This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of Mirror Induced Wind Noise Using CFD-FEM Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 10, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Wind noise is becoming important for automotive development due to significant reductions in road and engine noise. This aerodynamic noise is dominant at highway speeds and contributes towards higher frequency noise (>250Hz). In automotive industry accurate prediction and control of noise sources results in improved customer satisfaction. The aerodynamic noise prediction and vehicle component design optimization is generally executed through very expensive wind tunnel testing. Even with the recent advances in the computational power, predicting the flow induced noise sources is still a challenging and computationally expensive problem. A typical case of fluid-solid interaction at higher speeds results into broadband noise and it is inherently an unsteady phenomenon. To capture such a broad range of frequency, Detached Eddy Simulation (DES) has been proven to be the most practical and fairly accurate technique as sighted in literature. Present work talks about the application of Detached Eddy Simulation (DES), as a computationally faster and cheaper method for predicting the flow and sound generation. In the present case a mirror mounted on SUV has been investigated numerically using Finite Volume Code, FLUENT in flow domain and FEM methodology with appropriate aero acoustic analogies in structural domain. In this study, the effect of mirror configuration on the vehicle interior noise has been presented. The analysis has been carried out on baseline mirror, new mirror (door mounted) and no mirror cases. The average sound pressure level inside the vehicle observed to be reduced by 17% with door mounted mirror compared to baseline mirror case.
CitationMukkera, S., Pandey, A., Krishna, K., Patil, S. et al., "Prediction of Mirror Induced Wind Noise Using CFD-FEM Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0221, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-26-0221.
- Moron , P. , Powell , R. , Freed , D. , Perot , F. et al. A CFD/SEA Approach for Prediction of Vehicle Interior Noise due to Wind Noise SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2203 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2203
- Watkins , S. , Thompson , M. , and Alam , F. Transient Wind Noise SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0096 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0096
- Lu , J. , Pyper , J. , Weber , R. , and Fisk , J. Windshields With New PVB Interlayer for Vehicle Interior Noise Reduction and Sound Quality Improvement SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1587 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1587
- Pyper , J. Use of PVB in Laminated Side Glass for Passenger Vehicle Interior Noise Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2728 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2728
- Lee , J. and DeJong , R. Vehicle Glass Design Optimization Using a CFD/SEA Model SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2306 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2306
- Peng , G. SEA Modeling of Vehicle Wind Noise and Load Case Representation SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2304 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2304
- Lepley , D. , Senthooran , S. , Hendriana , D. , and Frazer , T. Numerical Simulations and Measurements of Mirror-Induced Wind Noise SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 1550 1562 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2236
- Bremner , P. and Zhu , M. Recent Progress using SEA and CFD to Predict Interior Wind Noise SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1705 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1705
- Blanchet , D. , Golota , A. , Zerbib , N. , and Mebarek , L. Wind Noise Source Characterization and How It Can Be Used To Predict Vehicle Interior Noise SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2052 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2052
- Schell , A. and Cotoni , V. Prediction of Interior Noise in a Sedan Due to Exterior Flow SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8 3 1090 1096 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2331
- Hou , H. Automobile Wind Noise Speed Scaling Characteristics SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8 1 186 195 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1531
- Johannes , Hartkopf. , Mikkelsen. , and Borsen , DK. http://www.bksv.com/NewsEvents/News/Noise-hell-or-sweet-music B & K