This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low-Cost and Light-Weight Fireproof Material for Aircraft: Interior, Cargo Compartment and Unit Load Device (Fire and Explosion Container ULD)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: AeroTech Europe
Fire is a dramatic issue in aircraft nowadays, especially for composite air craft. An additional issue is the dangerous use of flammable Li-Ion batteries in many devices. To minimize fire issues, it is proposed to produce aircraft interiors, fire doors, cargo bay walls, and cargo containers that are able to contain a fire inside them, with our ceramic composite called TOUGHCERAM®. It is low-cost, ceramic, damage tolerant, and flexible between minus 100°C and plus 350°C. TOUGHCERAM® poly-crystalizes between 20°C and 110°C and can be reinforced with fibers (carbon or basalt). It will survive 90 minutes under direct contact with a propane torch of 1900°C. TOUGHCERAM® does not burn or smoke.
This paper will explain how it is possible to develop a fully mineral-ceramic offering with unique mechanical, fire, and blast containment properties.
CitationSardou, M., "Low-Cost and Light-Weight Fireproof Material for Aircraft: Interior, Cargo Compartment and Unit Load Device (Fire and Explosion Container ULD)," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1857, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1857.
- Sardou, M.A., Labbe, T., and Stadler, C. , “Composite Compression Springs - The Challenger of Helicoidal (Steel), Springs 11/01/1994, SAE Truck & Bus Meeting SEA.
- Sardou, M.A. and Djomseu, P. , “Light and Low-Cost Composite Compression C Springs for Vehicle Suspension,” 03/06/2000, SAE World Congress Detroit, 2000-01-0100.
- Sardou, M.A., Damotte, E.E., Djomseu, P., and Zunino, C. , “Light Weight, Low Cost Composite Coil Springs are a Reality,” 04/11/2005, SAE World Congress Detroit, 2005-01-1698.
- Sardou, M.A. , “Patricia Sardou EPOSIL® for Automotive Suspension Components, Coils Springs and High-Pressure Vessels, SAE World Congress Detroit, 2015-01-0726.
- Sardou, M.A., Sardou, P., and Berg, T. , “Composite Springs for: Suspension Vehicles, Spacecraft Stage Separation, and Satellite Ejection on Orbit,” 4/10/2018, SAE World Congress Detroit, 2018-01-0150.
- Sardou, M.A., Sardou, P., and Berg, T. , “Composite Springs for: Composite Components for Vehicle Lightweight: Springs, Wishbones, Low-Cost Hydrogen Tanks, Demise of Astronautic Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessel,” 4/11/2019, SAE World Congress Detroit, 2019-19-0052.