This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Lean Burn Pre-Chamber Concept in a Heavy Duty Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Due to stringent emission standards, the demand for higher efficiency engines has been unprecedentedly high in recent years. Among several existing combustion modes, pre-chamber spark ignition (PCSI) emerges to be a potential candidate for high-efficiency engines. Research on the pre-chamber concept exhibit higher indicated efficiency through lean limit extension while maintaining the combustion stability. In this study, a unique pre-chamber geometry was tested in a single-cylinder heavy-duty engine at low load lean conditions. The geometry features a narrow throat, which was designed to be packaged inside a commercial diesel injector pocket. The pre-chamber was fueled with methane while the main chamber was supplied with an ethanol/air mixture. The ‘avalanche activated combustion’ or L.A.G. process was explored which relies on enriched pre-chamber combustion to generate radicals which, upon being discharged into the main combustion chamber, will trigger ignition sites distributed in the combustion chamber, thus achieving fast combustion. The ability of PCSI concept to enhance the lean limit with progressive enrichment in the pre-chamber was demonstrated. In addition, passive pre-chamber concept, where no additional fuel was injected into pre-chambers, was also explored and compared against the fueled pre-chamber experiments. The processed data features fast combustion rates with high combustion stability with the evident extension of the lean combustion limit. The engine-out emissions, measured by the exhaust gas analyzer, were reported together with the combustion data.
- Ponnya Hlaing - King Abdullah Univ of Science & Tech
- Manuel Echeverri Marquez - King Abdullah Univ of Science & Tech
- Vijai Shankar Bhavani Shankar - King Abdullah Univ of Science & Tech
- Emre Cenker - Saudi Aramco
- Moez Ben Houidi - King Abdullah Univ of Science & Tech
- Bengt Johansson - King Abdullah Univ of Science & Tech
CitationHlaing, P., Echeverri Marquez, M., Bhavani Shankar, V., Cenker, E. et al., "A Study of Lean Burn Pre-Chamber Concept in a Heavy Duty Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0107, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0107.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Zabetakis, M.G. , “Flammability Characteristics,”. In: Flammability Characteristics of Combustible Gases and Vapors. (1965), 20-27.
- Biswas, S. , “Physics of Turbulent Jet Ignition Sayan Biswas Mechanisms and Dynamics of Ultra-Lean Combustion,” 2018.
- Toulson, E., Schock, H.J., and Attard, W.P. , “A Review of Pre-Chamber Initiated Jet Ignition Combustion Systems,” 2010.
- Oppenheim, A.K. , “Prospects for Combustion in Piston Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0999 , 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0999.
- Yamaguchi, S., Ohiwa, N., and Hasegawa, T. , “Ignition and Burning Process in a Divided Chamber Bomb,” Combustion and Flame 59:177-187, 1985.
- Attard, W., Fraser, N., Parsons, P., and Toulson, E.A. , “A Turbulent Jet Ignition Pre-Chamber Combustion System for Large Fuel Economy Improvements in a Modern Vehicle Powertrain,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(2):20-37, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1457.
- Gentz, G.R. and Toulson, E. , “Experimental Studies of a Liquid Propane Auxiliary Fueled Turbulent Jet Igniter in a Rapid Compression Machine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):777-785, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0708.
- Gentz, G.R., Gholamisheeri, M., and Toulson, E. , “A Study of a Turbulent Jet Ignition System Fueled with ISO-Octane: Pressure Trace Analysis and Combustion Visualization,” Applied Energy 189:385-394, 2017.
- Shah, A., Tunestal, P., and Johansson, B. , “Investigation of Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Heavy Duty Natural Gas Engine Operated with Pre-Chamber Spark Plug and Dilution with Excess Air and EGR,” SAE Int. J. Engines 5(4):1790-1801, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1980.
- Shah, A., Tunestål, P., and Johansson, B. , “CFD Simulations of Pre-Chamber Jets' Mixing Characteristics in a Heavy Duty Natural Gas Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1890 , 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1890.
- Shah, A., Tunestal, P., and Johansson, B. , “Effect of Pre-Chamber Volume and Nozzle Diameter on Pre-Chamber Ignition in Heavy Duty Natural Gas Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0867 , 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0867.
- Shah, A., Tunestal, P., and Johansson, B. , “Scalability Aspects of Pre-Chamber Ignition in Heavy Duty Natural Gas Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0796 , 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0796.
- Sun, S., Ma, Y., Cui, L., Ma, X., and Shuai, S.-J. , “Effect of Single and Double-Deck Pre-Chamber Designs to the Combustion Characteristics of Premixed CH4 /Air,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1688 , 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1688.
- Bardis, K., Xu, G., Kyrtatos, P., Wright, Y.M., and Boulouchos, K. , “A Zero Dimensional Turbulence and Heat Transfer Phenomenological Model for Pre-Chamber Gas Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1453 , 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1453.
- Xu, G., Wright, Y.M., Schiliro, M., and Boulouchos, K. , “Characterization of Combustion in a Gas Engine Ignited Using a Small Un-Scavenged Pre-Chamber,” 2018.
- Thelen, B.C. and Toulson, E. , “A Computational Study of the Effects of Spark Location on the Performance of a Turbulent Jet Ignition System,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0608 , 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0608.
- Gholamisheeri, M., Thelen, B.C., Gentz, G.R., Wichman, I. S., and Toulson, E. , “Rapid Compression Machine Study of a Premixed, Variable Inlet Density and Flow Rate, Confined Turbulent Jet,” Combustion and Flame 169:321-332, 2016.
- Gholamisheeri, M., Wichman, I.S., and Toulson, E. , “A study of the Turbulent Jet Flow Field in a Methane Fueled Turbulent Jet Ignition (TJI) System,” Combustion and Flame 183:194-206, 2017.
- Gussak, L.A., Karpov, V.P., and Tikhonov, Y.V. , “The Application of Lag-Process in Prechamber Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 790692 , 1979, doi:10.4271/790692.
- Andersson, Ö. et al. , “High Speed Combustion Imaging in a Large Bore Gas Engine: The Relationship between Pre- and Main Chamber Heat Release,” In Volume 8A: Heat Transfer and Thermal Engineering, V08AT09A022, ASME 2014.
- Heywood, J.B. , “Internal Combustion Engine Fundementals,” 1998.
- Woschni, G. , “A Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 670931 , 1967, doi:10.4271/670931.
- Gussak, L.A. , “The Role of Chemical Activity and Turbulence Intensity in Prechamber-Torch Organization of Combustion of a Stationary Flow of a Fuel-Air Mixture,” SAE Technical Paper 830592 , 1983, doi:10.4271/830592.
- Shah, A. , “Improving the Efficiency of Gas Engines Using Pre-Chamber Ignition,” Ph.D. Thesis, 2015.