This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of the New Features of a Prototype High-Pressure “Hollow Cone Spray” Diesel Injector by Means of Engine Performance Characterization and Spray Visualization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The application of more efficient compression ignition combustion concepts requires advancement in terms of fuel injection technologies. The injector nozzle is the most critical component of the whole injection system for its impact on the combustion process. It is characterized by the number of holes, diameter, internal shape, and opening angle. The reduction of the nozzle hole diameter seems the simplest way to promote the atomization process but the number of holes must be increased to keep constant the injected fuel mass. This logic has been applied to the development of a new generation of injectors. First, the tendency to increase the nozzle number and to reduce the diameter has led to the replacement of the nozzle with a circular plate. The vertical movement of the needle generates an annulus area for the fuel delivery on 360 degrees, so controlling the atomization as a function of the vertical plate position. Second, on the base of the obtained results, the authors have introduced a new nozzle configuration. This is characterized by a hybrid fuel injection concept, composed of five preferential fuel jets, generated via a specific design of the internal nozzle geometry, and an additional circle-shaped fuel injection, with the aim of using the air between the jets. The experimental investigation has been performed on a single-cylinder metal engine to assess the new concept injector performance by varying the main control parameters (electrical command, nozzle tip protrusion, test point, etc.). Then a deeper investigation of the injector characteristics in different conditions has been performed in an optical single-cylinder diesel engine via digital imaging to catch information on its functioning. A better control of the fuel delivery has been observed compared to the previous injector configuration. Images of the injection process showed that the fuel assumed a good symmetric shape at the nozzle exit for both the jets and the circular plume. A better utilization of the available volume is granted by the new concept injector. The improved mixing quality has shown advantages in terms of combustion efficiency and engine-out emissions.
CitationSequino, L., Belgiorno, G., Di Blasio, G., Mancaruso, E. et al., "Assessment of the New Features of a Prototype High-Pressure “Hollow Cone Spray” Diesel Injector by Means of Engine Performance Characterization and Spray Visualization," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1697, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1697.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Maes, N., Reijnders, J., Boot, M., Luijten, C. et al., “Spray and Failure Analysis of Porous Injection Nozzles,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1654, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1654.
- Ueda, D., Tanada, H., Utsunomiya, A., Kawamura, J. et al., “4th Generation Diesel Piezo Injector (Realizing Enhanced High Response Injector),” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0846, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0846.
- Reijnders, J., Boot, M., de Goey, P., Bosi, M. et al., “Spray Analysis of the PFAMEN Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0036, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-24-0036.
- Leng, X., Jin, Y., He, Z., Long, W. et al., “Numerical Study of the Internal Flow and Initial Mixing of Diesel Injector Nozzles with V-Type Intersecting Holes,” Fuel 197:31-41, 2017.
- Komada, K. and Moon, S., “Transient Needle Motion of an Outwardly Opening GDI Injector and its Effects on Initial Spray Formation,” Fuel 181:964-972, 2016.
- Sim, J., Badra, J., Elwardany, A., and Im, H., “Spray Modeling for Outwardly-Opening Hollow-Cone Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0844, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0844.
- Abhishek, D.Y., Giridar, V., Mathis, B., Heinz, P. et al., “Characterization of Hollow Cone Gas Jets in the Context of Direct Gas Injection in Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0296, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0296.
- Beatrice, C., Migliaccio, M., Montanaro, A., Fraioli, V. et al., “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a High-Pressure Outwardly Opening Hollow Cone Spray Injector for Automotive Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0840, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0840.
- Ishima, T., Matsuda, T., Shiga, S., Araki, M. et al., “Characteristics of HCCI Diesel Combustion Operated with a Hollow Cone Spray,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1823, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1823.
- Araki, M., Umino, T., Obokata, T., Ishima, T. et al., “Effects of Compression Ratio on Characteristics of PCCI Diesel Combustion with a Hollow Cone Spray,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2130, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2130.
- Beatrice, C., Belgiorno, G., Blasio, G.D., Mancaruso, E. et al., “Analysis of a Prototype High-Pressure Hollow Cone Spray Diesel Injector Performance in Optical and Metal Research Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0073, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0073.
- Heywood, J.B. et al., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. Vol. 930 (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1988).
- Aronsson, U., Chartier, C., Horn, U., Andersson, Ö. et al., “Heat Release Comparison between Optical and All-Metal HSDI Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1062, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1062.
- Thermo Vision Advanced - Addendum to Visioscope v1.2, AVL List GmbH, Graz, Austria, 2004 .
- Nouri, J., Hamid, M., Yan, Y., and Arcoumanis, C., “Spray Characterization of a Piezo Pintle-Type Injector for Gasoline Direct Injection Engines,” Journal of Physics: Conference Series 85(1):012-037, 2007.
- Magno, A., Mancaruso, E., Sequino, L., and Vaglieco, B., “Analysis of Spray Evolution from both Piezo and Solenoid Injectors in Single Cylinder Research Engine,” ILASS-2013, 25th European Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Chania, Greece, 2013.
- Jeon, J. and Moon, S., “Ambient Density Effects on Initial Flow Breakup and Droplet Size Distribution of Hollow-Cone Sprays from Outwardly-Opening GDI Injector,” Fuel 211:572-581, 2018.
- Gallo, Y., Simonsson, J., Lind, T., Bengtsson, P.-E. et al., “A Study of In-Cylinder Soot Oxidation by Laser Extinction Measurements during an EGR-Sweep in an Optical Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0800, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0800.