This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of New I3 1.0L Turbocharged DI Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In recent years, more attentions have been paid to stringent legislations on fuel consumption and emissions. Turbocharged downsized gasoline direct injection (DI) engines are playing an increasing important role in OEM’s powertrain strategies and engine product portfolio. Dongfeng Motor (DFM) has developed a new 1.0 liter 3-cylinder Turbocharged gasoline DI (TGDI) engine (hereinafter referred to as C10TD) to meet the requirements of China 4th stage fuel consumption regulations and the China 6 emission standards.
In this paper, the concept of the C10TD engine is explained to meet the powerful performance (torque 190Nm/1500-4500rpm and power 95kW/5500rpm), excellent part-load BSFC and NVH targets to ensure the drivers could enjoy the powerful output in quiet and comfortable environment without concerns about the fuel cost and pollution. The combustion system with side-mounted 6-hole direct injector and 200bar injection pressure has been optimized by CFD simulation and optical engine investigation. To ensure performance output and transient responsiveness, an efficient and low inertia turbocharger was selected. Effective technical measures including friction reducing, thermal management, variable oil pump and Dual VVT were applied in order to achieve the good fuel economy. Special attentions have been paid to the engine structure design, mass balancing strategy and mounting system optimization to achieve excellent NVH performance which is at same level similar to a 4-cylinder TGDI gasoline engine. Benefited from the modular design concept, the engine size was minimized, which has the advantage for packaging, especially for hybrid vehicles.
Through the development work, the engine performance and BSFC targets have been achieved and confirmed by engine and vehicle tests. This engine has been installed in one of the passenger cars (1205 to 1320kg) and 18% fuel consumption reduction has been achieved in the NEDC cycle compared to 1.6L NA engine while maintaining fun-to-drive and NVH performance
- Shemin Zhang - Dongfeng Motor Corporation
- Huaping Li - Dongfeng Motor Corporation
- Tao Chen - Dongfeng Motor Corporation
- Nan Jiang - Dongfeng Motor Corporation
- Xinzhen Tan - Dongfeng Motor Corporation
- Limei Deng - Dongfeng Motor Corporation
- Qingsong Xia - Dongfeng Motor Corporation
- Paul Kapus - AVL LIST GmbH
- Mingtang Ma - AVL LIST GmbH
- Wei Li - AVL LIST GmbH
- Junqiang Zhang - AVL LIST GmbH
- Qingjun Ma - AVL LIST GmbH
- Yong Xia - AVL LIST GmbH
CitationZhang, S., Li, H., Chen, T., Jiang, N. et al., "Development of New I3 1.0L Turbocharged DI Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2424, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2424.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Shinagawa , T. , Kudo , M. , Matsubara , W. , and Kawai , T. The New Toyota 1.2-Liter ESTEC Turbocharged Direct Injection Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1268 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1268
- Lee , S. and Shin , B. The Design and Development of New Hyundai Kappa 1.2L Dual CVVT Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0416 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0416
- Shibata , M. , kawamata , M. , Komatsu , H. , Maeyama , K. et al. New 1.0L I3 Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1029 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1029