This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Optimization of Novel High-Speed Electromagnetic Actuator for Electronic Fuel Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A novel high-speed electromagnetic actuator for electronic fuel injection system (EFIS) of diesel engine is proposed in this paper. By using a permanent magnet and an annular flange, the design of the novel actuator aims to overcome the inherent drawbacks of the conventional solenoid electromagnetic actuator, such as high power consumption and so on. A method of multi-objective optimization combined with response surface methodology and Genetic Algorithm (GA) is employed to obtain the optimal design of the novel actuator. First, combined with design of experiments and finite element analysis, the second order polynomial response surface models (SOPRSM) of electromagnetic forces are produced by the least square principle. Second, the complete multi-objective optimization mathematical model (MOMM) of the novel actuator based on SOPRSM is built, aiming to maximize the net electromagnetic force on the armature and minimize the drive current. Then, the Pareto optimal solution sets are obtained by GA and the optimal solution is determined for which the net electromagnetic force increases by 29.4% and the drive current reduces by 22.1%. Finally, the higher performance of the novel actuator is demonstrated by dynamic finite-element analysis (FEA) that the actuation response time is shortened by 20.4%, and the release response time almost keeps unchanged, besides, the coil ohmic loss is reduced by 28.8%.
CitationLiu, P., Fan, L., Peng, W., Ma, X. et al., "Design and Optimization of Novel High-Speed Electromagnetic Actuator for Electronic Fuel Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1640, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1640.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Herfatmanesh, M., Lu, P., Attar, M. et al., "Experimental Investigation into the Effects of Two-stage Injection on Fuel Injection Quantity, Combustion and Emissions in a High-speed Optical Common Rail Diesel Engine," Fuel, 109:137-147, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.01.013.
- Fan, L., Tian, B., Yao, C. et al., "A Study on Cycle Fuel Injection Quantity Variation for a Diesel Engine Combination Electronic Unit Pump System, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers," Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 226(5):712-723, 2012, doi:10.1177/0957650912445009.
- Payri, R., Salvador, F., Martí-Aldaraví, P. et al., "Using One-dimensional Modeling to Analyse the Influence of the Use of Biodiesels on the Dynamic Behavior of Solenoid-operated Injectors in Common Rail Systems: Detailed Injection System Model," Energy Conversion and Management, 54(1):90-99, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2011.10.004.
- Qian, D. and Liao, R., "Theoretical Analysis and Mathematical Modelling of a High-pressure Pump in the Common Rail Injection System for Diesel Engines, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers," Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 0:1-13, 2014, doi:10.1177/0957650914539677.
- Sun, Z., Li, G., Wang, L. et al., "Effects of Structure Parameters on the Static Electromagnetic Characteristics of Solenoid Valve for an Electronic Unit Pump," Energy Conversion and Management, 113:119-130, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2016.01.031.
- Ferrari, A., Paolicelli, F. and Pizzo, P., "The New-generation of Solenoid Injectors Equipped with Pressure-balanced Pilot Valves for Energy Saving and Dynamic Response Improvement," Applied Energy, 151:367-376, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.03.074.
- Salvador, F., Marti-Aldaravi, P., Carreres, M., and Jaramillo, D., "An Investigation on the Dynamic Behaviour at Different Temperatures of a Solenoid Operated Common-Rail Ballistic Injector by means of a One-Dimensional Model," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1089, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1089.
- Yin, C., Zhang, Z., Sun, Y. et al., "Optimization of Magnetic Circuit Configuration for GDI Injector Based on MOSA Algorithm," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, 49(4):531-546, 2015, doi:10.3233/JAE-150065.
- Liu, P., Fan, L., Xu, D., Ma, X. et al., "Multi-Objective Optimization of High-Speed Solenoid Valve Based on Response Surface and Genetic Algorithm," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1350, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1350.
- Yoo, J., Jung, J. and Hong, H. "Optimal Shape Design of Magnetic Actuators for Magnetic and Dynamic Characteristic Improvement," Journal of Magnetics, 16(3):268-270, 2011, doi:10.4283/JMAG.2011.16.3.268.
- Wang, Q., Yang, F., Yang, Q. et al., "Experimental Analysis of New High-speed Powerful Digital Solenoid Valves," Energy Conversion and Management, 52(5):2309-2313, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2010.12.032.
- Guo, H., Wang, Y. and Wen, Q. "Investigation on Comprehensive Performance of the EFI by MIM Technology," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, 42(4):579-588, 2013, doi:10.3233/JAE-131685.
- Cheng, Q., Zhang, Z., Guo, H. et al., "Improved Processing and Performance of GDI Injector Based on Metal Injection Molding Technology," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, 44(1): 99-114, 2014, doi:10.3233/JAE-131739.
- Seilly, A., "Helenoid Actuators-a New Concept in Extremely Fast Acting Solenoids," SAE Technical Paper 790119, 1979, doi:10.4271/790119.
- Seilly, A., "Colenoid Actuators - Further Developments in Extremely Fast Acting Solenoids," SAE Technical Paper 810462, 1981, doi:10.4271/810462.
- Mutai, H. and Yamasawa, K. "Fundamental Operations of a Multipolar Disk-solenoid," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on, 31(4):2445-2449, 1995, doi:10.1109/20.390155.
- Kushida, T., "High Speed, Powerful and Simple Solenoid Actuator “DISOLE” and its Dynamic Analysis Results," SAE Technical Paper 850373, 1985, doi:10.4271/850373.
- Rens, J., Clark, R. and Jewell, G., "Static Performance of a Polarized Permanent-magnet Reluctance Actuator for Internal Combustion Engine Valve Actuation," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on, 42(8):2063-2070, 2006, doi:10.1109/TMAG.2006.877269.
- Kim, J. and Chang, J. "A New Electromagnetic Linear Actuator for Quick Latching," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on, 43(4):1849-1852, 2007, doi:10.1109/TMAG.2006.892289.
- Overboom, T., Jansen, J. and Lomonova, E., "Application of a Permanent Magnet Biased E-Core Reluctance Actuator in a Magnetically Suspended Ceiling Actuator," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on, 46(6):2128-2131, 2010, doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2045112.
- Lim, S. and Min, S., "Design Optimization of Permanent Magnet Actuator Using Multi-phase Level-set Model," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on, 48(4):1641-1644, 2012, doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2173318.
- Hong, S., Ro, J. and Jung, H., "Optimal Design of a Novel Permanent Magnetic Actuator Using Evolutionary Strategy Algorithm and Kriging Meta-model," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, 9(2):471-477, 2014, doi:10.5370/JEET.2014.9.2.471.
- Jin, R., Chen, W. and Sudjianto, A., "An Efficient Algorithm for Constructing Optimal Design of Computer Experiments," Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 134(1):268-287, 2005, doi:10.1016/j.jspi.2004.02.014.
- Deb, K., Pratap, A., Agarwal, S. et al., "A Fast and Elitist Multiobjective Genetic Algorithm: NSGA-II," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 6(2):182-197, 2002, doi:10.1109/4235.996017.