This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD-Based Wave-Number Analysis of Side-View Mirror Aeroacoustics towards Aero-Vibroacoustic Interior Noise Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It has been shown that internal transmission of wind noise is dependent on the external aerodynamic and acoustic excitation around the automobile. Flow over the A-pillar and side-view mirror induces strongly convecting turbulence and associated acoustics which excite the side-glass. A useful tool to understand and quantify these physics is to perform temporal Fourier analysis (auto-spectra) and spatial Fourier analysis (cross-spectra and wave-number decomposition).
This study demonstrates the uses of wave-number decomposition to quantify the mechanisms associated with turbulent convection and acoustical propagation. A CFD computation using the commercial codes STAR-CCM+ is performed for the flow over a generalized side-view mirror in a freestream of 38m/s. LES-enabled turbulence is solved in a fully compressible framework so as to capture all the local acoustical propagation well beyond 3kHz. Pressures are sampled in the wake flow immediately downstream of the mirror in the region representing the side-glass. The spectral intensity, presented as a function of wave-number and frequency, is a powerful illustration of the convective and acoustical mechanisms present on various zones in the wake region. Wave number decomposition is made available directly in the commercial software, which avoids the need for data translation, mapping and data processing scripting.
The outcome from this transient CFD-analysis, though not demonstrated here, can be used for vibration and internal noise transmission using Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) or Finite Element Analysis (FE). An associated programme provides measurements of pressure spectral, vibration and transmitted noise data against which to validate the CFD.
CitationMendonca, F., Shaw, T., Mueller, A., Bremner, P. et al., "CFD-Based Wave-Number Analysis of Side-View Mirror Aeroacoustics towards Aero-Vibroacoustic Interior Noise Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0640, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0640.
- Bremner P.G. and Wilby J.F. Aero-Vibro-Acoustics: Problem Statement and Method for Simulation-Based Design Solution AIAA-2002-2551, 8 th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference and Exhibition Breckenridge, Colorado June 2002
- Smith M.G. , Latorre I. , Bremner P.G. and Mendonça F. Validation Tests for Flow Induced Excitation and Noise Radiation from a Car Window AIAA2012-2201, AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference Colorado Springs June 2012
- Siegert R. , Schwarz V. and Reichenberger J. Numerical Simulation of Aeroacoustic Sound Generated by Generic Bodies Placed on a Plate, Part II - Prediction of Radiated Sound Pressure AIAA-99-1895, presented at the AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference Bellevue, Washington May 1999
- Mendonça , F. , Read , A. , Imada , F. , Girardi , V. Efficient CFD Simulation Process for Aeroacoustic Driven Design SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0545 2010 10.4271/2010-36-0545
- Caraeni M. , Aybay O. and Holst S. Tandem Cylinder and Idealized Side Mirror Far-Field Noise Predictions Using DES and An Efficient Implementation of FW-H Equation AIAA-2011-2843, 17th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference Portland, Oregon June 2011
- Kumar B. Satish Transition Flow and Aeroacoustic Analysis of NACA0018 Acoustical Society of Korea, Spring Meeting May 2012
- Spalart , P.R. , Jou , W.H. , Strelets , M. and Allmaras , S.R. 1997 Comments on the Feasibility of LES for Wings, and on a Hybrid RANS/LES Approach First AFOSR International Conference on DNA/LES Ruston, Louisiana, USA 1997
- Arguillat B. , Ricot D. , Robert G. and Bailly C. Measurements of the wavenumber-frequency spectrum of wall pressure fluctuations under turbulent flows AIAA-2005-2855, 11th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference Monterey, California May 2005
- Van Herpe F. , Bordji M. , Baresch D. , and Lafon P. Wavenumber-Frequency Analysis of the Wall Pressure Fluctuations in the Wake of a Car Side Mirror AIAA-2011-2936, 17th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference Portland, Oregon June 2011
- Hartmann M. , Ocker J. , Lemke T. , Mutzke A. , Schwarz V. , Tokuno H. , Toppinga R. , Unterlechner P. , Wickern G. Wind Noise caused by the A-pillar and the Side Mirror flow of a Generic Vehicle Model AIAA 2012- 2205, 18th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (33rd AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference) 04 06 June 2012 Colorado Springs, CO
- Bremner P. Vibroacoustic Source Mechanisms under Aeroacoustic Loads AIAA 2012-2206, 18th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (33rd AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference) 04 06 June 2012 Colorado Springs, CO