This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Local Weakening of Honeycomb Core for Improved Surface Quality and Bonding in Co-Cured Sandwich Panels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: AeroTech Europe
Sandwich panels made of Nomex honeycomb core and fiber reinforced face sheets are a major component of aircraft interior parts. A common way to locally increase the strength of such panels, e.g. for load introduction, is the local thickening of the face sheets with additional prepreg layers. Curing of strengthened panels without further processing of the core leads to higher flatness tolerances as well as residual stresses. Machining of the core in the strengthened areas is possible, but expensive due to high machine costs and additional cleaning processes. In this paper a new process for the reduction of the residual stresses in strengthened areas, as well as improved bonding between core and face sheets is presented. The process is based on local reduction of the compressive strength in the surface area of the honeycomb core, which allows for controlled, irreversible deformation at curing pressure. For the reduction of compressive strength, a concept based on a robot guided tool with multiple blades is presented. The process parameters impacting the compressive strength after weakening are derived based on a model based analysis. A testing tool was built, and a series of tests was performed, in order to quantify the impact and to select suitable parameters. It was found that the remaining compressive strength depends mainly on the cutting pattern, the blade distance and the cutting depth. A Further reduction of compressive strength was achieved by bending the remaining structures after the cutting process. In order to validate the process, surface flatness, as well as bonding strength between core and face sheets have been measured. In addition to the flat integration of a large amount of additional prepreg layers it has been found that the bonding strength increases up to 30% due to increased bonding surface of the honeycomb core.
CitationEschen, H. and Schüppstuhl, T., "Local Weakening of Honeycomb Core for Improved Surface Quality and Bonding in Co-Cured Sandwich Panels," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1859, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1859.
- Airbus S.A.S. , “Global Market Forecast 2018-2037.”
- Boeing, “Commercial Market Outlook 2018-2037.”
- Red, C , “Composites in Aircraft Interiors, 2012-2022,” https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/composites-in-aircraft-interiors-2012-2022, April 17, 2019.
- Eschen, H., Harnisch, M., and Schüppstuhl, T. , “Flexible and Automated Production of Sandwich Panels for Aircraft Interior,” Procedia Manufacturing 18:35-42, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.promfg.2018.11.005.
- Campbell, F.C. , “Manufacturing Technology for Aerospace Structural Materials,” Aerospace Engineering Materials Science, 1st ed. (Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2006), ISBN 9781856174954.
- Bitzer, T. , Honeycomb Technology: Materials, Design, Manufacturing, Applications and Testing (Dordrecht: Springer Netherlands, 1997). ISBN:978-94-011-5856-5.
- Black, S. , “Advanced Materials for Aircraft Interiors,” https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/advanced-materials-for-aircraft-interiors, April 17, 2019.
- Zenkert, D. (ed.), “The Handbook of Sandwich Construction,” in North European Engineering and Science Conference Series, Engineering Materials Advisory Services Ltd. (EMAS), Cradley Heath, West Midlands, 1997, ISBN 9780947817961.
- Song, K.-I., Choi, J.-Y., Kweon, J.-H., Choi, J.-H. et al. , “An Experimental Study of the Insert Joint Strength of Composite Sandwich Structures,” Composite Structures 86(1-3):107-113, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2008.03.027.
- Demelio, G., Genovese, K., and Pappalettere, C. , “An Experimental Investigation of Static and Fatigue Behaviour of Sandwich Composite Panels Joined by Fasteners,” Composites Part B: Engineering 32(4):299-308, 2001, doi:10.1016/S1359-8368(01)00007-5.
- Seemann, R. and Krause, D. , “Virtual Testing of Nomex Honeycomb Sandwich Panel Inserts,” in Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Composite Materials ICCM-20, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2015.
- Bjornsson, A., Lindback, J.-E., Eklund, D., and Jonsson, M. , “Low-Cost Automation for Prepreg Handling - Two Cases from the Aerospace Industry,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 9(1):68-74, 2016, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2606.
- Björnsson, A., Jonsson, M., and Johansen, K. , “Automated Material Handling in Composite Manufacturing Using Pick-and-Place Systems - A Review,” 51:222-229, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.rcim.2017.12.003.
- Elkington and Philip, M., “The Evolution and Automation of Sheet Prepreg Layup,” http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.682486, June 10, 2018.
