This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Scavenging Phenomena Based Post-oxidation in Exhaust Manifold of a Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this research, a novel methodology for the post-oxidation in a turbocharged spark ignition (SI) engine is proposed and investigated that can improve the emissions along with the reduction in turbo-lag. In this research, both simulation and experimental activities are performed.
The 1-D simulation model was used for the identification of efficient scavenging. Thereafter, experimental validation tests for modeling and post oxidation were conducted on a 4-cylinder turbocharged SI engine. From the results, it was revealed that efficient scavenging and post-oxidation can be obtained at lower speed and higher load. The enthalpy in exhaust manifold increased due to the post-oxidation reaction which in turn increased the temperature and pressure of the exhaust gases and hence emissions reduced. Also, due to the increased enthalpy at turbine upstream, the turbocharger speed increased and as a consequence, reduction in the turbo-lag was observed. It was also noted that the post-oxidation is limited at higher load and overlap in an inline 4-cylinder engine due to the strong scavenging which increased the cooling effect in in-cylinder and exhaust manifold due to excess air.
CitationKumar, M., Kuboyama, T., Hasegawa, N., and Moriyoshi, Y., "Scavenging Phenomena Based Post-oxidation in Exhaust Manifold of a Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2197, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2197.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
- Gulde, D.; Busse, H. ; Elf Autos im Abgas-Check; NOx, Feinstaub, CO2 im Real-Fahr-Test; https://www.auto-motorund-sport.de/testbericht/nox-partikel-co2-11-autos-im-realfahr-test-706486.html, Auto Motor und Sport; 21.07.2017
- Heywood J. B.; , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, Inc., USA, 1988, ISBN 978-0070286375
- Feng, D., Wei, H., & Pan, M. Comparative study on combined effects of cooled EGR with intake boosting and variable compression ratios on combustion and emissions improvement in a SI engine. Applied Thermal Engineering, 131, 192-200, 2018.
- Madan Kumar, Tielong Shen , Cyclic model based generalized predictive control of air-fuel ratio for gasoline engines, Journal of Thermal Science and Technology, Vol. 11, No. 1, 2016.
- Madan Kumar, Tielong Shen , Estimation and feedback control of air-fuel ratio for gasoline engines, Control Theory Tech., Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 89-98, May 2015.
- Bandel, W., Fraidl, G. K., Kapus, P. E., Sikinger, H., & Cowland, C. N. The turbocharged GDI engine: boosted synergies for high fuel economy plus ultra-low emission. SAE Technical Paper (No. 2006-01-1266), 2006.
- Park, Shinrak, Takaki Matsumoto, and Nobuyuki Oda . Numerical analysis of turbocharger response delay mechanism. SAE Technical Paper (No. 2010-01-1226), 2010.
- Fleiss, M., Burenius, R., Almkvist, G., & Björkholtz, J. The Pneumatic Turbocharger Support System Power Pulse. MTZ worldwide, June 2016.
- Steinparzer, F., Nefischer, P., Hiemesch, D., & Rechberger, E. Die neue BMW Sechszylinder-Spitzenmotorisierung mit innovativem Aufladekonzept. MTZ, S. 42-50, October 2016.
- Serrano, D., Lave, J., Kleemann, A., & Zinola, S. Post Oxidation Study During Secondary Exhaust Air Injection for Fast Catalyst Light-Off. SAE Technical Paper (No. 2009-01-2706), 2009.
- Koehlen, C., Holder, E., & Vent, G. Investigation of Post Oxidation and Its Dependency on Engine Combustion and Exhaust Manifold Design. SAE Technical Paper (No. 2002-01-0744), 2002.
- Borland, M., & Zhao, F. Application of secondary air injection for simultaneously reducing converter-in emissions and improving catalyst light-off performance. SAE Technical Paper (No. 2002-01-2803), 2002.
- Collier, T., Burgess, C., Brogan, M., Campbell, B. Finch, A. & Reavell, K. Measurement of Gasoline Exhaust Hydrogen Emissions. SAE Technical Paper (No. 2004-01-0592), 2004.
- Heimrich. et al., On-board hydrogen generation for rapid catalyst light-off, SAE Technical Paper (No.2000-01-1841), 2000.
- Lee, D., & Heywood, J. B. Effects of secondary air injection during cold start of SI engines. SAE International Journal of Engines, 3(2), 182-196, 2010.
- Schmid, A.; Grill, M.; Berner, H. J.; Bargende, M. ; Transient simulation with scavenging in the turbo spark-ignition engine; MTZ worldwide 71.11 (2010): 10-15, 2010
- Guenther T., Grill M., Bargende M.A Simulative Study for Post Oxidation During Scavenging on Turbo Charged SI Engines, SAE Technical Paper (No. 2018-01-0853), 2018.
- Lueckert, P., Kreitmann, F., Rehberger, A., Bruchner, K., Schwendler, K., & Ottenbacher, H. Der neue 1,8-l-Vierzylinder-Ottomotor von Mercedes-Benz. Motortechnische Zeitschrift, 70, pp.454-462, 2009.
- Fandakov, A., Grill, M., Bargende, M., & Kulzer, A.C. Two-Stage Ignition Occurrence in the End Gas and Modeling Its Influence on Engine Knock. SAE Paper, 2017-24-0001, 2017.
- Engeljehringer, K., Fraidl, G., & Oswald, M. Real Driving Emissions and CO2. Rüsselsheim, Germany, 28 September 2016.