Simulation and Systems Engineering: Lessons Learned
Published March 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
Event: AeroTech Americas
Aerospace projects live a long time. Around the turn of the century, NASA first began to discuss multi-decadal projects with respect to the tools, methods, infrastructure and culture necessary to successfully establish outposts and bases both on the Moon as well as in adjacent space. Pilot projects were completed, capabilities developed and solutions were shared across the Agency. A decade later the Mars discussion was multi-generational with planning milestones 50 years in the future. The 1970’s Requirements Document, or the 1990’s System Model are nowhere near suitable for planning, development, integration and operations of multi-national, highly complex, incredibly expensive development efforts planned to outlast not only the careers of the developers but that of their children as well. Simulation in the different forms has become very important for this multi-decadal projects. The challenge will be to device ways to create formats and views which can stand time.
This paper will share and discuss challenges, tools, methods, plans, successes and unmet goals associated with development of multi-decadal projects and simulation. In addition, it will briefly discuss re-using and sharing multi-generational information.
CitationConroy, M. and Rabelo, L., "Simulation and Systems Engineering: Lessons Learned," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1331, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1331.
- Monell, D., Mathias, D., Reuther, J., and Garn, M. , “Multi-Disciplinary Analysis for Future Launch Systems Using NASA’s Advanced Engineering Environment (AEE),” in Proceedings of the 16th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, Fluid Dynamics and Co-located Conferences, https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2003-3428.
- Monell, D., Reuther, J., and Garn, M. , “Multi-Disciplinary Analysis for Future Launch Systems Using NASA’s Advanced Engineering Environment (AEE),” in Proceedings of the 16th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, Orlando, FL, 2003.
- Monell, D., Reuters, J., Vander Kam, J., Verhage, M. et al. , “The Advanced Engineering Environment (AEE) Project for NASA’s Next Generation Launch Technologies (NGLT) Program,” in Proceedings of the 42nd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, 2004.
- Sillitto, H. , “Panel on ‘People or Process, Which Is More Important’,” Presented at the 21st Annual International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) International Symposium, Denver, CO, June 20-23, 2011, Defense Acquisition (2011), Systems Engineering Fundamentals, University Press.
- Taylor, S., Lendermann, P., Paul, R., Reichenthal, S. et al. , “Panel on Future Challenges in Modeling Methodology,” in Ingalls, R.G., Rossetti, M.D., Smith, J.S., and Peters, B.A. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 2004 Winter Simulation Conference (2004).
- Holt, J. , UML for Systems Engineering - Watching the Wheels Second Edition (Stevenage, UK: IET Publishing, 2004).
- Rumbaugh, J., Jacobson, I., and Booch, G. , The Unified Modeling Language Reference Manual Second Edition (Boston, MA: Addison-Wesley, 2005).
- Holt, J. and Perry, S. , SysML for Systems Engineering (Stevenage, UK: IET Publishing, 2008).
- IEEE , “IEEE Standard for Modeling and Simulation (M&S) High Level Architecture (HLA),” IEEE Std 1516-2010, IEEE Std 1516.1-2010, and IEEE Std 1516.2-2010, www.ieee.org, Aug. 2010.
- Falcone, A. , “The SEE HLA Starter Kit: Enabling the Rapid Prototyping of HLA-Based Simulations for Space Exploration,” Paper presented at the SCS SpringSim 2016 Conference, Pasadena, CA, Apr. 2016, Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299285783_The_SEE_HLA_Starter_Kit_enabling_the_rapid_prototyping_of_HLA-based_simulations_for_space_exploration.
- Conroy, M. and Mazzone, R.A. , “Distributed Observer Network (DON),” Version 3.0, User’s Guide, Jan. 1, 2015, Retrieved from https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20150007727.pdf.
- NRC Steering Committee for the Decadal Survey of Civil Aeronautics , “Decadal Survey of Civil Aeronautics: Foundation for the Future,” 2006, http://www.nap.edu/catalog/11664.html.
- NRC Computer Science and Telecommunications Board , Report of a Workshop on the Scope and Nature of Computational Thinking (Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2010).
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine , NASA Space Technology Roadmaps and Priorities Revisited (Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2016). https://doi.org/10.17226/23582.
- NASA Science Mission Directorate , “2010 Science Plan,” http://science.nasa.gov/about-us/sciencestrategy/.
- Conroy, M. , “Playing Nice across Time & Space: Tools, Methods and Tech for Multi-Location Multi-Decadal Teams,” Retrieved from http://www.convr2015.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Mike-Conroy-CONVR2015-Keynote.pdf, Aug. 10, 2018.