This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessing the Impact of FAME and Diesel Fuel Composition on Stability and Vehicle Filter Blocking
ISSN: 2641-9637, e-ISSN: 2641-9645
Published January 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Gopalan, K., Chuck, C., Roy-Smith, C., and Bannister, C., "Assessing the Impact of FAME and Diesel Fuel Composition on Stability and Vehicle Filter Blocking," SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 1(1):284-290, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0049.
- Palanisamy, M., Lorch, J., Truemner, R., and Baldwin, B. , “Combustion Characteristics of a 3000 Bar Diesel Fuel System on a Single Cylinder Research Engine,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 8(2):479-490, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2798.
- Eagle, W.E., Morris, S.B., and Wooldridge, M.S. , “High-Speed Imaging of Transient Diesel Spray Behavior during High Pressure Injection of a Multi-Hole Fuel Injector,” Fuel 116:299-309, 2014.
- Omori, T., Tanaka, A., Yamada, K., and Bunne, S. , “Biodiesel Deposit Formation Mechanism and Improvement of Fuel Injection Equipment (FIE),” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1935 , 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1935.
- Omori, T., Tanaka, A., Yamada, K., and Bunne, S. , “Biodiesel Fuel Effects on Injection System and Establishment of the Evaluation Method,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0057 , 2011, 10.4271/2011-28-0057.
- Knothe, G. , “Designer Biodiesel: Optimizing Fatty Ester Composition to Improve Fuel Properties,” Energy & Fuels 22(2):1358-1364, 2008.
- Mahr, B. , “Future and Potential of Diesel Injection Systems,” in Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines 2: Selected Papers from the THIESEL 2002 Conference, Valencia, Spain, 11-13 September 2002, Whitelaw, J.H. et al. , Editors (Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Berlin, Heidelberg), 2004, 3-17.
- Bannister, C. et al. , “Oxidative Stability of Biodiesel Fuel,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 225(1):99-114, 2011.
- Zhao, H. , Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development: Diesel Engines. 2 (Elsevier, 2009).
- Anderson, J.E., Collings, T., Mueller, S., Ball, J. et al. , “Soy Biodiesel Oxidation at Vehicle Fuel System Temperature: Influence of Aged Fuel on Fresh Fuel Degradation to Simulate Refueling,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(2):296-303, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0809.
- Pullen, J. and Saeed, K. , “An Overview of Biodiesel Oxidation Stability,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 16(8):5924-5950, 2012.
- Saltas, E. et al. , “Investigation of the Effects of Biodiesel Aging on the Degradation of Common Rail Fuel Injection Systems,” Fuel 200:357-370, 2017.
- Gopalan, K. et al. , “Factors Affecting Diesel Fuel Degradation Using a Bespoke High-Pressure Fuel System Rig,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering (Special Issue):1-12, 2017.
- Ball, J.C. et al. , “Oxidation and Polymerization of Soybean Biodiesel/Petroleum Diesel Blends,” Energy & Fuels 32(1):441-449, 2018.
- Christensen, E., McCormick, R., Sigelko, J., Johnson, S. et al. , “Impact of a Diesel High Pressure Common Rail Fuel System and Onboard Vehicle Storage on B20 Biodiesel Blend Stability,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 9(1):203-214, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0885.
- Adler, J. , “Ceramic Diesel Particulate Filters,” International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology 2(6):429-439, 2005.
- Barker, J., Snape, C., and Scurr, D. , “A Novel Technique for Investigating the Characteristics and History of Deposits Formed within High Pressure Fuel Injection Equipment,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(3):1155-1164, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1685.
- Jain, S. and Sharma, M. , “Stability of Biodiesel and its Blends: A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 14(2):667-678, 2010.
- Ogawa, T., Kajiya, S., Kosaka, S., Tajima, I. et al. , “Analysis of Oxidative Deterioration of Biodiesel Fuel,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):1571-1583, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2502.
- Pullen, J. and Saeed, K. , “Experimental Study of the Factors Affecting the Oxidation Stability of Biodiesel FAME Fuels,” Fuel Processing Technology 125:223-235, 2014.
- McCormick, R. et al. , “Several Factors Affecting the Stability of Biodiesel in Standard Accelerated Tests,” Fuel Processing Technology 88(7):651-657, 2007.
- Bacha, K. et al. , “Oxidation Stability of Diesel/Biodiesel Fuels Measured by a PetroOxy Device and Characterization of Oxidation Products,” Energy & Fuels 29(7):4345-4355, 2015.
- Fontaras, G. et al. , “Effects of Biodiesel on Passenger Car Fuel Consumption, Regulated and Non-regulated Pollutant Emissions over Legislated and Real-World Driving Cycles,” Fuel 88(9):1608-1617, 2009.
- Bouilly, J., Mohammadi, A., Iida, Y., Hashimoto, H. et al. , “Biodiesel Stability and its Effects on Diesel Fuel Injection Equipment,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0860 , 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0860.
- Barker, J., Richards, P., Goodwin, M., and Wooler, J. , “Influence of High Injection Pressure on Diesel Fuel Stability: A Study of Resultant Deposits,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2(1):877-884, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1877.
- Yamane, K. et al. , “Oxidation Stability of Biodiesel and its Effects on Diesel Combustion and Emission Characteristics,” International Journal of Engine Research 8(3):307-319, 2007.
- Yu, W. et al. , “Development of a New Skeletal Mechanism for Decalin Oxidation under Engine Relevant Conditions,” Fuel 212:41-48, 2018.