This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Packaging Layout to Mitigate Crosstalk for SiC Devices
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
SiC devices have inherent fast switching capabilities due to their superior material properties, and are considered potential candidates to replace Si devices for traction inverters in electrified vehicles in future. However, due to the comparatively low gate threshold voltage, SiC devices may encounter oscillatory false triggering especially during fast switching. This paper analyzed the causes of false triggering, and also studied the impact of a critical parasitic parameter - common source inductance. It is shown that crosstalk is the main cause for the false triggering in the case and some positive common source inductance help to mitigate the crosstalk issue. A packaging layout method is proposed to create the positive common source inductance through layout of control terminals / busbars, and/or the use of control terminal bonded wires at different height.
CitationXu, Z., Chen, C., and Lei, T., "A Packaging Layout to Mitigate Crosstalk for SiC Devices," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0462, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0462.
- Su , M. , Chen , C. , Sharma , S. , and Kikuchi , J. Performance and Cost Considerations for SiC-Based HEV Traction Inverter Systems Proceedings of the IEEE Workshop on Wide Bandgap Power Devices and Applications (WiPDA) 2015 347 350
- Hamada , K. , Nagao , M. , Ajioka , M. , and Kawai , F. SiC-Emerging Power Device Technology for Next-Generation Electrically Powered Environmentally Friendly Vehicles IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices 62 2 278 285 2015
- She , X. , Huang , A.Q. , Lucía , Ó. , and Ozpineci , B. Review of Silicon Carbide Power Devices and their Applications Proc. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 64 10 8193 8205 Oct. 2017
- Zhang , Z. Dix , J. , Wang , F.F. , Blalock , B.J. , Intelligent Gate Drive for Fast Switching and Crosstalk Suppression of SiC Devices IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 32 12 9319 9332 2017
- Z. Chen , M. Danilovic , and D. Boroyevich Modularized design consideration of a general-purpose, high-speed phase-leg PEBB based on SiC MOSFETs Proceedings of the European Power Electronics and Applications Conference (EPE) 2011 1 10