This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation Research of the Structural Downsizing of SCR Reactor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Currently, selective catalytic reduction (SCR) is one of the main after-treatment systems to control diesel engine NOx emission. But the SCR system is bulky, considering the limited installation space. Therefore, the design of SCR system with the compact structure and reliable performance is one of the essential topics. In this study, the structure parameters, such as catalyst cross-sectional area, catalyst length, substrate wall thickness, coating thickness, channels per square inch (CPSI) of substrate, are taken into consideration to study their effects on the SCR performance and narrow the scope of various structural parameters for the following optimization study. Then, the structural parameters of the SCR reactor are optimized by considering the coupling relationship among these structural parameters by using the Response Surface Methodology (RSM) at high load of diesel engine. The numbers of structural parameters are finally optimized as follows: cross-sectional area is 59612 mm2; length is 190 mm; CPSI is 350; coating thickness is 0.01 mm; substrate wall thickness is 0.21 mm. At the same time, NOx conversion rate is 94%; catalyst pressure drop is 733.9 Pa. Compared with the original, catalyst volume is reduced by 31.3%. Optimized structure parameters are validated. The differences between the predicted values and the simulated values of NOx conversion rate and pressure drop are within acceptable limits.
- Yonge Wu - State Key Lab of Engines Tianjin University
- Xingyu Liang - State Key Lab of Engines Tianjin University
- Ge-Qun Shu - State Key Lab of Engines Tianjin University
- Boxi Shen - State Key Lab of Engines Tianjin University
- Yuesen Wang - State Key Lab of Engines Tianjin University
- Xikai Liu - State Key Lab of Engines Tianjin University
- Zhijun Li - State Key Lab of Engines Tianjin University
CitationWu, Y., Liang, X., Shu, G., Shen, B. et al., "Simulation Research of the Structural Downsizing of SCR Reactor," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2387, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2387.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Jungmo O., Kihyung L., "Spray characteristics of a urea solution injector and optimal mixer location to improve droplet uniformity and NOx conversion efficiency for selective catalytic reduction," Fuel, 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2013.11.032.
- Miao Y, Lea-Der C, Yongsheng H, e al., "Study of SCR cold-start by energy method," Chemical Engineering Journal, 2009, doi: 10.1016/j.cej.2009.07.054.
- Han B., Shen Y.S., Zhu S.M., Liu Y.L., "Promotional effect of phosphorylation on CeSn0.8W0.6Ox/TiAl0.2Si0.1Oy for NH3-SCR of NO from marine diesel exhaust," JOURNAL OF RARE EARTHS, 2016, doi: 10.1016/S1002-0721(16)60128-X.
- Song Z., Yan L., Jinxi Z., "A Study on Exhaust Gas Emission Control Technology of Marine Diesel Engine," Advanced Materials Research, 2013, doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.864-867.1804.
- Lou D.M., Zhang Z.,X., Tan P.,Q., MA B., "Progress of Research on Selective Catalytic Reduction Technology for Vehicle Diesel Engine," Environmental Science & Technology,2009, doi:10.3969/j.issn.1003-6504,2009.12.023.
- Xubo G., Dongwei Y., Feng W., Jiawei D., "Modeling and simulation of urea-water-solution droplet evaporation and thermolysis processes for SCR systems, Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering," 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.cjche.2016.04.026.
- Koebel M, Elsener M, Kleemann M, "Urea-SCR: a promising technique to reduce NOx emissions from automotive diesel engines," Catalysis Today, 2000, doi: 10.1016/S0920-5861(00)00299-6.
- Li X., Wu G. T., Sun Y., "Parameter calibration of reaction kinetic for marine SCR catalyst," Journal of Dalian Maritime University, 2015, doi: 10.16411/jcnki.issn1007736.2015.02.020.
- Jeong, S., Lee, S., Kim, W., and Lee, C., "Simulation on the Optimum Shape and Location of Urea Injector for Urea-SCR System of Heavy-duty Diesel Engine to Prevent NH3 Slip," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3886, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3886.
- Soo-Youl P., Christopher R., "Analysis of SCR performance differences caused from flow characteristics of wall flow and flow through type substrate: A simulation study," Chemical Engineering Science, 2013, doi: 10.1016/j.ces.2012.11.016.
- Tang, W., Youngren, D., SantaMaria, M., and Kumar, S., "On-Engine Investigation of SCR on Filters (SCRoF) for HDD Passive Applications," SAE Int. J. Engines 6(2):862-872, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1066.
- Santos A, Bahamonde A, Schmid M, Avila P, et al., "Mass transfer influences on the design of selective catalytic reduction (SCR) monolithic reactors," Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 1998, doi: 10.1016/S0255-2701(97)00057-3.
- Enrico T, Alessandra B, "The role of inter- and intra-phase mass transfer in the SCR-DeNOx reaction over catalysts of different shapes," Catalysis Today, 1999, doi: 10.1016/S0920-5861(99)00079-6.
- Dhanushkodi SR, Mahinpey N, Wilson M, "Kinetic and 2D reactor modeling for simulation of the catalytic reduction of NO x in the monolith honeycomb reactor," Process Safety and Environmental Protection,2008, 10.1016/j.psep.2008.02.004.
- Yang B., Zhou C.B., Chen K., "Technology Roadmap of SCR After-Treatment for Diesel Application to Meet the Emission Regulation above CHINA 5," Value Engineering, 2017, doi:10.14018/j.cnki.cn13-1085/n.2017.07.040.
- Ma J.Y., Qu D.W., LI J., "Decomposition characteristics of solid reductant of vehicle SCR system," Journal of jilin University (Engineering and Technology Edition), 2015, doi: 10.13229/j.cnki.jdxbgxb201506011.
- Zhang W.J., Shuai S.J., Dong H.Y., Wang Z., ET AL., "3D Modeling of flow, Spray of Reductant and Surface Chemical Reaction in Diesel Urea SCR-NOx Catalytic Converter," Transactions of CSICE, 2007, doi: 10.16236/j.cnki.nrjxb.2007.05.009.
- Chi, J. and DaCosta, H., "Modeling and Control of a Urea-SCR Aftertreatment System," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0966, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0966.
- Schaub G., Unruh D., Wang J., Turek T., "Kinetic analysis of selective catalytic NOx reduction (SCR) in a catalytic filter," Chemical Engineering and Processing, 2003, doi: 10.1016/S0255-2701(02)00056-9.