile Radiators of the Tubular Type,” Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transf. 12(1):3-22, 1985.
- ANSYS Inc , “ANSYS Fluent Theory Guide,” ANSYS Inc., USA, vol. 15317, 724-746, August 2016.
- Tsai, T.-H. and Chein, R. , “Performance Analysis of Nanofluid-Cooled Microchannel Heat Sinks,” Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow 28(5):1013-1026, 2007.
- Patel, H.E., Sundararajan, T., Pradeep, T., Dasgupta, A. et al. , “A Micro-Convection Model for Thermal Conductivity of Nanofluids,” Pramana - J. Phys. 65(5):863-869, 2005.
- Manninen, M., Taivassalo, V., and Kallio, S. , On the Mixture Model for Multiphase Flow (Vtt Publ, 1996), 1-67.
- Akbari, O.A., Toghraie, D., and Karimipour, A. , “Numerical Simulation of Heat Transfer and Turbulent Flow of Water Nanofluids Copper Oxide in Rectangular Microchannel with Semi-Attached Rib,” Adv. Mech. Eng. 8(4):1-25, 2016.
- Schiller, L. and Naumann, Z. , “A Drag Coefficient Correlation,” Z. Ver. Deutsch. Ing 77(13-14):318-320, 1933.
- Kuipers, J.A.M., Prins, W., and Van Swaaij, W.P.M. , “Numerical Calculation of Wall-to-Bed Heat-Transfer Coefficients in Gas-Fluidized Beds,” AIChE J. 38(7):1079-1091, 1992.
- Ranz, W.E. and Marshall, W.R. , “Evaporation from Drops. Parts I & II,” Chem. Eng. Progr 48(22):141-173, 1952.