This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impacts and Mitigation of Varying Fuel Composition in a Natural Gas Heavy-Duty Engine
ISSN: 1946-3936, e-ISSN: 1946-3944
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Citation: McTaggart-Cowan, G., Huang, J., and Munshi, S., "Impacts and Mitigation of Varying Fuel Composition in a Natural Gas Heavy-Duty Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 10(4):1506-1517, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0777.
- Ouellette P, Goudie D and McTaggart-Cowan GP. Progress in the development of natural gas high pressure direct injection for Euro VI heavy-duty trucks. Presented at ATZ International Motor Congress 2016. Available from: https://www.springerprofessional.de/en/progress-in-the-development-of-natural-gas-high-pressure-direct-/10000924. 2016.
- Dunn ME, McTaggart-Cowan GP and Saunders J. High Efficiency and Low Emission Natural Gas Engines for Heavy Duty Vehicles. IMechE Internal Combustion Engines Conference, London, UK, November 2013. Paper 040.
- McTaggart-Cowan GP, Rogak SN, Hill PG, Bushe WK and Munshi SR. Effects of operating condition on particulate matter and nitrogen oxides emissions from a heavy-duty direct injection natural gas engine using cooled exhaust gas recirculation. International Journal of Engine Research. 5(6). 2004. 499-511.
- McTaggart-Cowan, GP, Jones HL, Rogak SN, Bushe WK, Hill PG and Munshi SR. The Effects of High-Pressure Injection on a Compression-Ignition, Direct Injection of Natural Gas Engine. ASME J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power. 2006; 129(2):579-588
- Jones, H., McTaggart-Cowan, G., Rogak, S., Bushe, W. et al., "Source Apportionment of Particulate Matter from a Diesel Pilot-Ignited Natural Gas Fuelled Heavy Duty DI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2149, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2149.
- Bassi, A., "Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) as Fuel for Road Heavy Duty Vehicles Technologies and Standardization," SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0122, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-24-0122.
- Khalil EB, Karim GA. A kinetic investigation of the role of changes in the composition of natural gas in engine applications. ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power. 124. 2002. 404-411.
- Kubesh, J., King, S., and Liss, W., "Effect of Gas Composition on Octane Number of Natural Gas Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 922359, 1992, doi:10.4271/922359.
- McTaggart-Cowan GP. Pollutant formation in a gaseous-fueled, direct injection engine. PhD thesis, The University of British Columbia, 2006.
- McTaggart-Cowan GP, Rogak SN, Munshi SR, Hill PG and Bushe WK. The influence of fuel composition on a heavy-duty, natural gas direct-injection engine. Fuel. 89. 2010.
- Gu F, Jacob PJ and Ball AD. Non-parametric models in the monitoring of engine performance and condition: part 2: non-intrusive estimation of diesel engine cylinder pressure and its use in fault detection. Proceedings of the IMechE Part D: J Automotive Engineering. 213(1). 1999. 73-81.
- Potenza R, Dunne JF, Vulli S, Richardson D and King P. Multicylinder engine pressure reconstruction using NARX neural networks and crank kinematics. International Journal of Engine Research. 8(6). 2007. 499-518.
- Mocanu, F. and Taraza, D., "Estimation of Main Combustion Parameters from the Measured Instantaneous Crankshaft Speed," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0326, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0326.
- Zhao, X., Cheng, Y., and Wang, L., "Pattern Recognition Method Applied to Extract In-Cylinder Pressure Excitation Response from Measured Vibration Signals," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2703, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2703.
- Trimbly S, Dunne JF, Bennet C and Richardson D. Unified approach to engine cylinder pressure reconstruction using time-delay neural networks with crank kinematics or block vibration measurements. International Journal of Engine Research. 2016. DOI: 10.1177/1468087416655013
- Huang J and Mumford D. The Development of a Robust Accelerometer-based Start of Combustion Sensing System. DOE-42967-1, 2009. http://www.osti.gov/scitech/servlets/purl/993479
- Huang J, Ancimer R and Chen D. Method and Apparatus for Determining a Normal Combustion Characteristic for and Internal Combustion Engine from an Accelerometer Signal. US patent 8,078,389 B2
- Huang J, Chen D and Mumford D. Method and Apparatus for Using an Accelerometer Signal to Detecting Misfiring in An Internal Combustion Engine. US patent 8,108,131 B2
- Huang J. Method and Apparatus for Reconstructing In-cylinder Pressure and Correcting for Signal Decay. US patent 8,396,649 B2
- Munshi SR, McTaggart-Cowan GP, Huang J, Hill PG. Development of a partially-premixed combustion strategy for low-emission, direct injection high efficiency natural gas engine. Proceedings of the ASME Internal Combustion Engines Fall Technical Meeting, West Virginia. ICEF2011-60181. 2011.
- CARB Executive Order A343-000. Westport 15L HHDD engine emissions compliance certificate. [Online] 06-07-2010. [Cited: Oct 12, 2014] www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/mdehdehdv/2010/westport_hhdd_a3430006_14d9_0d20-0d01.pdf
- McTaggart-Cowan GP, Mann K, Huang J, Wu N and Munshi SR. Particulate Matter Reduction from a Pilot-Ignited, Direct Injection of Natural Gas Engine. Proceedings of the ASME Internal Combustion Engines Fall Technical Meeting, Vancouver, Canada. ICEF2012-92162. 2012.
- McTaggart-Cowan, G., Mann, K., Huang, J., Singh, A. et al., "Direct Injection of Natural Gas at up to 600 Bar in a Pilot-Ignited Heavy-Duty Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 8(3):981-996, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0865.
- McTaggart-Cowan, G., Mann, K., Wu, N., and Munshi, S., "An Efficient Direct-Injection of Natural Gas Engine for Heavy Duty Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1332, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1332.
- Carazo, AV. Novel Piezoelectric Transducers for High Voltage Measurement. Ph.D Thesis, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya: 242. 2000