This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Orbital Forming of Automotive Wheel Bearings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Orbital forming is considered an optimal assembly process for many designs of automotive wheel bearing assemblies. More specifically, this process involves forming the spindle over the inner race of the wheel bearing to maximize surface area contact on the inner ring for retention, and to maintain bearing preload. The unique forming properties and precise controls allow orbital forming to produce an ideal finished retention feature and form for these types of bearings. This paper discusses the specific benefits of orbital forming of automotive wheel bearings. Forming basics, the physics behind the benefits of orbital forming, as well as pre-form lip geometry and other part design considerations are presented. Advanced machine control methodologies and historical machine process improvements are also reviewed concluding with next steps in process control and in-machine quality assurance.
CitationSponsler, J., "Orbital Forming of Automotive Wheel Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2133, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2133.
- Grayen, M. , “Wheel Bearings: Descriptions of Bearings, Races, Seals, and Hubs,” https://www.carid.com/articles/wheel-bearings.html, September 2014.
- Taylor, J. , “Wheel Bearing Tech From TRB to Gen I, Gen 2 and Gen 3,” https://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/97994/wheel-bearing-tech-from-trb-to-gen-i-gen-2-and-gen-3, June 2017.
- Joshi, D. and Pal Singh, A. , “Comparison of Hub Inner Shaft Design Options for Orbital Forming Process by Finite Element Method and Subsequently Effect on Preload co Generation-3 Wheel Hub Bearing,” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering 13(6) Ver. I:79-84, December, 2016.
- “Orbital Flaring,” https://www.orbitform.com/videos/?slug=videos-applications, 2019.
- What is a Wheel Hub Bearing and Why Is It Critical to Your Safety?”, https://www.skf.com/binary/12-147920/457280.pdf, 2012.
- “Wheel Bearings - Technology Development and Product Overview,” https://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedien/media/_shared_media/08_media_library/01_publications/automotiveaftermarket/brochure_1/download_4/saam_3/schaeffler-aftermarket-brochure-fag-radlager-en-7640.pdf, July 2017.