This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Spot Weld Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Static and dynamic strength tests were performed on spot welded specimens made of dual-phase (DP) 780 and mild steels (DQSK). Lap-shear (LS) and cross-tension (CT) as well as a new mixed mode specimen were studied using MTS hydraulic universal testing machine for static tests and drop weight tower for dynamic tests. Three weld nugget sizes were made for each steel and CT and LS. DP780 with one weld size was also tested in mixed mode. Load and displacement as functions of time and fracture mode of the spot welds were recorded. Representative data are reported in this paper.
CitationChao, Y., Kim, Y., Feng, Z., Simunovic, S. et al., "Dynamic Spot Weld Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0032, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0032.
- Miller, K. W. Chao, Y.J. Martinez, A. Zhu, X.K. Liu, S. Wang, P.C. 2003 “Quasi-static and impact strength of fatigue damaged spot welds,” SAE paper 2003-01-0610
- Ewing, K. W. Cheresh, M. Thompson, R. Kukuchek, P. 1982 “Static and impact strengths of spot-welded HSLA and low carbon steel joints,” SAE Paper 820281
- Birch, R.S. Alves, M. 2000 “Dynamic failure of structural joint systems,” Thin-walled Structures 36 137 154
- Lin, S.-H Pan, J. Wu, S. Tyan, T. 2004 “Failure loads of spot weld specimens under impact opening and shear loading conditions,” Experimental Mechanics 44 147 157
- Recommended Practices for Test Methods for Evaluating the Resistance Spot Welding Behavior of Automotive Sheet Steel Materials , American Welding Society 1997
- Chao, Y.J. Wang, Kangping Deng, Yih-Charng, “Inertia Effect in Dynamic Impact Tests,” SAE paper 2004-01-0814 2004