This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Conceptual Design Challenges and Solutions in Power Shuttle Transmission Development for Legacy Tractors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Current developments in tractor transmission design has galloped to new heights with the introduction of CVT, Power shift, Power shuttle, hydrostatic etc besides the vastly available synchromesh and constant-mesh gearboxes. In contrary to the above existing facts of new powertrain development, there is a definite market need to revamp the heritage tractor models to be equipped with the modern transmission systems. This will help customers to have the advanced drivetrain features in the legacy tractors that have won many hearts. One such modernization was the development of new power shuttle transmission in legacy tractor models for TAFE tractors. Power shuttle primarily enables a tractor - in this case, to go forward and reverse by operating a wet clutch. A flick of lever, usually on the steering column changes the direction of the tractor at the same speed of the gear selected.
This research work is on the various conceptual drivetrain challenges akin to ground speeds, base drivetrain layout, wheel base, PTO speed, etc conquered with maximum use of existing drivetrain parts. Advanced simulation tools such as KISSsoft, MASTA for new gear design and FEA through ANSYS for shafts have been used where ever necessary. All innovative solutions discussed this research paper led to the design and development of a new, compact, cost effective power shuttle transmission option for legacy tractors with increased operator comfort, productivity, and life compared with the existing manual shuttle transmission.
CitationRajagopal, M., "Conceptual Design Challenges and Solutions in Power Shuttle Transmission Development for Legacy Tractors," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0394, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0394.
- Schwab, M. , "Electronically-Controlled Transmission Systems - Current Position and Future Developments," Transportation Electronics, 1990. Vehicle Electronics in the 90's: Proceedings of the International Congress on, 1990, pp. 335-342. doi: 10.1109/ICTE.1990.713029.
- Snoy, J., Dundore, M., and Pelligrino, P. , “The TDMC-33-7002: A 1500 HP Transmission for Shuttle Type Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 750818 , 1975, doi:10.4271/750818.
- Harms, H.H. , “Hydraulic Fluid Technology: Current Problems and Future Challenges,” International Exposition for Power Transmission and Technical Conference 4-6:I00-3.2, April, 2000.
- Sivakumar, K., Mohanamurugan, S., and Nagarajan, P.K. , "Multi Objective Optimal Design of Gear Box - Issues and Challenges Related to Power Transmission and Efficiency," Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, ISSN: 0974-2115, JCHPS Special Issue 6: November 2016.
- Pears, J. , "The Modern Approach to Transmission System Design and Analysis," in Gear Technology Magazine, September/October, 2015.
- Freescale semiconductor , "Challenges and Solutions in Advanced Powertrain Controls," white paper in Powertrain.
- Haupt, K. , "Challenges and Solutions for the Future Powertrain," Schaeffler SYMPOSIUM, 2010.