SAE ARP6338: Process for Assessment and Mitigation of Aging and Potential Early Wearout of Life-Limited Microcircuits (LLM)
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
This paper describes a Reliability Physics Analysis process to assess aging and the potential for early wearout of microcircuits, as documented in SAE ARP6338. As microcircuit feature sizes (gate length, line width, etc.) continue to shrink to near atomic levels, they become increasingly susceptible to aging mechanisms such as Electromigration, Time-Dependent Dielectric Breakdown, Hot Carrier Injection and Bias Temperature Instability effects. These mechanisms are driven by voltage, current and thermal operating stresses resulting in shorter times for aging to progress to the point where wearout can occur. If the times to wearout are shorter than the required lifetimes of the microcircuits in their applications, the microcircuits are called Life-Limited Microcircuits. A brief overview of these aging mechanisms and their impact on the long-life electronics systems used in Aerospace, Automotive, Defense, and other High Performance industries is provided. A summary of the SAE ARP6338 approach and implementation recommendations is also provided along with its importance to automotive Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems and autonomous electronic systems.
CitationCondra, L., Alagappan, A., and Hillman, C., "SAE ARP6338: Process for Assessment and Mitigation of Aging and Potential Early Wearout of Life-Limited Microcircuits (LLM)," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1254, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1254.
- Mutschler, A.S., “Aging in Advanced Nodes,” Semiconductor Engineering, Sept. 7, 2018 https://semiengineering.com/a-turning-point-for-aging/.
- Black J.R. “Mass Transport of Aluminum by Momentum Exchange with Conducting Electrons,” in Proc 6th Ann Reliability Physics Symposium, 1967, 148-59.
- Black, J.R., “Electromigration - a brief survey and some recent results,” IEEE Trans Electron Devices 16(4):338-347, 1969.
- Osburn, C.M. and Ormond, D.W., “Dielectric Breakdown in Silicon Dioxide Films on Silicon I. Measurement and Interpretation,” Journal of the Electrochemical Soc. 119(5):591-597, 1972.
- McPherson, J.W. and Baglee, D. A., “Acceleration Factors for Thin Gate Oxide Stressing,” in International Reliability Physics Symposium, 1985, 1.
- Hu, C., Tam, S.C., Hsu, F.-C., Ko, P.K. et al., IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, ED-32 (1985), 375.
- Tam, S., Ko, P.K., and Hu, C., IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, ED-31 (1984), 116.
- Samsung Says It Has Started Chip Production Using EUV, J. Morra, Electronic Design, October. 23, 2018, https://www.electronicdesign.com/embedded-revolution/samsung-says-it-has-started-chip-production-using-euv.
- JEDEC JESD22-A108 Temperature, Bias, and Operating Life
- JEDEC JESD85 Methods for Calculating Failure Rates in Units of FITs.
- AEC Q100 Failure Mechanism Based Stress Test Qualification For Integrated Circuits
- Wyrwas, E., Condra, L., and Hava A., “Accurate Quantitative Physics-of-Failure Approach to Integrated Circuit Reliability,” IPC APEX Jan. 2011, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267701062_Accurate_Quantitative_Physics-of-Failure_Approach_to_Integrated_Circuit_Reliability.
- SAE ARP 6338, “Process for Assessment and Mitigation of Early Wearout of Life-limited Microcircuits,” https://www.sae.org/standards/content/arp6338/.
- Sperling, E., “Chip Aging Accelerates,” Semiconductor Engineering, Feb. 14, 2018, https://semiengineering.com/chip-aging-accelerates/.
- Bailey, B., “Chip Aging Becomes Design Problem,” Semiconductor Engineering, August 9, 2018, https://semiengineering.com/chip-aging-becomes-design-problem/
- Sperling, E., “Who’s Paying for Auto Chip Test,” Semiconductor Engineering, August 16, 2018, https://semiengineering.com/whos-paying-for-auto-chip-test/.
- Mutschler A.S., “Cracking the Auto IC Market,” Semiconductor Engineering, Sept. 6, 2018, https://semiengineering.com/cracking-the-auto-ic-market/.
- Bailey, B., “Minimizing Chip Aging Effects,” Semiconductor Engineering, Sept. 13, 2018, https://semiengineering.com/minimizing-chip-aging-effects/.
- Mutschler A.S., “Transistor Aging Intensifies At 10/7nm and Below,” Semiconductor Engineering, July 13th, 2017, https://semiengineering.com/transistor-aging-intensifies-10nm/.
- Powell, M.J., “Charge Trapping Instabilities in Amorphous Silicon-Silicon Nitride Thin-Film Transistors,” Applied Physics Lett. 43:597, 1983.
- Tudor, B., Wang, J., Sun, C. et al., “MOSRA: An Efficient and Versatile MOS Aging Modeling and Reliability Analysis Solution for 45nm and below,” in the 2010 10th IEEE International Conference on Solid-State and IC Technology, https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5667399.
- Schaldenbrand, A., Analog Reliability Analysis for Mission-Critical Applications Cadence White Paper, https://www.cadence.com/content/dam/cadence-www/global/en_US/documents/tools/custom-ic-analog-rf-design/rethinking-reliability-wp.pdf.
- Feng, F., Full-Chip Electrical Reliability Verification: A New Approach For Advanced Nodes, Siemens Mentor Graphic White Paper. https://www.mentor.com/products/ic_nanometer_design/resources/overview/full-chip-electrical-reliability-verification-a-new-approach-for-advanced-nodes-e0281765-22bf-4971-a354-252be33d6157.
- Sunderland, D., Bechtold, L., Tawfellos, B., Touw, A. et al., “Collaborative Approach for Practical Modeling of Microcircuit Failures in High-Reliability Applications,” in Proc. of IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), June 2014, https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6860649
- Bechtold, L., Molière, F., Sunderland, D., and Tawfellos, B., “Practical Applications of Semiconductor Reliability Modeling,” in Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium (RAMS), 2015, https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7105157.
- AVSI Project AFE 71, “Methods to Account for Accelerated Semiconductor Device Wear Out,” https://avsi.aero/projects/current-projects/avionics-reliability/semiconductor-reliability/815-2/.
- AVSI Project AFE 83 Semiconductor Reliability, https://avsi.aero/projects/current-projects/avionics-reliability/semiconductor-reliability/semiconductor-reliability/.
- Turner, T., SIG Summary: Reliability Simulation Council,” IEEE International Integrated Reliability Workshop - Final Rpt, 2012, https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6468970.
- Haeberle, R. and McLeish, J., “Moving Automotive Electronics from Reliability/Durability Testing to Virtual Validation Modeling Using a Physics of Failure CAE App,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0233, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0233.
- SAE APMC Avionics Process Management Committee, https://www.sae.org/works/committeeHome.do?comtID=TEAAPMC.
- ISO 26262, “Road Vehicles - Functional Safety[[..”