This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of State of Charge Constraints on Fuel Economy and Battery Aging when Using the Equivalent Consumption Minimization Strategy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Battery State of Charge (SOC) constraints are used to prevent the battery in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs) from over-charging or over-discharging. These constraints strongly influence the power-split of the HEV. This paper presents results on how Battery State of Charge (SOC) constraints effects Lithium ion battery aging and fuel economy when using the Equivalent Consumption Minimization Strategy (ECMS). The vehicle studied is the Honda Civic Hybrid. The battery used is A123 Systems’ ANR26650 battery cell. Vehicle simulation uses multiple combinations of highway and city drive cycles. For each combination of drive cycles, nine SOC constraints ranges are used. Battery aging is evaluated using a semi-empirical model combined with the accumulated Ah-throughput method which uses, as an input, the battery SOC trajectory from the vehicle simulations. The simulation results provide insight into how SOC constraints effect fuel economy as well as battery aging. The paper concludes with a discussion of the balance between fuel economy and battery aging by examining performance results with various SOC constraints.
CitationZhou, B., Burl, J., and Rezaei, A., "Effect of State of Charge Constraints on Fuel Economy and Battery Aging when Using the Equivalent Consumption Minimization Strategy," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1002, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1002.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Antonio, S. and Lino, G., “Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Controls Systems 27(2):60-70, 2007.
- Hofman, T., Steinbuch, M., Van Druten, R., and Serrarens, A., “Rule-based Energy Management Strategies for Hybrid vehicles,” International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 1(1):71-94, 2007.
- Amir R., Jeffrey B., Bin Z., “Estimation of the ECMS Penalty Factor Bounds for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. PP, no. 99, pp. 1-8. doi:10.1109/TCST.2017.2740836
- Amir R, Jeffrey B, Ali S, Bin Z, Mohammad R, Mahdi S, Catch Energy Saving Opportunity (CESO), an Instantaneous Optimal Energy Management Strategy for Series Hybrid Electric Vehicles, Applied Energy, Available Online 23 Sep 2017, ISSN 0306-2619
- Donald E. K., “Optimal Control Theory and Introduction,” ISBN, 0486434842, Prentice-Hall Inc. Englewod Cliffs, New Jersey, 2004
- Kim, N.A., “P. R., “Comparison between rule-based and instantaneous optimization for a single-mode, power-split HEV.” SAE Technical Paper,” . In: 2011-01-0873. (2011), doi:10.4271/2011-01-0873.
- Lin C-C, Pengl H, Grizzle J. A Stochastic control strategy for hybrid electric vehicles. In: Proceedings of American Control Conference, Boston, MA, USA, vol. 5, 2004, p.4710-15.
- Pisu, P. and Rizzoni, G.A., “Comparative Study of Supervisory Control Strategies for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 15(3):13, 2007.
- Amir, R. and Jeffrey, B., “Effects of Time Horizon on Model Predictive Control for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” IFAC-PapersOnLine 48(15):252-256, Aug. 2015.
- Amir, R. and Jeffrey, B., “Prediction of Vehicle Velocity for Model Predictive Control,” IFAC-PapersOnLine 48(15):257-262, Aug. 2015.
- Onori, S. and Tribioli, L., “Adaptive Pontryagins Minimum Principle Supervisory Controller Design for the Plug-in Hybrid Gm Chevrolet Volt,” Applied Energy 147:224-234, 2015.
- Musardo, C., Rizzoni, G., and Staccia, B.A.-E.C.M.S., “An Adaptive Algorithm for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energy Management. In: 44th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and European Control Conference,” (Spain, Seville, 2005), 1816-1823.
- Chasse, A., Sciarretta, A., and Chauvin, J., “Online Optimal Control of a Parallel Hybrid with Costate Adaptation Rule,” IFAC Proc Volum 43(7):99-104, 2010.
- Chasse, A., Hafidi, G., Pognant-Gros, P., and Sciarretta, A., “Supervisory Control of Hybrid Powertrains: An Experimental Benchmark of Offline Optimization and Online Energy Management,” IFAC Proc Volum 42(26):109-117, 2009.
- Bin, Z., Jeffrey, B., and Amir, R., “Hybrid Electric Vehicle Battery Aging Estimation and Economic Analysis Based on Equivalent Consumption Minimization Strategy,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1251 , 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1251.
- Vetter, J., Novak, P., Wagner, M. R., Ageing Mechanisms in Lithium-Ion batteries Journal of Power Sources 147, no. 1 (2005) (pp269-281), 269.
- Tang L., Giorgio, R., Simona O., “Energy Management Strategy for HEVs Including Battery Life Optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, Vol. 1, NO. 3, October 2015.
- Khalid, K., Bin, Z., and Amir, R., “Real Time Application of Battery State of Charge and State of Health Estimation,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1199 , 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1199.
- Heinz, W., Ian, B., and Rudi, K., “Etc., “Life Prediction of Batteries for Selecting the Technically most Suitable and Cost Effective Battery,”,” Journal of Power Sources 144(2):373-384, 2005.
- Chiang, Y., Sean, W., and Ke, J., “Online Estimation of Internal Resistance and Open-Circuit Voltage of Lithium-Ion Batteries in Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources 196:3921-3932, 2011.
- Rong, P. and Massoud, P., “An Analytical Model for Predicting the Remaining Battery Capacity of Lithium-Ion Batteries,” IEEE Transactions on Very Large-Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems 14(5):441-451, 2006.
- Ye, Y., Shi, Y., Cai, N., Lee, J., and He, X., “Electro-Thermal Modeling and Experimental Validation for Lithium Ion Battery,” Journal of Power Sources 199:227-238, 2012.
- Anthony, B., Benjamin, D., Sebastien, G., Ect., “a Review on Lithium-Ion Battery Ageing Mechanisms and Estimations for Automotive Applications,” Journal of Power Sources 241, (2013) (pp680-689).
- Serrao, L., Simona O., Antonio S., Yann G., Giorgio R., “Optimal energy management of hybrid electric vehicles including battery aging.” In Proceeding of the 2011 American control conference 2011 Jun 29 (pp.2125-2130). IEEE.
- Amir R., Jeffrey B., Bin Z., Mohammad R., “A New Real-Time Optimal Energy Management Strategy for Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicles.” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol: PP, issue: 99, pages: 1-8. doi:10.1109/TCST.2017.2775184
- Paul W., “Many factors figure in fuel economy calculation for electric vehicles.” Automotive Engineering International Online (SAE International Magazine). Page URL: http://articles.sae.org/6559/, 06-Jul-2009
- Higuchi, N., Sunaga, Y., Tanaka, M., and Shimada, H., “Development of a New Two-Motor Plug-in Hybrid System,” SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 2(1):135-145, 2013.