This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advancements and Opportunities for On-Board 700 Bar Compressed Hydrogen Tanks in the Progression Towards the Commercialization of Fuel Cell Vehicles
- Kenneth Johnson - Pacific Northwest National Laboratory ,
- Michael J. Veenstra - Ford Motor Company ,
- David Gotthold - Pacific Northwest National Laboratory ,
- Kevin Simmons - Pacific Northwest National Laboratory ,
- Kyle Alvine - Pacific Northwest National Laboratory ,
- Bert Hobein - Ford Motor Company ,
- Daniel Houston - Ford Motor Company ,
- Norman Newhouse - Hexagon Lincoln ,
- Brian Yeggy - Hexagon Lincoln ,
- Alex Vaipan - Hexagon Lincoln ,
- Thomas Steinhausler - AOC, LLC ,
- Anand Rau - Crosslink Technologies
ISSN: 2167-4191, e-ISSN: 2167-4205
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Johnson, K., Veenstra, M., Gotthold, D., Simmons, K. et al., "Advancements and Opportunities for On-Board 700 Bar Compressed Hydrogen Tanks in the Progression Towards the Commercialization of Fuel Cell Vehicles," SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 6(2):201-218, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1183.
- Roylance, D.K. 1976. Netting Analysis for Filament-Wound Pressure Vessels, AMMRC TN 76-3. Composites Division, Army Materials and Mechanics Research Center, Watertown, Mass.
- Timoshenko, SP, and Goodier JN. 1970. Theory of Elasticity. 3rd Ed.McGraw Hill Inc., New York, NY.
- Whitney, JM, Daniel IM, and Pipes RB. 1984. Experimental Mechanics of Fiber Reinforced Composite Materials, Revised Edition. Society for Experimental Mechanics Monograph No. 4. SEM, Brookfield Center, CT.
- Peters, ST, Humphrey, and WD Foral RF. 1990. Filament Winding, Composite Structure Fabrication, 2nd ed. SAMPE, Covina, CA.
- U.S. DOE. 2013. Onboard Type IV Compressed Hydrogen Storage System – Current Performance and Cost” Record # 13010.US
- Roh, HS, Hua, and TQ Ahluwalia RK. 2013. Optimization of carbon fiber usage in Type 4 hydrogen storage tanks for fuel cell automobiles. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. Elsevier, Vol. 38, pp 12795–12802.
- U.S. DOE. 2015. Onboard Type IV Compressed Hydrogen Storage System – Cost and Performance Status 2015”Record # 15013.
- ASTM. 2013. Standard Test Method for Short-Beam Strength of Polymer Matrix Composite Materials and Their Laminates. ASTM D2344. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA.
- Nahas, M.N. Survey of Failure and Post Failure Theories of Laminated Fiber-Reinforced Composites. Journal of Composites Technology and Research. Vol. 8, No. 4, Winter, 1986. pp. 138–153.
- Aceves, S., Martinez-Frias, J.and Garcia-Villazana O. 2000. Analytical and experimental evaluation of insulated pressure vessels for cryogenic hydrogen storage. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Elsevier, Vol. 25, pp. 1075–1085.
- Aceves, S., Espinosa-Loza F., Ledesma-Orozco E., Ross T., Weisberg A., Brunner T., Kircher O. 2010. High-density automotive hydrogen storage with cryogenic capable pressure vessels. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Elsevier, Vol. 35, Issue 3, pp. 1219–1226.
- Aceves, S., Berry G., Petitpas G., and Switzer V. 2015. Thermomechanical Cycling of Thin Liner High Fiber Fraction Cryogenic Pressure Vessels Rapidly Refueled by LH2 Pump to 700 Bar. Project ID# ST111. Presented at the 2015 Annual Merit Review, Hydrogen Storage, Arlington, VA, June 10, 2015. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA.
- Ahluwalia, RK, and Peng JK. 2008. Dynamics of cryogenic hydrogen storage in insulated pressure vessels for automotive applications. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. Elsevier, Vol. 33, pp 4622–4633.
- Argonne National Laboratory2008. Technical Assessment: Cryo-compressed hydrogen storage for vehicular applications. October 30, 2008.
- Ahluwalia, RK, Hua, TQ Peng, JK Lasher, S McKenney, K Sinha, and J Gardiner M. 2010. Technical assessment of cryo-compressed hydrogen storage tank systems for automotive applications. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. Elsevier, Vol. 35, pp. 4177–4184.
- Shelby, R. 2008. Thermal endurance and cryogenic capable pressure vessel designs for a (L)H2 fueled Toyota Prius. Master’s Degree presentation, May 21, 2008. University of California at Berkeley.