This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Temperature Prediction of Actual Contact Portion of the Metal Belt CVT
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In a previous study by the authors, austenite (γ phase) formed on the topmost of pulleys after long term operation of continuously variable transmission (CVT) . In general, martensite arising from heat treatment forms on the surface of pulleys and gears. Therefore, the sliding surface has a body-centered cubic (BCC) metal structure, and transformation into and existence of austenite (γ phase) is difficult unless there is a thermal history exceeding the eutectoid point. For the verification of that possibility, it was crucial to obtain temperature variation on the sliding surface. The major problem for such measurements was rotation of parts inside an operating CVT. In this study, uniquely developed measurement system enabled non-contact temperature measurement near the contact portion. Results were substituted to heat conduction equation to predict the temperature at the exact contact portion.
|Technical Paper||Development for Polymer Overlay Bearing Material for Recent Automotive Engine|
|Technical Paper||A Numerical Approach to Analyze the Power Transmitting Mechanisms of a Metal Pushing V-Belt Type CVT|
CitationMatsumoto, K., Koga, H., Taniguchi, H., and Mihara, Y., "Temperature Prediction of Actual Contact Portion of the Metal Belt CVT," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0122, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0122.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Matsumoto , K. , Watanabe , H. , and Yoshida , N. A TEM Investigation of Crack Formation Mechanism on Chrome-Molybdenum Steel Tested under Real Driving Conditions Tribology Transactions 56 897 907 2013
- ASM International Fundamentals of the Heat Treating of Steel Practical Heat Treating Second Edition ASM International 2006 9 25
- Suto , H. and Uchida , N. Stabilization of Austenite by Reverse Transformation Journal of the Japan Institute of Metals and Materials 8 779 786 1972
- Carlomagno , G.M. Infrared Thermography for Convective Heat Transfer Measurements Experiments in Fluids 49 6 1187 1218 2010 10.1007/s00348-010-0912-2
- Werner , W. Yieldable Support for a Submarine Periscope United States Pattent 1965 Carl Zeiss-Stiftung Konigsbroun
- McMahon , H.O. Thermal Radiation from Partially Transparent Reflecting Bodies Journal of the Optical Society of America 40 376 380 1950
- Matsui , M. , Miyatake , M. , and Taka , T. On the Apparent Radiation Temperature of Oil on Water TENKI 21 6 307 310 1974
- VECTIS 2004
- Turchina , V. , Sanborn , D.M. , and Winer , W.O. Temperature Measurement in Sliding Elastohydrodynamic Point Contacts Journal of Lubrication Technology Transactions ASME 96 3 464 471 1974