This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Dual Fuel Combustion in Single Cylinder Research Engine Fueled with Methane and Diesel by IR Diagnostics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the present study, dual fuel mode is investigated in a single cylinder optical compression ignition (CI) research engine. Methane is injected in the intake manifold while the diesel is delivered via the standard injector directly into the engine. The aim is to study by non-intrusive diagnostics the effect of increasing methane concentration at constant injected diesel amount during the combustion evolution from start of combustion.
IR imaging is applied in cycle resolved mode. Three filters are adopted to detect from injection to combustion phase with high spatial and temporal resolution: OD1.45 (3-5.5 μm), band pass 3.3 μm (hydrocarbons) and band pass 4.2 μm (CO2).
Using the band pass IR imaging qualitative information about fuel-vapor distribution and ignition locations during low and high temperature combustion have been provided.
The detected combustion emission both in the visible and IR wavelength range is measured by the images and compared with the in-cylinder pressure measurements and the ROHR. It was observed that the ignition delay is not affected by the premixed charge of methane and the combustion duration increases adding higher amount of methane. The combustion occurs along the different jets of diesel fuel in the azimuthal and radial locations of chamber and increasing the methane amount the combustion evolution is more homogeneous. CO2 and C-H bond evolution is strongly related to the CH4 amount demonstrating that the gas fuel contributes to combustion later than in the diesel fuel mode and confirming the presence of methanic species at the exhaust.
CitationMancaruso, E., Todino, M., and Vaglieco, B., "Analysis of Dual Fuel Combustion in Single Cylinder Research Engine Fueled with Methane and Diesel by IR Diagnostics," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1165, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1165.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Yang , B. and Zeng , K. Effects of Natural Gas Injection Timing and Split Pilot Fuel Injection Strategy on the Combustion Performance and Emissions in Dual-Fuel Engine Fuelled with Diesel and Natural Gas Energy Conversion and Management 168 162 169 2018
- Carlucci , A.P. , Laforgia , D. , Saracino , R. , and Toro , G. Combustion and Emission Control in Diesel-Methane Dual Fuel Engines: The Effects of Methane Supply Method Combined with Variable In-Cylinder Charge Bulk Motion Energy Conversion and Management 52 3004 3017 2011
- Magno , A. , Mancaruso , E. , and Vaglieco , B.M. Combustion Analysis of Dual Fuel Operation in Single Cylinder Research Engine Fuelled with Methane and Diesel SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2461 2015 10.4271/2015-24-2461
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals New York Mc Graw-Hill 1988
- Liu , J. , Yang , F. , Wang , H. , Ouyang , M. , and Hao , S. Effects of Pilot Fuel Quantity on the Emissions Characteristics of a CNG/Diesel Dual Fuel Engine with Optimized Pilot Injection Timing Applied Energy 110 201 206 2013
- Wagemakers , A.M.L.M. and Leermakers , C.A.J. Review on the Effects of Dual-Fuel Operation, Using Diesel and Gaseous Fuels, on Emissions and Performance SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0869 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0869
- Wei , L. and Geng , P. A Review on Natural Gas/Diesel Dual Fuel Combustion, Emissions and Performance Fuel Processing Technology 142 264 278 2015
- Cameretti , M.C. , Tuccillo , R. , De Simio , L. , Iannaccone , S. , and Ciaravola , U. A Numerical and Experimental Study of Dual Fuel Diesel Engine for Different Injection Timings Applied Thermal Engineering 101 630 638 2016
- Aronson , U. , Chartier , C. , Horn , U. , Andersson , O. et al. Heat Release Comparison between Optical and All Metal HSDI Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1062 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1062
- Mancaruso , E. and Vaglieco , B.M. Spectroscopy Analysis of the Phases of Premixed Combustion in a Compression Ignition Engine Fulled with Diesel and Ethanol Applied Energy 143 164 175 2015
- Gagnon , M.A. , Tremblay , P. , Savary , S. , Farley , V. , Mancaruso , E. and Sequino , L. High-Speed Infrared Imaging for Analysis of a Diesel Engine Supplied with a Premixed Methane-Air Charge Proceedings of Combustion Institute University of Waterloo 2016
- Roberts , G. , Rousselle , C.M. , Musculus , M. , Wissink , M. et al. RCCI Combustion Regime Transitions in a Single-Cylinder Optical Engine and a Multi-Cylinder Metal Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 10 5 2017 10.4271/2017-24-0088
- Mancaruso , E. , Sequino , L. and Vaglieco , B.M. Evaluation of the Vaporization Energy of a Fuel Spray in a Research Engine Using Infrared Imaging and 1D Model ICHMT International Symposium on Advances in Computational Heat Transfer May 28-June 1, 2017
- Wang , Z. , Du , G. , Wang , D. , Xu , Y. , and Shao , M. Combustion Process Decoupling of a Diesel/Natural Gas Dual-Fuel Engine at Low Loads Fuel 232 550 561 2018
- Stewart , J. , Clarke , A. , and Chen , R. An Experimental Study of the Dual Fuel Performance of a Small Compression Ignition Diesel Engine Operating with Three Gaseous Fuels Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D-Journal of Automobile Engineering 2007
- Zhang , A. , Montanaro , A. , Allocca , L. , Naber , J. , and Lee , S.Y. Measurement of Diesel Spray Formation and Combustion upon Different Nozzle Geometry Using Hybrid Imaging Technique SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 1034 1043 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1410
- Hegab , A. and Shayler , P. Effect of Pilot Pre-Injection on Methane-Diesel Dual Fuel Engine Combustion Proceedings of the 2th World Congress on Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer 2017
- Benajes , J. , Garcìa , A. , Monsalve-Serrano , J. , and Villalta , D. Exploring the Limits of the Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition Combustion Concept in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine and the Influence of the Direct-Injected Fuel Properties Energy Conversion and Management 157 277 287 2018
- Gaydon , A.G. The Spectroscopy of Flames London Chapman 1957
- Jansons , M. , Lin , S. , and Rhee , K. Infrared Spectral Analysis of Engine Preflame Emission International Journal of Engine Research 9 215 237 2008