This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Piston Detergency and Anti-Wear Performance of Non-Phosphorus and Non-Ash Engine Oil
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The deposition of ash derived from engine oil on the surface of diesel particle filters (DPF) has recently been reported to degrade the performance of the DPF. It is generally known that phosphorus in engine oil is adsorbed on the surface of an automotive exhaust catalyst, reducing the performance of the catalyst. Thus, the amounts of ash and phosphorus in engine oil have been decreased. We have developed a non-phosphorus, non-ash engine oil (NPNA) that does not contain metal-based detergents or zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZnDTP). Various engine tests were performed, and we confirmed that under normal running conditions, the NPNA oil had a sufficiently high piston detergency and wear resistance-two important requirements for engine oil-to meet current American and Japanese standards.
However, the piston detergency of NPNA required further improvement when engine running conditions were more severe. We performed a hot tube test to evaluate the piston detergency of NPNA at high temperatures and developed additives (ashless detergents) that did not contain ash (metallic elements). We then evaluated the piston detergency and valve train wear prevention of the improved NPNA. The tests were performed using two engines: one manufactured by Caterpillar Inc. and regulated by the guidelines of the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) D6750, and one manufactured by Hino Motors, Ltd. and regulated by the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) M354:2015. We confirmed that the improved NPNA possessed excellent piston detergency and provided outstanding valve train wear prevention.
CitationKasai, M., Koshima, H., and Takashima, Y., "Piston Detergency and Anti-Wear Performance of Non-Phosphorus and Non-Ash Engine Oil," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0021, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0021.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Hori , M. Automobile Research 26 1 3 7 2004
- Japan Clean Air Program (JCAP) Working Group on Diesel Vehicles (Oil) 2001
- Lafyatis , D.S. , Bennett , C.J. , and Hales , M.A. The Effects of Oil-Derived Poisons on Three-Way Catalyst Performance SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1093 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1093
- Pless , L.G. Deposits, Wear, and Catalyst Performance with Low Ash and Ashless Engine Oils SAE Technical Paper 750900 1975 10.4271/750900
- Burrows , A.L. , Korosec , P.S. , Malfer , D.J. , and Yatsunami , K. Formulation of Lower Phosphorus Passenger Car Oils SAE Technical Paper 860373 1986 10.4271/860373
- Colclough , T. , Marsh , J.F. , and Robson , R. Laboratory and Field Performance of Zero Phosphorus Oils SAE Technical Paper 910868 1991 10.4271/910868
- Shiomi , M. , Mitsui , J. , Akiyama , K. , Tanaka , K. et al. Formulation Technology for Low Phosphorus Gasoline Engine Oils SAE Technical Paper 922301 1992 10.4271/922301
- Johnson , M.D. , Korcek , S. , Jensen , R.K. , Gangopadhyay , A.K. et al. Laboratory Assessment of the Oxidation and Wear Performance Capabilities of Low Phosphorus Engine Oils SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3541 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3541
- Gao , H. , Bjornen , K.K. , Gangopadhyay , A.K. , and Jensen , R.K. Oxidation and Antiwear retention Capability of Low Phosphorus Engine Oils SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3822 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3822
- Kaneko , T. , Yamashita , M. , Ohori , M. , and Murakami , M. Development of Low Sulfated Ash and Fuel Economy Diesel Engine Oil SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1845 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1845
- McGeehan , J.A. , Dam , W.V. , Nelson , K. , Boffa , A. , and Carabell , K. Minimizing Diesel Particulate Filter Incombustibles by Using Ultra Low Ash-Zero Phosphorus Oil SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 3 890 900 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2798
- Ahmed , N.S. , Abdel-Hameed , H.S. , El-Kafrawy , A.F. , and Nassar , A.N. Synthesis and Evaluation of Ashless Detergent/Dispersant Additives for Lubricating Engine Oil Industrial Lubrication and Tribology 67 6 622 629 2015
- Shimizu , Y. Idemitsu Technical Report 54 2 40 45 2011
- Fujita , Y. Idemitsu Tribo Review 34 7 10 2011
- Iwasaki , J. , Shimizu , Y. , Fujita , H. , and Kasai , M. Impact of Non-Phosphorus and Non-Ash Engine Oil on After-Treatment Devices SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2782 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2782
- Kasai , M. , Yoshimura , N. , Tamashima , Y. , and Izumi , I. The Effect of Ashless Additives for Non-Phosphorus and Non-Ash Engine Oil on Piston Detergency SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2031 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2031