This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design, Development & Testing of Test Rig Setup for UAV Propulsion System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 19, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the present market, multiple sophisticate and expensive Thrust Test Rigs for Brushless Motors (BLDC Motor) are available making it impossible to conduct such thrust analysis on a regular and cost effective basis. Moreover the present test rigs are incapable to measure high Thrust values. This needs specialized thrust testing rig which is more expensive.
This paper aims at Design & Development of the Small Scale Test Rig Setup for measurement of the thrust of any Brushless DC motor and helps in refining the Selection of motor and propeller. This is a set up based on cost efficiency factor to implement such rigs, test and for comparing the static thrust produced by the BLDC motor. The fairly simple construction contains a weighing machine, a Tachometer and a Wattmeter to measure the Thrust, RPM and the Current Drawn respectively, and provide comprehensive, accurate and efficient data coming from the BLDC Motor including the Propeller and Electronic Speed Control (ESC).
CitationM, P., Manoharan, D., Chandramohan, S., Chakkath, S. et al., "Design, Development & Testing of Test Rig Setup for UAV Propulsion System," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2064, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2064.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Hossain M. Raju and Dr. Krouglicof Nicholas, “Propeller Dynamometer for small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle” Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2010 doi: 10.1109/CCECE.2010.5575152
- Peponakis E.L., Paspatis A.G., Oikonomidis R.D., Barzegkar-Ntovom G.A., et. al “Simple Low Cost Setup for Thrust and Energy Efficiency Calculation for Small Brushless DC Motors” ECESCON 9, Volume: The Proceedings of 9th ECESCON, pp.85-89, 2016. Doi: 30.1309/ECESCON.2010.812281
- Prathapanayaka. R, Vinod Kumar. N, Santhosh Kumar. S, Krishnamurthy. S.J. Sharma Narendra “Realistic Assessment of Efficiencies of Micro Air Vehicle Propellers” International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 4 (2). pp. 442-449. ISSN 2319-8753, February 2015
- Deters Robert W. and Selig Michael S. “Static Testing of Micro Propellers 26th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics” 26th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Guidance, Navigation, and Control and Co-located Conferences, https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2008-6246
- Yoon Myunggon “A Transfer Function Model of Thrust Dynamics for Multi-Rotor Helicopters” International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, Volume. 5 - Issue. 01, January - 2016 e-ISSN: 2278-0181
- Vimal Raj V, Manu Stephen T, Sarath Kumar K, Vijay Kumar S “Performance Analysis of BLDC Motor under Moist Conditions” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) Nov.-Dec. 2016, e-ISSN: 2278-1684, p-ISSN: 2320-334X
- Muzar Dominic, Lanteigne Eric “Experimental Characterization Of Brushless Dc Motors And Propellers For Flight Application” Proceedings of The Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering International Congress 2016, CSME International Congress 2016, June 26-29, 2016,