- Newell, G.C. and Khodabandehloo, K. , “Modelling Flexible Sheets for Automatic Handling and Lay-Up of Composite Components,” http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1243/PIME_PROC_1995_209_106_02, June 10, 2018.
- Hu, X.P., Yu, B.H., Li, X.Y., and Chen, N.C. , “Research on Cutting Force Model of Triangular Blade for Ultrasonic Assisted Cutting Honeycomb Composites,” Procedia CIRP 66:159-163, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.procir.2017.03.283.
- Gibson, L.J. and Ashby, M.F. , “Cellular Solids: Structure and Properties,” Cambridge Solid State Science Series, 2nd ed. (Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 2001), ISBN 0521495601.
- Liu, L., Wang, H., and Guan, Z. , “Experimental and Numerical Study on the Mechanical Response of Nomex Honeycomb Core under Transverse Loading,” Composite Structures 121:304-314, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2014.11.034.
- Roy, R., Park, S.-J., Kweon, J.-H., and Choi, J.-H. , “Characterization of Nomex Honeycomb Core Constituent Material Mechanical Properties,” Composite Structures 117:255-266, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2014.06.033.
- Castanié, B., Aminanda, Y., Barrau, J.-J., and Thevenet, P. , “Discrete Modeling of the Crushing of Nomex Honeycomb Core and Application to Impact and Post-Impact Behavior of Sandwich Structures,” in: Abrate, S., Castanié, B., and Rajapakse, Y.D.S. (eds.), Dynamic Failure of Composite and Sandwich Structures, Solid Mechanics and its Applications, 192, Springer, Dordrecht, ISBN 978-94-007-5328-0:427-489, 2013.
- Aminanda, Y., Castanié, B., Barrau, J.-J., and Thevenet, P. , “Experimental Analysis and Modeling of the Crushing of Honeycomb Cores,” Appl Compos Mater 12(3-4):213-227, 2005, doi:10.1007/s10443-005-1125-3.
- Aktay, L., Johnson, A.F., and Kröplin, B.-H. , “Numerical Modelling of Honeycomb Core Crush Behaviour,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 75(9):2616-2630, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.engfracmech.2007.03.008.
- Liu, L., Meng, P., Wang, H., and Guan, Z. , “The Flatwise Compressive Properties of Nomex Honeycomb Core with Debonding Imperfections in the Double Cell Wall,” Composites Part B: Engineering 76:122-132, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.compositesb.2015.02.017.
- Chen, Y., Hou, S., Fu, K., Han, X. et al. , “Low-Velocity Impact Response of Composite Sandwich Structures: Modelling and Experiment,” Composite Structures 168:322-334, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.02.064.
- Zhang, Y., Liu, T., and Tizani, W. , “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of Dynamic Compressive Response of Nomex Honeycombs,” Composites Part B: Engineering 148:27-39, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.compositesb.2018.04.025.
- Zhou, H., Xu, P., Xie, S., Feng, Z. et al. , “Mechanical Performance and Energy Absorption Properties of Structures Combining Two Nomex Honeycombs,” Composite Structures 185:524-536, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.11.059.
- Seemann, R. and Krause, D. , “Numerical Modelling of Nomex Honeycomb Sandwich Cores at Meso-Scale Level,” Composite Structures 159:702-718, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2016.09.071.
- Airbus, S.AS. , “Honeycomb Cores, Hexagonal of Polyamide Paper, Phenolic Resin Bonded, Cured,” ABS5035, Rev. 2014.
- Airbus, S.A.S , AIMS, “Woven Glass Fiber Reinforced Thermoset Prepreg Flame Retarded (FST),” AIMS05-10-008, Rev. 2016.
- Dowden, J. , The Theory of Laser Materials Processing. Vol. vol. 119 (Dordrecht: Springer Netherlands, 2009). ISBN:978-1-4020-9339-5.
- Zäh, M.F. and Rösch, O. , “Steigerung der Arbeitsgenauigkeit bei der Fräsbearbeitung mit Industrierobotern,” ZWF 106(9):658-662, 2011, doi:10.3139/104.110598.
- Timošenko, S.P. and Gere, J.M. , “Theory of Elastic Stability,” Engineering Societies Monographs, 2nd ed. (Auckland: McGraw-Hill, 2000), ISBN 0070647496.