This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
To Study the Influence of Variation in Camber and Toe on Handling of Passenger Vehicle during Cornering
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Study of Vehicle dynamics has always been the essential area for automotive industries. The vehicle performance, handling and ride comfort are realized because of at most care and the effort that has gone into design and assembly of components and subsystems. Steering and suspension system takes its due importance as it provides the driver not only to give the necessary input for the vehicle motion but also for its directional control and stability. Hence, this subsystem needs to be optimized in order to obtain good handling and ride control of the vehicle. The wheel alignment is the key requirement for the vehicle that depends on steering axis inclination, scrub radius, camber, castor and toe angles, out of which toe and camber are easily adjustable time to time. For frequent cornering events these parameters can’t remain same. Camber plays important role in deciding cornering force during maneuver, on straight roads it doesn’t affect much but on frequent cornering event it must be adjusted such that it should give good handling characteristics. Multi-body dynamic model of a sedan car is built in ADAMS Car software with different subsystems. This assembly of car is simulated for different recognized handling tests like, constant speed cornering, acceleration during cornering and braking during cornering. Thus, it is understood that the dynamic behavior of a passenger car is influenced by these design parameters of steering and suspension geometry. The present work predicts, the most suitable combination of the integral geometry of the steering system for different camber angle and toe angle and their optimized values to give the better handling and stability for the vehicle during different cornering conditions.
CitationBhosale, D., Rahate, S., Rege, K., and Palanivelu, S., "To Study the Influence of Variation in Camber and Toe on Handling of Passenger Vehicle during Cornering," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0073, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0073.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Harikrishna , T. , Murali , P. , and Mufti , M.
- Laghari , N. Simulation Analysis of the Effect of Tire and Suspension Non-Linearities on the Handling Response of Rigid and Articulated Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0962 2015 10.4271/2011-01-0962
- Pei Lu , X. et al. Effect of Tire Camber on Vehicle Dynamics Simulation for Extreme Cornering Vehicle System Dynamics 44 39 49 2006
- Guo , K. et al. The UniTire Model: A Nonlinear and Nonsteady-State Tyre Model for Vehicle Dynamics Simulation Vehicle System Dynamics 43 341 358 2005
- Tateishi , Y. , Yoshimori , K. , Koide , M. , and Yamada , K. The Effects of the Tire Camber Angle on Vehicle Controllability and Stability SAE Technical Paper 860245 1986 10.4271/860245
- Genta , G. Motor Vehicle Dynamics - Modeling and Simulation Second World Scientific 1997 978-9810229115
- Yoshino , T. and Nozaki , H. About the Effect of Camber Control on Vehicle Dynamics SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2383 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2383.
- Ravikanth , G.S.G. , Gangi Reddy , D. , Tushar , R. , Gawade , K.V. et al. Parametric Study of Three - Wheeler Directional Stability Using MBD Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0102 2012
- Govender , V. and Barton , D.C. Multibody System Simulation and Optimisation of the Driving Dynamics of a Formula SAE Race Car SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0454 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0454
- Woodruff , A. , Surgenor , B. , and Knobel , C. Comparison of Methods to Improve Camber Using a Modelica/Dymola Multi-Body Model SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0837 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0837
- Park , S.-J. and Sohn , J.-H. Effects of Camber Angle Control of Front Suspension on Vehicle Dynamic Behaviors Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 10.1007/s12206-011-1206-1
- Rajvardhan , R.P. , Shankapal , S.R. , and Vijaykumar , S.M.
- Essma , S. Steering Effort Analysis of an Oval Racing Track Setup Champ Car International ADAMS User Conference 2002
- Oh , S.-H. , Cho , Y.-H. , and Gim , G. Identification of a Vehicle Pull Mechanism FISITA World Automotive Congress 2004