This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of Novel Ammonia Mixer Designs for SCR Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Meeting Euro 6d NOx emission regulations lower than 80 mg/km for light duty diesel (60 mg/km gasoline) vehicles remains a challenge, especially during cold-start tests at which the selective catalyst reduction (SCR) system does not work because of low exhaust gas temperatures (light-off temperature around 200 °C). While several exhaust aftertreatment system (EATS) designs are suggested in literature, solutions with gaseous ammonia injections seem to be an efficient and cost-effective way to enhance the NOx abatement at low temperature. Compared to standard SCR systems using urea water solution (UWS) injection, gaseous NH3 systems allow an earlier injection, prevent deposit formation and increase the NH3 content density. However non-uniform ammonia mixture distribution upstream of the SCR catalyst remains an issue. These exhaust gas/ NH3 inhomogeneities lead to a non-optimal NOx reduction performance, resulting in higher than expected NOx emissions and/or ammonia slip. Thus, efficient mixers upstream of the SCR are crucial for the overall EATS performance. In the experimental study reported in this article, planar laser induced fluorescence (PLIF) is used to quantify mixing performance of four novel CFD optimized static mixers in an optically accessible flow bench. The variation of boundary conditions and the change of exhaust line configurations (e.g. w/wo DOC upstream, w/wo DPF downstream) show a major effect on the mixing process and subsequently the homogeneity of the ammonia-exhaust gas mixture (for example: drop in uniformity index from UI = 0.95 to UI = 0.60 for a blade mixer design). This points out the need to purposefully design and optimize static mixers for a specific exhaust line configuration.
CitationSchiffmann, P., Lecompte, M., and Laget, O., "Experimental Investigation of Novel Ammonia Mixer Designs for SCR Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0343, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0343.
- Balland , J. , Parmentier , M. , and Schmitt , J. Control of a Combined SCR on Filter and Under-Floor SCR System for Low Emission Passenger Cars SAE International Journal of Engines 7 3 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1522
- Sharp , C. , Webb , C. , Yoon , S. , Carter , M. et al. Achieving Ultra Low NOX Emissions Levels with a 2017 Heavy-Duty on- Highway TC Diesel Engine - Comparison of Advanced Technology Approaches SAE International Journal of Engines 10 4 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0956
- Fulks , G. , Fisher , G. , Rahmoeller , K. , Wu , M. et al. A Review of Solid Materials as Alternative Ammonia Sources for Lean NOx Reduction with SCR SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0907 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0907
- Paul , E. L. , Atiemo-Obeng , V. A. , Kresta , S. M.
- Thakur , R.K. , Vial , C. , Nigam , K.D.P. , Nauman , E.B. et al. Static Mixers in the Process Industries-a Review Chemical Engineering Research and Design 81 7 787 826 2003 ISSN 0263-8762, http://dx.doi.org/10.1205/026387603322302968
- Lecompte , M. , Raux , S. , and Frobert , A. Experimental Characterization of SCR DeNOx-Systems: Visualization of Urea-Water-Solution and Exhaust Gas Mixture SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1524 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1524
- Kowatari , T. , Hamada , Y. , Amou , K. , Hamada , I. et al. A Study of a New Aftertreatment System (1): A New Dosing Device for Enhancing Low Temperature Performance of Urea-SCR SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0642 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0642
- Nishioka , A. , Amou , K. , Yokota , H. , and Murakami , T. A Urea-Dosing Device For Enhancing Low-Temperature Performance by Active-Ammonia Production in an SCR System SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1026 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1026
- Tenneco Automotive Operating 2009
- Audi Ag 2008
- Bosch Corp exhaust Gas Purification Apparatus for Internal Combustion Engine 2008
- IAV Gmbh WO2015DE100182 2015
- Peugeot Citroen Automobiles SA 2012
- Peugeot Citroen Automobiles SA 2011
- Liebherr Machines Bulle SA 2016
- Gadelius KK 1986
- Hitachi Ltd 2008
- Kleen Air Systems Inc 1999
- Alano , E. , Jean , E. , Perrot , Y. , Brunel , J. et al. Compact SCR for Passenger Cars SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1318 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1318
- Zheng , G. , Palmer , G. , Salanta , G. , and Kotrba , A. Mixer Development for Urea SCR Applications SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2879 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2879
- Padula , G. , Schiffmann , P. , Lecompte , M. , and Laget , O. Computational Fluid Dynamics Study of Gaseous Ammonia Mixing in an Exhaust Pipe Using Static Mixers SAE International Journal of Engines 10 4 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1018
- Schiffmann P. , Laget O. , Lecompte M.
- Cordier M. , Lecompte M. , Raux S. , Ricordeau V. , Chérel J. June 2016
- Winter , René 2011
- Hole , O.M. Measuring Ammonia: Development and Application of Measurement Techniques for the Detection of Ammonia Lund Report on Combustion Physics 2013