This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement of Crashworthiness in a Hat-Shaped Component Made of 0.44%-Carbon Steel through Arc Spot Welding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
To reduce the weight of automobile bodies, application of high-strength steel sheets is expanding. Furthermore, middle and high carbon steels are expected to be used to lower the environmental impact and cost in the automobile steel sheet industry. However, it is necessary to enhance the joint strength of the steel sheets. In this study, hat-shaped components were made using resistance spot (RS) welding or arc spot (AS) welding on S45C steel sheets (including 0.44% carbon), 1.4 mm thickness and strength of 1180 MPa grade. A dynamic three-point bending test was conducted on the components and their crashworthiness was compared. Some RS welds fractured (separated) during the three-point bending test even though the diameter of the weld metal was increased to 5√t (t means thickness of the sheet); however, AS welds did not fracture. The absorbed energy of the AS-welded component was higher than that of the RS-spot-welded one by approximately 25%, when both welds had the same diameter of 5√t. The AS welding is therefore seemed to be effective to improve the strength of the weld and crashworthiness of the component for middle and high carbon steel sheets.
CitationFurusako, S., Tokunaga, M., and Yasuyama, M., "Improvement of Crashworthiness in a Hat-Shaped Component Made of 0.44%-Carbon Steel through Arc Spot Welding," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0476, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0476.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Satoh A. Koukyodokouhan no Mondaiten to Sonotaioh Journal of the JSTP 46 2005 534 548 551
- Clare G. Welding Advanced High-strength Steel is Pushing Welding Technology Penton’s Weld Mag 81 3 14 16 18
- Oikawa H. , Murayama G. , Hiwatashi S. and Matsuyama K. Resistance Spot Weldability of High Strength Steel for Automobiles and The Quality Assurance of Joints Welding in the World 51 2007 3/4 7 18
- Herai T. and Takahashi Y. Resistance Spot Welding of High Strength Steel Sheets IIW Doc. III-612-79
- Furusako , S. , Shinji , K. , Miyazaki , Y. , Nose , T. et al. Strength of Arc Spot Welded Joints in a High Strength Steel Sheet SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0786 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0786
- Furusako S. et al. Fatigue Strength of Arc-spot Welded Joints Using High-strength Steel Sheet (Report 1) Preprints of the National Meeting of JWS, No.96 114 115