This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Deceleration Rates of Vehicles with Disabled Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Tire disablement events can cause a drag force that slows a vehicle. In this study, the magnitude of the deceleration was measured for different phases of 29 high speed tire tread separation and air loss tests. These deceleration rates can assist in reconstructing the speed of a vehicle involved in an accident following a tire disablement.
CitationKoch, D., Beauchamp, G., and Pentecost, D., "Deceleration Rates of Vehicles with Disabled Tires," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1427, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1427.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Beauchamp , G. , Koch , D. , and Thornton , D. A Comparison of 25 High Speed Tire Disablements Involving Full and Partial Tread Separations SAE Int. J. Trans. Safety 1 2 364 385 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0776
- White , K. , Merala , R. , Desautels , D. , and Ellis-Caleo , T. Rollout Deceleration of Modern Passenger Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0616 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0616
- Cliff , W. and Bowler , J. The Measured Rolling Resistance of Vehicles for Accident Reconstruction SAE Technical Paper 980368 1998 10.4271/980368
- Gardner , James D. , and Shapley. Christopher G. The Role of Blowouts in Accident Causation New York City American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1987
- Robinette , R. and Fay , R. Drag and Steering Effects From Disablements of Run Flat Tires SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1316 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1316
- Tandy , D. , Tandy , K. , Durisek , N. , Granat , K. et al. An Analysis of Yaw Inducing Drag Forces Imparted During Tire Tread Belt Detachments SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0836 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0836
- Daily , John , Shigemura Nathan S. , and Daily Jeremy Fundamentals of Traffic Crash Reconstruction Jacksonville Institute of Police Technology and Management, University of North Florida 2006